Exploitative Tenant

Maash

Hi,

I would like to have your advice and opinions about dealing with an exploitative tenant. 

In September 2018 I regretfully rented my 3-bedroom fully renovated and furnished house in Manchester to a newly settled  Syrian refugee family. I honestly sympathised with their claim that they had to quit their previous accommodation because of racial abuse and their suffer from the war in Syrian, stating that they just need a temporary accommodation until they find a cheaper place. We made a one year tenancy agreement but I did not comply with the Tenancy Deposit Protection Scheme as I was told that they would leave in few months. I was naive and have no previous experience. 

In March 2019, after numerous complaints and endless moaning about being unable to use the washing machine and the TV and breaking few furniture items, which I dealt with immediately,  he stopped paying the rent, accusing me of providing a bad landlord reference to a letting agency because they decided not to let the house to him. He refused to accept that I provided a good reference and that it was not my fault that they did not let the house to him but he did not believe me.

He then he said that he cannot afford paying the agreed rent as the job centre stopped paying him housing benefit, and he showed me a letter from the job centre. I reduced the rent by £200 provided that he leaves the property in three months. He then asked me to provide him with an eviction notice, and issued him a Section 21 notice through a solicitor. He then asked for an eviction notice from the court to be eligible for a Council House / Accommodation. I refused to get involved in this matter any further and I started a repossession of property procedure in July 2019, which apparently what he was after from the beginning. 

After 3 postponements of court hearings because the tenant did not speak English, the court eventually provided an interpreter for him. In December 2019, the tenant made a housing disrepair counterclaim, asking for compensations for his daughter's asthma and bedbugs problems, which he never complained about before. Apparently, he was entitled for Legal Aid to prepare the counterclaim so he did not pay any solicitor's fees.

I was disappointed about the lengthy legal procedure and concerned about further delays and potential costs of surveys and expert fees etc. Therefore, I reached a settlement agreement with him in January 2020 and presented to the court, by which I agreed to give up all the payable rent and he agreed to leave my property by 29 March 2020. A court order to this effect was eventually issued in March 2020. Guess what! It is now May 2020 and he is still living in my property rent free and we can't enforce the court order due to the current Corona Situation.

From time to time he disturbs me by disrepair complaints to the Council about gas leaks and dampness etc, which are all false. I told the Council recently that he is illegally occupying my property and that he previously threatened to destroy my house and I even provided pictures of the condition of my renovated and furnished property from inside and outside (attached) before he rented it but they don't seem bothered about it, asking me to seek a legal advice.

I believe that this exploitative tenant is carefully guided on how to take advantage of the system and the kindness and naivety of people in this country benefiting from being a refugee with a family just to proof that he is eligible for a Council accommodation. 

As you can see, this is a very bitter experience that drained me out mentally, physically and financially, and I wish no one would ever experience.

I would appreciate any enlightening and advice about what to do with this exploitative tenant.  Please feel free to ask any questions.

Thank youAfter Refurbishment.pdf

You dont need me to tell you the numerous mistakes you have made from day 1. So moving forward i suggest you join the Guild of Residential Landlords  https://www.landlordsguild.com/ which will cost you only £90 pa and they will be able to advise you  on all the legalities on your next steps. I  have no connection with them other being a member, landlord and letting agent.   

I am unable to offer you advice that will be of comfort.

As Grampa, you need good help here.

I have a friend that was involved with M/cr council and their team to improve the housing standards. He was a manager. They take no prisoners. The tenant has cited a vulnerable occupant, this would cause the council to take a keen interest. I'm surprised they haven't been threatening you with notices to carry out repairs.

Tbh, I don't see how you get the tenant out during this crisis, unless it is voluntary. and then where are they likely to find as an alternative home?

Your expenses must be staggering by now, and your losses wow. The stress must be affecting your health. Each time you return to a solicitor both will be increased.

Have you attempted to calculate the future 'likely' losses / expenses? You might come out better by offering a cash settlement, but in exchange for a surrender notice from the tenant 'once he and family are out'. Considering your story and the support for the tenant I would be careful that this has no legal come back.

Maash you have just learnt one of life's big lessons as a landlord and most landlords have experienced the same or very similiar circumstances that you are having right now.

Some landlords give up and get out totally disallusioned with what they have experienced as a landlord. I have known many, whilst others, like me and many of the contributers on this forum carry on, but oh!  so much wiser in the fact that you are not a branch of social services when you are a business landlord offering a service.

You have broken ALL the rules of a novice landlord and sadly you are paying the price for it but you will learn from this episode and toughen up if you decide to carry on in the business of being a landlord.

I can only wish you good luck in the result but as you have already been advised your best course of action now is to hand over to the professionals to get this ignorant tenant out of your rental property asap.

https://www.landlordaction.co.uk/   I have no connection whatsoever with this company but I do know they do a professional job from a recommendation.

Look at it this way - you have a possession order - that is a big success so as soon as the courts look like they may be back at work get onto the court bailiff, pay the £105 fee and let them get him out. Be on standby on the day with a locksmith just to make sure they don't get back in or let mates in.

What you write shows that he is expecting to get re-homed by the council. - Yet another load of useless people let into this country to take our hard earned money by devious means.

Golden rule in letting with a decent property - only let to working persons - ideally dual income and no kids.  Twice the chance of getting rent, less damage as the tenants are out at work and don't fall for these sob stories. Check prospective tenants out thoroughly - even if using an agent - ask to see the references. Learn the job is best bet.  Agree with Mel on Landlord Action.

10 hours ago, Grampa said:

You dont need me to tell you the numerous mistakes you have made from day 1. So moving forward i suggest you join the Guild of Residential Landlords  https://www.landlordsguild.com/ which will cost you only £90 pa and they will be able to advise you  on all the legalities on your next steps. I  have no connection with them other being a member, landlord and letting agent.   

Thank you very for your response. Indeed, I have made a great mistake. I have only one house to rent, and I am also a tenant. I will consider joining https://www.landlordsguild.com/. I have a court order, which I plan to enforce by the bailiff after the Corona crisis is over. My objective from this post is to share my experience as a landlord with yourselves so no one make the mistakes I made.  

6 hours ago, Carryon Regardless said:

I am unable to offer you advice that will be of comfort.

As Grampa, you need good help here.

I have a friend that was involved with M/cr council and their team to improve the housing standards. He was a manager. They take no prisoners. The tenant has cited a vulnerable occupant, this would cause the council to take a keen interest. I'm surprised they haven't been threatening you with notices to carry out repairs.

Tbh, I don't see how you get the tenant out during this crisis, unless it is voluntary. and then where are they likely to find as an alternative home?

Your expenses must be staggering by now, and your losses wow. The stress must be affecting your health. Each time you return to a solicitor both will be increased.

Have you attempted to calculate the future 'likely' losses / expenses? You might come out better by offering a cash settlement, but in exchange for a surrender notice from the tenant 'once he and family are out'. Considering your story and the support for the tenant I would be careful that this has no legal come back.

Thank you for your response. I sustained a lot of pain and stress not to mention huge losses of rent and legal fees over the past year. Although I appointed a property agent to deal his issues but he does not cooperate with them. Instead, he goes to the council and exaggerate things to them and then they contact me or the property agent about his alleged complaints. For example, he complained about a gas leak twice over the past six week. I immediately send a gas engineering and found no gas leak. Imagine how much time and money is wasted by doing this to deal with simple issues. I just want to warn the authorities about such a tenant so he does not fool them. He has been pocketing the housing benefit that he is supposed to pay for renting my house for over a year. I do not know if I can tell the Job Centre to deduct it from his benefit, and how to do this. Do you have any idea? Thank you again.

6 hours ago, Melboy said:

Maash you have just learnt one of life's big lessons as a landlord and most landlords have experienced the same or very similiar circumstances that you are having right now.

Some landlords give up and get out totally disallusioned with what they have experienced as a landlord. I have known many, whilst others, like me and many of the contributers on this forum carry on, but oh!  so much wiser in the fact that you are not a branch of social services when you are a business landlord offering a service.

You have broken ALL the rules of a novice landlord and sadly you are paying the price for it but you will learn from this episode and toughen up if you decide to carry on in the business of being a landlord.

I can only wish you good luck in the result but as you have already been advised your best course of action now is to hand over to the professionals to get this ignorant tenant out of your rental property asap.

https://www.landlordaction.co.uk/   I have no connection whatsoever with this company but I do know they do a professional job from a recommendation.

Thank you for your response. Indeed, it is a huge lesson and I am paying the price. I empathised with his situation as a Syrian refugee etc. This is a lesson to everyone in this forum. Unfortunately, I have now lost trust in people and I became suspicious about their intention because of the bad experience I am going through. I already approached https://www.landlordaction.co.uk/ but I ended up doing this agreement with tenant through a local solicitor office. Let's us hope that bailiff resume working to enforce the court order soon. 

5 hours ago, Mortitia said:

Look at it this way - you have a possession order - that is a big success so as soon as the courts look like they may be back at work get onto the court bailiff, pay the £105 fee and let them get him out. Be on standby on the day with a locksmith just to make sure they don't get back in or let mates in.

What you write shows that he is expecting to get re-homed by the council. - Yet another load of useless people let into this country to take our hard earned money by devious means.

Golden rule in letting with a decent property - only let to working persons - ideally dual income and no kids.  Twice the chance of getting rent, less damage as the tenants are out at work and don't fall for these sob stories. Check prospective tenants out thoroughly - even if using an agent - ask to see the references. Learn the job is best bet.  Agree with Mel on Landlord Action.

Thank you for your response. I realised that I had made a big mistake.Therefore, I tried to minimise my losses by reaching an agreement and giving up the rent for one year. That is what I planning to do when bailiff resume working. I will take your advice on board to rent to working people only. 

This person has been in this country for less than 3 years, and he is making all this mess to everyone. I fear that he is just copying what other similar people are doing and many people will such devious things in the future. I was appalled to see that the system is giving them an easy ride. While the landlord is paying a huge price, he is not losing any thing. His legal fees are paid for and he is receiving benefits, and will be rehoused if he got evicted what more could you ask for. I feel that I need to warn potential landlord from such people and get the system reformed. 

It is a very simple thing to request the HB or UC to be paid direct to the landlord when there are arrears. If you dont have the skills or knowledge to do it yourself it just emphasizes how important it is for you to join a landlord organisation.  

As Grampa, when rents are 8 weeks in arrear you are entitled to receive the Housing Benefit direct to you. From the point you make HB aware they will at least freeze payments till they decide on the correct outcome of their investigation.

Very recently I rang to inform, they then requested my claim for the HB by email. All HB payments not yet paid to the tenant are now mine. This was actually 3 weeks of HB prior to my phone call.

First call them, and with a little more leisure you can create you proof to head off the tenant defending. My proof is a rental statement alongside a comprehensive letter.

• 2 months later...

Hello 

It was the 5th May 2020 since I uploaded my above post on this wonderful forum. I would like to thank all of you for your valuable thoughts and ideas to help me to find a way out of this difficult situation and pursue the eviction of this exploitative tenant.

I would like also to update you on some important developments so we may all learn lessons from this terrible experience. Your thoughts and ideas on the steps that I may take to evict this tenant are again most welcome.

1)  The court order that I thought was enforceable was apparently unenforceable. Two well-known solicitors firms that I approached, including Landlord Action, confirmed that the court order is only a consent order and cannot be legally enforced by the bailiff because it did not state that the eviction would be enforceable if the tenant failed to leave my property by 28 March. This is a major mistake made by my previous solicitor because he did not anticipate that this could happen and the tenant would not leave my property by 28 March.  Therefore, I appointed a new solicitor, who is now claiming the fees of about £1000 from the previous solicitor for his professional malpractice. We might take our complaint to the Ombudsman for a decision.  

2) The Housing Benefit Department started paying me the Housing Benefit that they pay to the tenant as of 22 June 2020, which is a bit lower than the rent amount but something is better than nothing. Thanks to the advice I received from our forum members to guide me to do so. The rent arrears stands now at over ten thousand pounds for over year of rent. I am not sure if I need to contact the Housing Benefit to  deduct this money from the tenant's housing benefit as this money is a tax payer money and it is supposed to be paid to the landlord and not to take personal advantage of it. 

3) My new solicitor advised that we can not apply to the court to enforce the court order before 23 August. He recommended that we agree a Deed of Surrender whilst we are waiting for the courts to resume functioning on 23rd August and to avoid further lengthy legal proceedings etc. But the tenant's solicitors said that they don't have legal aid funds to cover the case and to pay for an Arabic interpreter for the tenant. 

This tenant is still living in my house and has caused me a lot of pain and distress for nothing just to abuse the system to get a council house. I regret everything I did for him to help him to settle down considering he was a Syrian refugee with a family looking for housing, without asking for any reference.  I told me that the other day that was applying for a disability allowance for his wife, which I doubt that it is truthful and he told me also that he was working at a grocery shop without informing the job centre.  I wish I can report him but I do not have evidence. 

I am keen to have your ideas or thoughts on any point I made in this post.  Please feel free to contact me if you have any question.

Thank you all for your kind support.

If and when the HB become aware that any HB claim is incorrect they will likely stop payments, that is now your loss.

HB can also be recovered from you should HB believe they have over paid in the past. You would be caused to repay this if you received it.

Good luck with attempting to claim from another solicitor, this might be more good money after bad as your new solicitor doesn't do this for nowt. He may just be enjoying the additional business from you.

It sounds like the defendants solicitor is out of funds to defend. But this is sticky stuff. There is no need for a solicitor to act during a surrender, or the dealing of a deed of surrender, I've done these myself to persuade an abuser to naff off. For you though being sure there is no future claim of illegal eviction is of great importance.

Will you ever get your lost rents back?

Will you ever get your ever growing legal expenses back?

Will you ever be compensated for any damage to the property?

In short it may be beneficial to forget your losses and reduce any future losses by drawing a line under this very sorry episode. For that thought the tenant / family need somewhere else to go to, or any offer of financial write off of debt is likely pointless. Put yourself in his shoes and consider what is required to make this work for him, then see if that's possible for you.

You looking for justice, it just 'aint designed like that.

• 2 months later...

Hello everyone

I just want to update you on my struggle to evict the Syrian refugee tenant from my property in Manchester.

1)  The tenant still in breach of the court order and the agreement I reached with him in December 2019 to move out by March 2020. I am still unable to apply for enforcing the court order because of Covid 19 situation. I have been told that I can now apply to get him removed from my house in certain circumstances. I am waiting to hear from my solicitor who has been a way for the past two weeks. 

2) I have been receiving his housing benefit for the past three months, since 22 June 2020, which is less than the rent but is better than nothing

3) He is still making exaggerated and fake claims of disrepair to the Council and the Council is just acting like a call centre for him. Finally, the Council agreed do an inspection under notice of the housing standards this week after I explained to them that the tenant is making these disrepair allegations and deliberately vandalising things in my property to justify his illegal stay in my property without paying rent as part of his plans gain the authorities support and to get council housing if he eventually got evicted by the bailiff similar to his Syrian refugee peers who, as he told me, managed to secure council housing. Unfortunately the council in Manchester is not interested to listen to my calls.

4) He refused last month to leave the house for few hours to allow for two arranged treatments of bedbugs and mice demanding hotel accommodation, as per the Pest Control Company report. Fortunately, I realised that it is his responsibility as per the tenancy agreement to combat pests and mice. Two weeks ago, he got his children's school to call me to complain that his children come to school with bedbugs bites. The school is now aware of his tricks and threatened him to report him to the Social Service. He has now arranged these services by himself, but he is asking me to take my damaged furniture by the mice and bedbugs or he will through them away. 

5) My property agent withdrew his services last week as he is no longer have the time and energy to deal with such a trouble maker tenant. I don't know if another property agent will take on this job while we are in such a limbo situation.

6) He only rented my house two years ago. He has now accumulated £10,700 rent arrears since April 2019. This includes over £6000 rent arrears I already agreed to give up when I reached the settlement agreement in December 2019 to get him move out but he is still there and yet trying to inflict maximum losses by making false allegations of disrepair. 

7) I reported him to the Housing Benefit for working illegally at a Cash & Carry Shop and possibly faking a disability claim for his wife, that he previously asked me to fill it in for him, which I declined. I also asked to get him to pay back his housing benefit that he might have pocketed and not paid towards his rental costs.  I wish I can report his fraudulent and dishonest behaviour to other government bodies but I am not sure how and whether it would have implication on me as I do not have solid evidence. Any ideas?

Please read the previous posts for more details. I am sorry for the lengthy posts but I am trying to give you maximum details in order to form insightful view of my misery with this exploitative tenant. 

Any ideas or thoughts from you are welcomed. 

Thank you very much

The only thing I can offer you is sympathy.  This refugee does not warm hearts and minds in anyway does he. Myself personally would never touch a tenant such as this anyway for the very reasons you are experiencing right now.

What I do know from talking to people is that these so called "refugees" have an army of government public money funded lawyers behind them to ensure that they receive everything by way of legal representation including the left-wing Shelter organisation that also receive public money to exist. This is the reason why only 1 in 7 illegal immigrants are deported from the UK and that can be after many years of being here in the UK. There is a case going on right now here where I live where an "economic" refugee has been here for 10 years and now faces deportation.    10 years?   it should be no longer than 10 weeks to make that decision on their legal request and right to stay in the UK.

Your personal case and experiences should be a warning to all who read this sorry tale from you that a private landlord is not a branch of the social services or immigration services.

On 7/23/2020 at 11:38 AM, Carryon Regardless said:

HB can also be recovered from you should HB believe they have over paid in the past. You would be caused to repay this if you received it.

Your informing the HB that the tenant isn't entitled to the benefit might well work out expensive for you.

But the state does need your money,

as do the solicitors, but less so.

It is not a good idea to report any suspicions that he may be working and also claiming HB or UC if you are receiving the hb payment directly.

1.  He could be entitled hb even though he is working due to only earning a low wage.
  2. The council could claim back all they have paid you and you couldn't claim you didn't know which is a valid excuse. (as you reported them)
  3. He could be validly claiming benefits (which you  are receiving) which would then be suspended while the council investigate your suspicions and stop payment to you. The tenant would have no incentive to answer the councils questions to clear up the enquiry because you are the one getting the payment.   

I would also check your property agents T&C's as I think its bad practise to just drop you as a client just because its getting a bit messy and time consuming for them. Request 1.a copy of their complaints proceedure and 2. which redress scheme they belong to.

3 hours ago, Grampa said:

It is not a good idea to report any suspicions that he may be working and also claiming HB or UC if you are receiving the hb payment directly.

1.  He could be entitled hb even though he is working due to only earning a low wage.
  2. The council could claim back all they have paid you and you couldn't claim you didn't know which is a valid excuse. (as you reported them)
  3. He could be validly claiming benefits (which you  are receiving) which would then be suspended while the council investigate your suspicions and stop payment to you. The tenant would have no incentive to answer the councils questions to clear up the enquiry because you are the one getting the payment.   

I would also check your property agents T&C's as I think its bad practise to just drop you as a client just because its getting a bit messy and time consuming for them. Request 1.a copy of their complaints proceedure and 2. which redress scheme they belong to.

Thank you for your contribution and sympathy with my situation.

I decided to report the tenant to HB for many reasons;

-  He continued to report me to the council for disrepair that he never reported to my estate agent, which it was increased after I managed to get his HB paid to me, after he did not comply with the court order to move out in March 2020.

- I felt it was my duty to inform the HB about his possible fraudulent behaviour as he might have been claiming HB but he was pocketing it instead of paying it to me as his landlord.  

- I don't think the HB will stop paying me his HB if he is entitled to it as he is breach of a court order. 

- I wouldn't wish this experience to anybody and I wanted the authorities to be aware of such behaviour. 

In regard to my estate agent, It was not him who let the house to this tenant. It was actually me upon a recommendation from my local shop owner, thinking that he was in need for a temporary place to stay after he was supposedly racially harassed by some local residents in his previous place. The shop owner later on regretted introducing him to me and helped to reach an agreement to leave my property in March 2020 but he didn't.  The estate agent agreed to manage my property in July 2019 and he was hopeful that the tenant would move out in peace as he was not paying the rent. It turned out that it was not as easy as he thought as things go complicated and the tenant was very aggressive and rude towards him and his staff. I don't think that another agent will be interested in taking on managing my property while we are in this mess. 

Thank you for your thoughts, much appreciated. 

• 6 months later...
On 5/5/2020 at 7:50 AM, Maash said:

Hi,

I would like to have your advice and opinions about dealing with an exploitative tenant. 

In September 2018 I regretfully rented my 3-bedroom fully renovated and furnished house in Manchester to a newly settled  Syrian refugee family. I honestly sympathised with their claim that they had to quit their previous accommodation because of racial abuse and their suffer from the war in Syrian, stating that they just need a temporary accommodation until they find a cheaper place. We made a one year tenancy agreement but I did not comply with the Tenancy Deposit Protection Scheme as I was told that they would leave in few months. I was naive and have no previous experience. 

In March 2019, after numerous complaints and endless moaning about being unable to use the washing machine and the TV and breaking few furniture items, which I dealt with immediately,  he stopped paying the rent, accusing me of providing a bad landlord reference to a letting agency because they decided not to let the house to him. He refused to accept that I provided a good reference and that it was not my fault that they did not let the house to him but he did not believe me.

He then he said that he cannot afford paying the agreed rent as the job centre stopped paying him housing benefit, and he showed me a letter from the job centre. I reduced the rent by £200 provided that he leaves the property in three months. He then asked me to provide him with an eviction notice, and issued him a Section 21 notice through a solicitor. He then asked for an eviction notice from the court to be eligible for a Council House / Accommodation. I refused to get involved in this matter any further and I started a repossession of property procedure in July 2019, which apparently what he was after from the beginning. 

After 3 postponements of court hearings because the tenant did not speak English, the court eventually provided an interpreter for him. In December 2019, the tenant made a housing disrepair counterclaim, asking for compensations for his daughter's asthma and bedbugs problems, which he never complained about before. Apparently, he was entitled for Legal Aid to prepare the counterclaim so he did not pay any solicitor's fees.

I was disappointed about the lengthy legal procedure and concerned about further delays and potential costs of surveys and expert fees etc. Therefore, I reached a settlement agreement with him in January 2020 and presented to the court, by which I agreed to give up all the payable rent and he agreed to leave my property by 29 March 2020. A court order to this effect was eventually issued in March 2020. Guess what! It is now May 2020 and he is still living in my property rent free and we can't enforce the court order due to the current Corona Situation.

From time to time he disturbs me by disrepair complaints to the Council about gas leaks and dampness etc, which are all false. I told the Council recently that he is illegally occupying my property and that he previously threatened to destroy my house and I even provided pictures of the condition of my renovated and furnished property from inside and outside (attached) before he rented it but they don't seem bothered about it, asking me to seek a legal advice.

I believe that this exploitative tenant is carefully guided on how to take advantage of the system and the kindness and naivety of people in this country benefiting from being a refugee with a family just to proof that he is eligible for a Council accommodation. 

As you can see, this is a very bitter experience that drained me out mentally, physically and financially, and I wish no one would ever experience.

I would appreciate any enlightening and advice about what to do with this exploitative tenant.  Please feel free to ask any questions.

Thank youAfter Refurbishment.pdf

Update – Tragedy is still going on!

Please let me have your thoughts and idea on the following updates.

Manchester Council dismissed the tenant's new disrepair allegations following an inspection visit to the property in October 2020. The tenant tried very hard to convince the officer of some simple issues in the property to justify his disrepair allegations, which were mainly due to his deliberate vandalism, lack of care and hygiene. The council officer refused the disrepair allegations by the tenant and asked me to fix the broken items such as replacing the broken saniflow, kitchen sink unit and few bits and pieces, which costed me over £2500.

- The court is yet to make the order I have enforceable. The court listed the case for review in December 2020 but asked us to file a re-activation notice. The case was listed again for review in February 2021 but the court asked us again to submit a bundle of documents, which we already provided in November. We are still waiting for a date for the third review.

- The tenant is still ignoring the court order to leave the property by March 2020. He has accumulated rent arrears of about £11,000, which includes £6000 that I agreed to give up in exchange of leaving the property by March 2020. He is now calm after he failed to convince the Council of his disrepair allegations.

- My solicitors don’t prefer to make a fresh application to the court to claim the 11K rent arrears on the bases that the tenant did not comply with the court order, and did not leave as agreed by March 2020, and that his disrepair claims have been dismissed by the Council. My solicitors think that such  application might have an adverse impact on the original eviction case, implying that I should give up this money altogether, or start a new case after we secure eviction. 

- I am still receiving his Housing Benefit since July 2020, but my request for backdated HB that was paid directly to the tenant from April 2019 to June 2020 (14 months) was declined despite the tenant failed to comply with the court order and his disrepair allegations were dismissed by the council. This shows that they are unwilling to investigate the tenant's pocketing HB, which confirms a similar case appeared in the Landlord Zone website. Please see this link. https://forums.landlordzone.co.uk/forum/housing-benefit-questions-hb-lha-dss/71241-any-consequences-for-a-tenant-if-they-don-t-pass-on-housing-benefit-to-their-landlord

- The Revenue and Benefits Unit of Manchester City Council stated in their reply that I can appeal their decision to their Appeal Officer within one month from now or I can put my case directly to an independent tribunal.

I wonder if you have any thoughts or ideas about possible routes or actions that will help me to recover the £11K of HB unlawfully pocketed by the tenant. This will help me to offset part of the huge litigation costs and cost of vandalism which I sustained since July 2019.

I think this has gone far beyond our abilities to suggest any 'legal' means of resolution.

Of interest, the council inspector rejected claims of disrepair, good. That suggests the property was habitable and in an acceptable state at best, but at least points to you not being responsible for any apparent damage. Why did you authorise repairs for a simple request from the officer?

I had similar, to a lesser degree, in Wales some years back. The council inspector stated the tenants living condition were lifestyle and not my responsibility, but requested I repair a toilet that didn't flush easily. "I would rather not go into that sh*t hole till I have the repossession," (action in place", "do you mind if I leave it till then?"

"Yes, that sounds reasonable."

My general rule is that if they create the sh*t then they should live with it. As long as I/ we are permitted to that is.

If your solicitors have advised against making/amending the claim for further arrears at this stage TAKE THEIR ADVISE. 

You need to prioritise the 2 issues. The most important thing is to get your property back. Deal with any further arrears at a later date as they wont go away and be still be owed. However, you have to realistically decide what your chances are of ever getting the arrears out of this person. If they are on benefits this is very very unlikely so put it out of your mind FOR NOW and revisit at a later date if practical. 

• 8 months later...

Hi All,

I am pleased to let you know that this exploitative tenant was finally evicted on 17 November 2021 through the court pursuant to a new court order based on a new mutual agreement by which this tenant agreed to vacate the property by 17 November 2021 and acknowledged that he owes rent arrears of about £4000.  We were supposed to have a trial hearing on the same date because the tenant argued in the previous hearing in September 2021 that the original eviction notice he was issued in July 2020 was one-week shorter than the legal notice period.

The judge then decided to adjourn the hearing to 17 November 2021 for a final showdown to decide case. The judge excluded the alleged disrepair issue as it was already settled in the previous agreement and the subsequent court order of December 2019 by which I gave up £6000 to get him to move out by March 2020, but he did not leave on this agreed date and he carried on occupying the property and started fresh disrepair allegations through the council. The country was in lockdown because of Covid-19 and the council eventually inspected the property in October 2020 and dismissed his disrepair allegations and asked me to fix few things he vandalized. During this period he accumulated new rent arrears for about £4000 before I managed to get his housing benefit paid to me. 

My solicitor then served him a new eviction notice in October 2021 to leave within two weeks considering that he owes me new rent arrears for about £4000. I think that his solicitor might have advised him that he had no way to win and probably advised him to give up possession of the property.

The council range me to ask why he was evicted. I told them the story that he fabricated all this to get a council house and he was receiving housing benefit but did not pay the rent. However, I think they will be obliged to provide him with accommodation as he has four kids. I am not sure if he would succeed in getting a council house.

I don't think I will ever get the new £4000 rent arrears. Therefore, my total losses during this three-year bitter legal battle are as follows: 

1) 10K loss or rent

2) £10K litigation costs

3) £10K fixing vandalized things. This includes two new boilers, two sets of sofas as the house was furnished etc.  

I got the property now in a terrible condition. I decided first to sell it in the auction but the valuation was too low. Therefore, I decided to refurbish it, The refurbishment is currently in progress and it exceeded £15,000 as it involved a new kitchen and a new toilet and new UPVC windows and front and back doors.

I hope I will find a good tenant this time. Any recommendation and advice on how to get a good tenant or a recommended estate agent in Manchester is welcome. 

I owe you a BIG Thank You all for your kind and useful advice and support, and wish you all a very merry charismas and new year. 

Maash

Good to hear the outcome was successful. 👍

Do not let this destructive tenant get away with anything though.   Take out a small claims court order against him. It's cheap, it's not too much hassle to set up and more importantly he will get a CCJ against him which will mess up his credit and personal life and warn other organisations that this particular nasty person is not to be trusted.

Be very careful who you choose to be your next tenant and If you do this yourself then follow Richlists comprehensive  selection guide before allowing anyone to have the keys to your property.

My list includes.....

* Don't let your property to anyone who doesn't speak English or who needs an interpretor.

* Be wary of letting to anyone from overseas.

1. They may have little or no knowledge of modern western culture e.g they won't understand day to day life in 21st century Britain. They may not understand heating systems, cookers, fridges, freezers, washing machines, vacuum cleaners etc. OR

2. They come from a society/ family that has employees in their home to deal with cleaning, cooking etc and are unable to do these things for themselves.

3. They may never have experienced cold weather, in particular, an English winter.