Carbon monoxide detectors..

Suitcase

Hi there, i rent out a terraced cottage with mains powered smoke alarms on each floor..My friend lets out an apartment in another town and his Letting agent had written to him informing him that a carbon monoxide detector has to be fitted to the apartment. My terraced cottage has no open fires or log burners and doesnt require a Carbon monoxide detector..I wonder why his apartment needs one. 

The regulations state that a carbon monoxide alarm is to be fitted  in any room which is used wholly or partly as living accommodation and contains a solid fuel burning combustion appliance. (i.e. rooms containing an open fire, log burning stove, oil burnt heating systems etc.)

I also put them in the room with the gas boiler but there is no legal requirement to do so but it gives peace of mind to tenants and landlords.

It is still not a mandatory requirement for gas boiler installations to have Carbon Monoxide detector fitted.

“It is a landlord’s responsibility to ensure that a carbon monoxide detector is fitted in any room within their rental accommodation which contains an appliance which burns solid fuel. Whilst gas and oil boilers do not fall within this category, it is still best practice to install alarms.”

It is vital that landlords maintain a record of the carbon monoxide alarms that they install and all checks made. Keeping these records will help to protect you against any unfounded claims.  (and I do). 

It is the responsibility of the tenant to maintain smoke and CO alarms during their tenancy (most don't of course in my experience but I have an annual check of them during any property inspection.

It is a good idea to include your smoke and carbon monoxide alarms in your inventory report which your tenants should sign to confirm that they are satisfied at the start and end of a tenancy.  I have a separate proforma signed document by landlord and tenant.

Just to digress.

I was in Wales doing a couple of pre electrical inspections last week.

A lady who enjoys a drink pointed to the ceiling and told me it wasn't possible for her to find a bulb to fit the recessed downlighter.

It was the remains of a smoke detector. Another T had already told me she belted one off the ceiling with a brush because it wouldn't stop bleeping (low battery bleep).

Nah, I'll fit minimum as it's still too much and too complicated for 'em.

Looks to me that you need to include a short IQ test on your tenancy application forms so that you can short list only the brightest applicants. 😉

I've started to take a lot of interest in applicants jobs.  Self employed electricians, plumbers, carpet fitters, anyone good with a sewing machine etc or anyone with a large van or special skills could prove to be especially useful when there's a job that needs doing.........we can both benefit.

you might be ignoring where the tool boxes go, where the left over materials off the job will be stored (always to good to get rid of).

Tins of paint, half bags of plaster, mucky dust sheets. At least the McDonalds wrappers will be left down the country lane.

As for the IQ test, like Diane Abbott "I've just got the test results back, negative, hooray."

11 hours ago, Richlist said:

I've started to take a lot of interest in applicants jobs.  Self employed electricians, plumbers, carpet fitters, anyone good with a sewing machine etc or anyone with a large van or special skills could prove to be especially useful when there's a job that needs doing.........we can both benefit.

I can support that statement 100%.  My tenant of 6 years and about to move into his own property is a qualified and skilled carpenter. In the 6 years of occupation of my property he has installed all new fencing to the rear garden.  New Patio slabs.   Built new decking  and many other things as well.  He has also completed many other jobs for me on my other properties.

I did give below market rent to compensate a bit for his work. The bottom line is we worked together and it suited both of us with this arrangement. He will continue to undertake work for me in the future.

1 hour ago, Suitcase said:

My smoke alarms were fitted by a very tall fireman and now i cant easily reach them. so i have sympathy with the sweeping brush lady.  

She's only 5ft and a bit, I suppose I could always fit them lower.

Fancy putting ceilings so high anyway :D.