Jump to content


  • Content Count

  • Joined

  • Last visited

Community Reputation

0 Neutral

About Trenners

  • Rank
    Super Senior Member

Recent Profile Visitors

4,378 profile views
  1. Hi Mel, Not in Tenerife at the moment although I did use some of my letting agency profits to finally buy a place in the sun ... so I will be off soon. I didn't get a reply from this poster ... so I must assume he has given up .... which is a shame .... Hope you are keeping well .... maybe see you out at the Principe Bahia in Tenerife over the winter? Best Wishes Mark
  2. Hi Malcolm, My advice is ....don't give up ....... Creating a letting agency takes time ..... but it can be achieved ...... I should know ... as, after 10 years of being a landlord, I established my own letting agency (which I have subsequently sold for a very substantial 6 figure sum). You need to think very long and very hard "what makes you different from the other letting agents" and "why would a landlord choose you over the competition". You need to have a compelling proposition ..... but most importantly ........ being different makes you unique .... which means you sell on yo
  3. Hi My advice is to stop sending emails and organise a council of war meeting with the tenant at your property ASAP. It's clear he hasn't got the rent at the moment - which is probably why he is avoiding you. You need to agree a repayment plan with him .... explain that if he keeps to the repayment plan then you will take no further action otherwise you will evict. You could also ask that the rent be transferred to you directly from his employer out of his wages ... including any additional amount to contribute towards the arrears he owes. If he is a reasonable tenant then he will ag
  4. Hi Mel Yes ... I'm back and I've got a bottle of sherry reserved for you. Thanks for your help. Best wishes Trenners
  5. Hi The way I see it is .... you've had good tenants for a number of years ... they are splitting up now .... but they have assured you that they will continue to pay you the rent ...... They are fully communicating with you .... and they seem decent enough people to me .... HOWEVER ..... a single mother with a couple of kids will be fully entitled to Housing Benefit as long as the HUSBAND is removed from the tenancy agreement ..... if his name remains on that agreement ... then the Council are absolved of any responsibility ..... Given that the tenants have been so open and honest
  6. Hi everyone (and thanks for the name check Melboy), The reason why I got into letting property to DSS tenants ... and then helping other landlords let their property to DSS tenants as well .... is to minimise the void periods and thereby maximize my rental income and minimize costs (caused by advertising, tenant vetting, voids etc). If a property is void for 6 weeks a year (I think that is the industry average although mine are never empty that long) then the landlord loses 12.5% of their annual rental income whilst the property is empty. If you rent out to a DSS tenant ..... or indeed
  7. Hi tipster, I think that is wise ...... but you still need to protect that deposit as well - do it tomorrow - because the head of housing will not be as sympathetic when he finds out that you have been a rogue landlord and broken the law. I'm based in Wiltshire .... if by chance your Council is Swindon or Wiltshire or Gloucestershire ... let me know as I have some excellent relationships in those Councils. Send me a personal email to: mark@mlettings.com if I can help you further ... Good Luck (again) Mark
  8. Hi I think this comes down to a simple question. Was the flat clean when you moved it (I assume YES). Is the flat at the same level of cleanliness now that the tenancy has ended (I assume YES again) .... in which case the flats doesn't need cleaning - irrespective of what dodgy clauses might have been added to the tenancy agreement after you signed it. If the landlord tries to make a deduction for cleaning (when the flat is indeed as clean as when you took possession) then you need to reject this claim - in writing - and, if the landlord still refuses to refund all of your deposit, then yo
  9. Hi LHA - and a request to pay it directly to the landlord - is completed as part of the standard Housing Benefit Form (assuming you are entitled to receive the LHA benefit directly because your tenant is deemed "vulnerable"). A licence agreement can only be used to establish a tenancy within an HMO if the landlord, himself, is RESIDENT within the property. If the landlord doesn't live at the HMO then an Assured Shorthold Tenancy must be used. If you use a licence and you don't live at the property (which I assume you don't) ..... and you end up in Court for illegal eviction ... the Cou
  10. Hi Tipster, The way to resolve this is not, in my opinion, through Section 21 or Section 8. Section 21 can't be used anyway (because you failed to protect the deposit as previously discussed. More on this in a moment. Section 8 is an absolute minefield and I would strongly recommend you do not follow this route. Why? Well S8 involves going before a judge, in a court of law, where the astute tenant (who clearly knows her rights) will plead that you are the evil landlord (who has been horrible to her and hasn't protected her deposit and she is vulnerable etc etc) and she is the victim ..
  11. Hi waspie, I am much more sympathetic to your plight than, perhaps, some others on the forum. I totally agree that a Housing Association should demonstrate a clear duty of care to their tenants - not least because they are providing housing accommodation to some of the most vulnerable people in our society. I know that legislation does not demand periodic inspections ...... but that doesn't mean you should endanger the lives of your tenants (by not ensuring the accommodation provided is both safe and fit for human habitation). I am an accredited landlord with my local Council - and have
  12. Hi Stressed John, If it looks like a deposit, if it smells like a deposit ..... then it is a DEPOSIT irrespective of what the paperwork might say ... or what your "dodgy landlord" might say ...... The best way to get action from a landlord ... is to hit him where it hurts ... "IN THE WALLET" ...... If it was me ... I would refuse to move out of the property ... or remove my possessions .. or return the keys ... until he refunds MY DEPOSIT .... If he won't refund my deposit ... I will stay at the property until I have exhausted the rent payment (ie: used up all the deposit as rent) ...... I
  13. I often fit new bathrooms at my rental properties whilst the tenant is in situ .... and the solution is really easy! You find out when the tenant is going on holiday for a week ... and you arrange for the bathroom to be replaced whilst they are away on holiday by using a reliable builder / plumber that you trust and know will get the job finished to a high standard within the allotted time period (ie: 1 week). Hope that helps Trenners
  14. Hi axil23, If the tenant has given you a DEPOSIT and you have not protected it (in a Government approved scheme) then you have broken the law. I assume you have not protected it? If the tenant takes you to court and proves that he gave you a deposit and you did not protect it ... the judge will award THREE TIMES the deposit as compensation to the tenant ... meaning you will be forced to pay the tenant £750. This really really really is not worth fighting ..... I urge you to give the tenant his £250 back before this turns into a horrible, legal, can of worms ........ which you will probably
  15. Hi Axil23, Give him his deposit back .... and move on ... life is to short arguing with time wasting tenants over £250. It's not worth the stress, it's not worth the hassle, it's not worth your time. Instead, focus on finding another tenant asap that will appreciate your lovely property and appreciate you as a landlord. Good Luck
  • Create New...