To let unfurnished.

Suitcase

thanks for the info   there will be a fitted gas range and a washer dryer but nothing else at present. i suppise i could provide toasters kettles and the like, but im hearing things about PAT testing that sounds like added overheads.

When I started 20+ years ago I used to provide cooker, fridge, washing machine and a vacuum cleaner.

Now I provide a cooker, which is usually built in so I have no choice and a vacuum cleaner. Vacuum cleaners are quite cheap, we supply a Henry (costs less than £100 new) and the tenant has no excuse but to keep things clean and vac the carpets. I'm happy to remove my vac cleaner from the inventory if the incoming tenant has their own.

If there is a garden it's a good idea to offer a lawn mower. That way there is no excuse for tenant not to cut  the grass. Again I'm happy to remove lawnmower if tenant has their own. As gardens are quite small, a flymo does the job adequately.

If you have a really top of the range executive property then a tenant will probably expect all of that + a washing m/c, tumble drier, microwave, fridge, freezer. Most quality kitchens will have some of these built in. It's not normal to provide small electrical items like kettles, toasters, irons etc.

Washing M/c's are the single most problematic item generally. If anything is going to go wrong it's gonna be the wash m/c so I no longer provide them.

Personally I think it's best to provide the minimum you can get away with whilst still being able to attract tenants at the going market rent.

15 minutes ago, Richlist said:

When I started 20+ years ago I used to provide cooker, fridge, washing machine and a vacuum cleaner.

Now I provide a cooker, which is usually built in so I have no choice and a vacuum cleaner. Vacuum cleaners are quite cheap, we supply a Henry (costs less than £100 new) and the tenant has no excuse but to keep things clean and vac the carpets. I'm happy to remove my vac cleaner from the inventory if the incoming tenant has their own.

If there is a garden it's a good idea to offer a lawn mower. That way there is no excuse for tenant not to cut  the grass. Again I'm happy to remove lawnmower if tenant has their own. As gardens are quite small, a flymo does the job adequately.

If you have a really top of the range executive property then a tenant will probably expect all of that + a washing m/c, tumble drier, microwave, fridge, freezer. Most quality kitchens will have some of these built in. It's not normal to provide small electrical items like kettles, toasters, irons etc.

Washing M/c's are the single most problematic item generally. If anything is going to go wrong it's gonna be the wash m/c so I no longer provide them.

Personally I think it's best to provide the minimum you can get away with whilst still being able to attract tenants at the going market rent.

Thanks for the comprhensive reply. Its left me a lot to think about..Making an inventory never crossed my mind. i wouldnt say its an executive property but a couple of people have said it should rent out at £800 so perhaps any prospective  tenants would expect a few trimmings.. The garden will need some maintenace also, I suppose i could offer to cut the grass seeing as how its on the same block as me. 

Also the house has a double garage which is down the back street. I'm unsure whether to include use of this or use it for myself.  

I never provide washing machines. Too many bad experiences with tenants abusing them. Never had a problem with letting my properties out with that exclusion. Cooker & fridge freezer I normally provide. Some tenants already have their own fridge freezer which helps me out sometimes. My tenant turn over is very minimal, most stay for years.

Lawn mower .......Yes.  I am pretty relaxed about what I provide and will supply any reasonable request like gardening tools etc. I have a large inventory built up over the 30 odd years and the space to keep them. I am sad to report I have no less then 6 lawn mowers available.  😀 I am very fussy about my tenants keeping the gardens neat and tidy and will take them to task if they don't but to be fair I have never had a problem.

I am just about to take a property back after 6 years of occupation and it will be redecorated and upgraded in about a 4 week time cycle. Something that has to be done if you want to secure the best tenants.

2 hours ago, Melboy said:

I never provide washing machines. Too many bad experiences with tenants abusing them. Never had a problem with letting my properties out with that exclusion. Cooker & fridge freezer I normally provide. Some tenants already have their own fridge freezer which helps me out sometimes. My tenant turn over is very minimal, most stay for years.

Lawn mower .......Yes.  I am pretty relaxed about what I provide and will supply any reasonable request like gardening tools etc. I have a large inventory built up over the 30 odd years and the space to keep them. I am sad to report I have no less then 6 lawn mowers available.  😀 I am very fussy about my tenants keeping the gardens neat and tidy and will take them to task if they don't but to be fair I have never had a problem.

I am just about to take a property back after 6 years of occupation and it will be redecorated and upgraded in about a 4 week time cycle. Something that has to be done if you want to secure the best tenants.

I'm learning all the time on here. You've all been a great help.   What i learn on here will hopefully make me a better landlord.  

When I bought my first rental in 1987 I provided everything. Not anymore. Like the others above have said, appliances can be, and often are, a huge pain and some tenants often expect ridiculous service with machines repaired or replaced overnight. 

Lots to learn about letting. Consider joining the NRLA which gives invaluable advice 

https://www.nrla.org.uk/

Jackanory time. 😀

When I first started out it was normal for properties to be let fully furnished including washing machines. I put a brand new Hotpoint into my first property let in 1990 because it was back then ( and maybe still is now) the thing you did do.

I let the property to a couple through an LA.  I stated no smokers to the LA...... they both smoked. They wanted a washing machine installed as they said it was essential for them to have one so being a Rookie Landlord and on the advice of the LA I put one in.  They left after 7 months which was fine but what I didn't know was that the Man worked on the Motorways at night laying fresh tarmac! You know what is coming up don't you  😀  Yep! washing machine was clogged up with tar particles after 7 months where he use to put his tar soaked blue overalls in to wash them through and I wasn't made aware of this until about 2 months after they had gone by the new tenants complaining about all these black spots on their whites wash. The w/machine was a write off due to the build up of tar deposits in every pipe and the w/machine drum.

That is just 1 story of my 3 washing machine horror stories. I haven't put a washing machine into any of my properties now for nearly 20 years. Funny enough I do have a very nice Beko washing machine in my storage stash of "Useful equipment for Landlords."

1 minute ago, Melboy said:

That is just 1 story of my 3 washing machine horror stories. I haven't put a washing machine into any of my properties now for nearly 20 years. Funny enough I do have a very nice Beko washing machine in my storage stash of "Useful equipment for Landlords."

How many stories do we have between us I wonder?!

Don't even get me started on no-smokers and no-pets 😬

But yes, back in the day it was normal to provide everything. Ever-y-thing. I had one tenant who wanted bedlinen too but I drew a line at that. I did provide him with a mattress protector for the brand new mattress and a brand new pillow. When he stopped paying the rent (he lost his job) and I asked him to pay or leave I found a human-sized grease stain on the mattress and pillow where he slept with no bedlinen for however long he was there. Can’t remember now. Guess who had to make a trip to the skip that day?! 🤢

Hi to all.

When i acquired my first property let some 40 years ago, i fully furnished plus all white goods, now if i do supply any white goods i tell the tenant they are responsible for breakdowns, also i agree with them an amount they can afford each month to purchase the white goods, then when they leave they can take them. Job done

31 minutes ago, bil8999 said:

Hi to all.

When i acquired my first property let some 40 years ago, i fully furnished plus all white goods, now if i do supply any white goods i tell the tenant they are responsible for breakdowns, also i agree with them an amount they can afford each month to purchase the white goods, then when they leave they can take them. Job done

Good plan 👍

Cooker, carpets (well floor coverings), and window blinds.

The last time I let the previous had left a hoover and a wardrobe. I offered them as a gift to the new T, he was happy. "Don't want them back".

In Wales such needs to be removed by a registered disposal contractor, and records kept for 2 years. I circum navigated that as well.

Thanks for the comprhensive reply. Its left me a lot to think about..Making an inventory never crossed my mind. i wouldnt say its an executive property but a couple of people have said it should rent out at £800 so perhaps any prospective  tenants would expect a few trimmings.. The garden will need some maintenace also, I suppose i could offer to cut the grass seeing as how its on the same block as me.

My cheapest is £ 850 , all I supply is a hob and built in oven 

• 4 weeks later...

I supply white goods as I find it helps let the property quicker as its less hassle for the tenants to go out and buy them, but it definitely helps that the platform I use to rent the property is  amazing! I've been put off furnishing the property in the past as some tenants may want to bring their own bed or part furniture which would mean I would have to find storage for the furniture they did not want in the property.