Extractor Fans in double glazed window units

Grampa

As we all know condensation and mould is an reacuring problem in kitchens and bathrooms in rented property. Ideally an electric extractor should be fitted but the costs can be high with the ducting through lofts, drilling through wall, scaffolding etc. Also if the property is a flat you may have to get permission from the freeholder or managing agent and that can incur extra costs as well.

A cheaper option may be to have the fan installed in the double glazed window unit and then just get a sparky to wire it in (maybe into the lighting). I have never seen one in a double glazed unit and dont know if its possible. I have checked with a glazing company and they say they can supply a glass unit with a hole (so no vacum). I guess I need to find a suitable extractor now.

Has anyone come across one in a d/glazed unit.?

Two issues I can foresee.

The unit would act as a 'blown' d/g unit and condensation would form between the two panes.

A spacer would be needed between the panes as the fan is clamped to the glass, without the pressure on both panes would cause them to break.

No problem.........but only the double glazed window hole can be cut by the company supplying the glass. The extractor fan is sealed in along with the gas fill.

http://www.extractorfanworld.co.uk/vent-axia-140901a-335-p.asp

http://www.askglass.co.uk/extractor_fan_in_glass.html

I'd be surprised if the extractor fan itself was guaranteed for 10 years and then when the D/G fitted fan needs replacing it is likely to be far costlier than a wall fitted unit. I wouldn't touch one with your bargepole.

I have a large Vent Axia unit in a d/g unit in one flat and its been there for 20 years without any trouble, I have another smaller in one of the bathrooms which I fitted last year , also no trouble or the glass getting any dampness inside the glass

Grampa,

Returning to OP, if there's room in the wall I would get a quote for both possible solutions. Having had a d/g pane replaced (punctured by stone), I think a hole drilled with hole cutter straight through wall might be cheaper and would be more permanently reliable - no stress to glass.

You probably have answer to this by now!

Archived