Notice period

Acura

Depends on how they have been during the tenancy.

The respectful and considerate ones might ring to discuss procedure. Then often they are considering a move and are effectively giving me advanced notice of notice. I usually tell the nice ones to keep me informed as they go, I ask for access for work / viewings and dates are often arrived at to mutual agreement.

T'others it's by the book.

How clear is the notice period explained in the tenancy agreement? The clearer the better avoids confusion with the tenant. However, we still get the odd tenant trying to pull a fast one and give four weeks notice knowing full well they have missed the date by a couple of days.

Your choice if you accept an alterative date subject to the clause in the AST.

It’s as clear as day in the contract and the MA informed them prior to them giving notice too. 

They wanted the house for 3 years minimum. We took out a mortgage so we could start our build. With them leaving at 2 years we have a hefty redemption as we have decided to sell rather than re-let. Not their problem but it’s another dent in our bank balance. 

They are being difficult stating we have been terrible LLs as they had no heating for 2 weeks. We gave them £200 towards their electric for that. Not our fault the boiler broke down and we acted within the hour of them reporting. 

Dishwasher broke down last Boxing Day. It’s not fixed yet because they don’t want the engineer there as they had a screaming match apparently due to him finding a water leak onto the electrics. Due to said screaming they didn’t want him back so demanded another engineer. Then the replacement got Covid. Ugh. He’s going tomorrow now but not good enough. When they move into their brand new home I’d like them to see just how owning a house works. Nothing is done instantaneously!!

I've always been very flexible with notices. I'm happy to take a phone call giving notice providing its followed up in writing. Notice can be any day provided its a full months notice. They can move out earlier provided rent is paid for the full months notice.

There is sometimes an issue with council tax if they move out early and are paying c/tax in their new property.

I find being flexible works to my advantage 99% of the time as the tenants keep me informed of their situation and allow viewings. As rent is paid in advance I usually have to refund overpayment.

I realise non of this is any real help to you in your situation.

Thanks all. 

We will see how the MA got on this evening talking to them and decide tomorrow. Might just cut our losses and let them go. All previous tenants have said we’ve been the best LLs ever. This pair call us the worst when actually, we’ve acted immediately as we’re back in the UK compared to previously in the US with a huge time difference. 

I have only really had one situation similar to the one you are talking about Acura and that was years ago and I remember clearly that I just wanted them gone as soon as possible irrespective of who was right or wrong on the matter.

Once the relationship between landlord and tenant breaks down then you have very little options open to you.

Some tenants just are trying their luck in requesting a earlier date.

If there is no risk to the property or other considerations that it is in your best benefit to release them early I would hold them to the correct notice period. After all, they will be very quick to remind you if you didnt give the correct notice period to them.