Ways to rent the flat without agency?

randal_bond

Hi. 

Our long-term tenants are buying their own place and the flat is back on the market. The times have changed with Brex*t and tenants getting estate agency service for free. Before we could put it on GumTree, and within a week it was taken. Now we hardly get any interest, and it's not because of the price. We wouldn't even mind paying the agency, but we dealt with agents before, and they seem to be intent in filling the place with just anybody - we were repeatedly pushed to accept tenants who didn't earn enough to afford the rent. 

What are the other ways to advertise your rental property, except Gumtree?

Thank you.

You don't say why you don't want to use Gumtree.....I've always found it very useful.

Before you choose to deal with the letting yourself can I check that you are fully aware of and able to deal with all the legal & general admin required ?

* Tenancy Agreement.

* Inventory & schedule of condition.

* References.

* Deposit protection, prescribed information & confirmation deposit has been protected.

* Informing your mortgage lenders & insurers.

* Passport/Visa checks.

* Gas & electrical safety certificates.

* Energy performance certificate.

* How to Rent booklet....latest version.

* Smoke alarms on every floor.

* Carbon monoxide alarms.

* A template for reporting repairs

* Etc, etc.

Last time I checked there were around 22 documents required.

Apart from using Gumtree I have used, local newspapers, professional publications eg teachers, notice boards of larger employers in my area, local shop windows, any websites that allow such advertising etc.

I also have a list of criteria that potential tenants need to meet which I find more important than anything else.

...... here are a few more admin tasks :-

* Standing order form to receive rent payments.

* How to control condensation booklet.

* Legionella - tenant advice sheet.

* List of restrictions for leasehold property.

* Rent guarantee insurance.

* Guarantor documents.

Good luck.

You need to write your own....we all have unique wants. It's really quite simple.

Just decide what you don't want first.....e.g.   unemployed, cats & dogs, children, wfh, in receipt of housing benefit, non professional occupation, shift or night workers, anyone who doesn't qualify for Rent Guarantee insurance, anyone who only wants a short stay, anyone you haven't met personally, anyone without references, anyone offering 6 months in advance, anyone working in a dirty industry etc etc.

You're a courageous person, Richlist. When I mention on any forum that I don't want unemployed, I'm usually accused of discrimination, shamed and downvoted, LOL. Good for you. We live in sad times when we have to watch what we say. I feel it's more suffocating that living in the USSR where I came from )))

By the way, most agencies now work with city councils to house council tenants with private landlords. Apparently, it's a lucrative business for them. The agency that my hubby does EPC for as a sideline job, told him that council tenants are "brilliant, no problems whatsoever". We live near such block of flats and see police all the time there. The latest was some tenant there stealing a car and parking it right in front of the block. The car owners did some detective works and found it. All good fun )))

It is pure discrimination on my part but it's how you word your selection criteria that really matters.

Most landlords would, I suspect, prefer not to let to unemployed or part time workers and it would be very easy to ensure they are avoided if you specify full time working tenants only. You can safely use that description because anyone not working full time is likely to fail the Rent Guarantee Insurance criteria where affordability is taken into account. But of course there are always exceptions. I had an application from a trainee barrister who, working part time, didn't meet the affordability criteria but we agreed her mother could stand as guarantor and it was a complete success.

I would never let a property through my local council as I believe you will have no say in the tenants selected for you.

I would never let through any local council especially mine and that is based on a previous bad experience.

I would concur with everything that RL has said about tenant criteria and selection.

I have advertised on Gumtree many times with a 100% success and have and do still have excellent tenants but there again I have been extremely selective who I take on on.  You don't say where your flat is located and in these times of suitable rental property availability I find it surprising you cannot find a tenant. In my area of Wiltshire there would a queue at the door for any rental property coming to the market, letting agent or private.

I put my own board up, that has great success.

I used to advertise in local rags, that was successful.

I found Gumtree got unrealistic responses, some from great distance for some reason, perhaps they were just filling their day.

For me long term sick ok, unemployed not. No animals, but the Gov't look to be changing our say on that. No under 25's. Guarantor every time, and I check them more than the tenant for financial status. In flats no kids, but mine are 1 bed so would be over occupied.

I use OpenRent £29 that also puts on gumtree and Rightmove etc. I find it astonishing that a property is hard to let. Last time I advertised in August I had 82 enquiries in two days and then closed the advert and shortlisted 14 applicants. 10 of whom I could have proceeded with and chose from a strong bunch. I like tradespeople in particular. Posh folks doing renovations are a no in my book as they have never rented before and can be demanding and aren’t long term, so it isn’t always about vendors etc, it is about the fit for your property and time. 

On 10/28/2022 at 9:24 AM, fionaf said:

I use OpenRent £29 that also puts on gumtree and Rightmove etc. I find it astonishing that a property is hard to let. Last time I advertised in August I had 82 enquiries in two days and then closed the advert and shortlisted 14 applicants. 10 of whom I could have proceeded with and chose from a strong bunch. I like tradespeople in particular. Posh folks doing renovations are a no in my book as they have never rented before and can be demanding and aren’t long term, so it isn’t always about vendors etc, it is about the fit for your property and time. 

Thank you, it's really helpful. Looks like we found our tenant but good to know for the future.

FIona, we had tradesfolk in the past but they left the place quite dirty and were walking around in dirty boots, it looks like. What is your experience on cleanliness of this group as tenants? Also, do you find they tend to smoke a lot? (I know the agreement prohibits to smoke inside).

Tradespeople with a family don’t seem to smoke and keep the places spotless in my experience, electricians, tv engineers etc wouldn’t have muddy boots. On views I watch out for how they treat the home. I discounted one professional couple who walked in and had been in the nearby wood and walked mud in, I let to an Eastern European tradesperson who had the right to stay and who took off their shoes at the door. I don’t ask them to take off dirty shoes - I observe as that is going to be what they do when I am not there.