Bathroom Replacement/ Refurbishment

Richlist

Does anyone have any experience of stripping out and completely refitting a bathroom in a rental property whilst the tenants remain in occupation ?

I have a one bedroom/ one bathroom property in desperate need of the work but with just one toilet I don't think its going to be possible. I guess one solution is to move the tenants into another one of my places temporarily whilst the work is carried out.

What do the rest of you ddo in these situations ?

If you disable the facilities your feasibly guilty of illegal eviction / harassment.

Moving them to temporary accom is significantly changing the terms of the contract.

Leaving sanitation in an unsuitable condition leaves you open to an order by the local housing inspector, when he's finished at college University and gained his NVQ. Too late to repossess then.

For us here to help you efficiently please inform,

when the tenancy started,

if after April 07 how you have protected the deposit,

if you have a g'tor,

if your RGI is up to date.

Do you realise that a property in disrepair will void your buildings insurance ?

Why have you allowed it to become or rented a property in such a poor state ? Do you consider this to be acting in a responsible fashion ?

Do you offer a bottom wiping service for your T's ?

Wait till they take a holiday.

Repossession is the only 'safe' way I see.

If you serve a S21 at least the inspector can't stop a repossession but by the time you get it back, in such an event, the Council will have organised the works and charged on to you anyway - if they become involved.

I have refitted bathrooms many times in rental property but never with a tenant in place.

In fact RL I have a place right now in the same situation as your predicament but I am going to wait until present tenant goes and then go in for a major strip-out and renovation.

Your only option is to wait until your tenant goes on holiday for a week and then do it.

My tenants are long term and very co-operative. They would like a new bathroom and are happy to suffer a weeks hassle or a temporary move to another furnished local property in exchange for a ne bathroom.

I've found a bathroom installer that guarantees to complete the work within 5 days......much less on small/ straight forward installations.......thats the whole thing.......strip out, any electric work. plastering, fit new bathroom, tiling, finish. They are also experienced with working on properties with only one toilet and leave the old one in place as long as possible, removing it only to fit the new one.

I often fit new bathrooms at my rental properties whilst the tenant is in situ .... and the solution is really easy!

You find out when the tenant is going on holiday for a week ... and you arrange for the bathroom to be replaced whilst they are away on holiday by using a reliable builder / plumber that you trust and know will get the job finished to a high standard within the allotted time period (ie: 1 week).

Hope that helps

Trenners

I often fit new bathrooms at my rental properties whilst the tenant is in situ ....

You find out when the tenant is going on holiday for a week ... and you arrange for the bathroom to be replaced whilst they are away on holiday by using a reliable builder / plumber that you trust and know will get the job finished to a high standard within the allotted time period (ie: 1 week).

Trenners

Off your sunbed yet Mark? B)

Yes and I know who you use as well. :D

I have yet to meet a jobbing builder who can install a bathroom to the same standard of a fully qualified bathroom installer /plumber. Nearly all the installations I have seen have lacked the finishing finesse required.

Having said that I shall be putting a new suite into that flat soon Mark after I have sourced a double glazing quote for the flat.

Hi Mike

I would like to take you up on your offer. I have a leaky tap in one of my properties. It is in the Outer Hebrides can you come round this afternoon.:D

Consider it done Grampa........the call-out charge to the Outer Hebrides is £1,500 inc VAT @20% and the cost for parts is 45p and 1hr labour charge (minimum time payable) of £25

No cheques please!

Thankyou for your custom.

Do you take greek euro's?

NO! and nor will anyone else in a few days time. :D

All this talking by the EU leaders and quietly the Greeks are emptying their bank accounts and buying pounds and dollars. (according to a family friend living and working in Corfu).

Archived