Corona Virus

Richlist

I was planning to sell a property this year. Section 21 notice served, tenants due to vacate in April. So, we would be putting it on the market in May.....some 3 months away and probably at or near the peak infection period for Corona Virus.

We are now having second thoughts. I think the sales market will dry up considerably with the inevitable massive impact that large swathes of the country disrupted through sickness, closed shops & businesses etc will have.

Normal life will change considerably for months. Could be at least a year before things improve.

Anyone else planning for the next year or so ?

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nope!   Keep calm and carry on.

It's 4 years almost to the day that I was struck down with a flu virus and I was ill, very ill for almost a month. I was about to be carted off to the hospital by the doctor if my condition didn't improve within 3 days of taking strong anti-biotics.  I lost nearly a stone in weight and the sweats were just unbelievable I just leaked water uncontrollably. It took me another 4 weeks to get back to normal.

Corona virus cannot be any worse than what I experienced. Perhaps I am now a flu virus carrier. 

You had better clear the forum.....now.  😀

I am calm, there's no sense of panic of panic on my part (yet), BUT it kinda seems appropriate to do a bit of forward planning. The next 6-12 months is gonna look very very different for all of us. I suspect the only buyers will be those looking for large discounts due to the Virus epidemic.

We had planned to go to Venice in May for my 'special' birthday - not booked yet though and things are not looking good but it would be quiet☺️

Agree with Melboy - keep calm and carry on.

I was in Asda this afternoon and the loo roll aisle was emptied out!  I made an employee climb up to the very top racks to get me the last 2 x 12 packs.....well I have an Airbnb to cater for too.  That's another thing - will they cancel and want refunds?  What if someone gets it whilst in the Airbnb house?

The new James Bond film release has just been delayed until November!       

Too late Richlist if you've issued S21 - you could always re-let.

Hand Gel?  Luxury item?   I use a normal liquid soap dispenser mixed with cap full of Dettol disinfectant. (other disinfectants are available). Does the job as good if not better than any hand gel.  I have a Dettol spray can as well and I will spray the exterior door handles every day whilst this Corona virus alert is going on.   Phones get an antiseptic wipe as well.

Being "elderly" apparently I am at a high risk of snuffing it if I get this Corona virus.  I cannot afford to die.........just yet.  😄

Apparently to work against the virus the hand sanitizer has to have a alcohol content of at least 60%. 

Any way there is some cracking prices on cruise holidays at the moment. Book one up for next year and just pay the minimum deposit for now. Worth a punt for 1-2 hundred quid now. 

News Flash.

2 people returned to the UK from North of Northern Italy without any signs of the Coronavirus (so I suppose that'll be ok anyway then being North of the North) . But now they're saying the incubation period might be as long as 24 days by 'eck. We'll be returning t' pub for an alcohol rinse again tonight then.

Since I have a fair portion of HB T's (unintended as it 'appens) do I now have an advantage if everyone else is going to lose money by being sick, they can be sick too but I still get HB?

Conversely my younger tenants have the disadvantage of an old landlord who, according to the BBC news, is most likely to croak it at the first sign of a cough.  😀     😷

On 3/4/2020 at 7:07 PM, Mortitia said:

We had planned to go to Venice in May for my 'special' birthday - not booked yet though and things are not looking good but it would be quiet☺️

Agree with Melboy - keep calm and carry on.

I was in Asda this afternoon and the loo roll aisle was emptied out!  I made an employee climb up to the very top racks to get me the last 2 x 12 packs.....well I have an Airbnb to cater for too.  That's another thing - will they cancel and want refunds?  What if someone gets it whilst in the Airbnb house?

The new James Bond film release has just been delayed until November!       

Too late Richlist if you've issued S21 - you could always re-let.

Are your Airbnb and Booking.com bookings down ? I have noticed that ours have dropped considerably in the last 2 weeks, but a house that sleeps 8 in Weymouth is still getting bookings with Blue Chip 

21 hours ago, Richlist said:

Glad you can keep a sense of humour.......it's gonna get considerably worse before it get any better.

Always RL................Here's my take on it.  In a previous working life I trained in biological warfare and the subsequent results of a biological war breaking out.  By the the 1970's it was pretty well accepted by the military that a nuclear war would not happen as the resulting consequences would reveal no winners in the aftermath however the use of some biological weapon would be far better as it would only wipe out the population but leave the infrastructure complete and undamaged.  Not ideal of course but a better alternative to an atomic bomb blasting everything to smithereens and of no use to anyone with a thousand years of uninhabitable dust.

It is known that there is a biological testing station just outside of Wuhan and I would say something has escaped from there to produce what we now know as Covid 19.  This Covid 19 has all the hallmarks of a nerve agent where the human lungs are affected and you drown in your own lung fluid build up.    Perfect cover up to call it a Corona virus.  

Anyway that's my take on the present situation and I can bet you your property portfolio to mine that there is far more to this situation than we are being told right now.     Rule No.1    Do not spread mad panic amongst the civilian population.

The British though, in true panic form, have decided that multi packs of toilet rolls was the most essential item to hoard with this Corona virus going around forgetting of course it should be old newspapers cut into quarters which are far more plentiful.

I was going to ask this forum to update their earlier comments in light of latest developments but there is no need.

It seems the UK, along with many other countries is undoubtedly going to experience a major upheaval of day to day life over the next 6-12 months. Any vaccine is 12-18 months away.

Property sales are going to be a dead duck so, I've decided not to put mine on the market in late April/ early May because by then I will be focusing on staying alive.

It's going to be bad news for Agents, many won't survive but then neither will pubs, restaurants and businesses generally etc.

Plan for the worst, hope for the best, stay safe.

It's always good if you can remain positive.

Of course if you are in a high risk catagory by virtue of age or existing medical condition or have friends/ family affected you may have a different view. Or perhaps if you are in an industry likely to be seriously affected......such as Estate Agencies.....you might be excused for making contingency plans.

I've cancelled my trip to Spain on Monday as the Spanish Gov have declared a state of emergency. All bars, restaurants and beaches etc are closed for the next 15 days.......so their tourist industry is over at the moment. Jet2 have cancelled all flights to Spain......their planes turning around mid journey. But, don't panic we are definitely not all doomed.......we should have a fix in 12-18 months.

For those of us that were around in 1968 which was the last great flu epidemic I don't recall such draconian actions taking place in the UK. World Wide there were over 25 million people who died of the Hong Kong flu virus.

I am not saying the UK should not take steps to contain this present flu virus but it is at the moment a bit over the top with the actions going on.......unless of course it's not a flu virus but something much more serious. So only 11 people have died in the UK and nearly all had serious underlying health problems whereby a normal Winter flu bug could have have seen them off.

In 2018

Average annual deaths from normal flu in the UK is 6000. In 2008/9 there were 13000.

But it's early days, we haven't achieved the peak yet and it's gonna be with us for another 12-18 months at least. Reports suggest we are 4 weeks behind Spain so we can anticipate a similar lockdown in the UK sometime soon. A lockdown won't fix the issue but hope is it will bring the number of cases down to an NHS manageable number. No doubt there will need to be repeated lockdowns throughout the year. 

One thing is for sure.......there won't be any football fixtures in another 14 days !

I'm no longer seeing figures for increase in those infected, just those who've lost their battle. Mind the figures are unreliable anyway as testing is very limited and there seems little point in doing other than self isolating if you feel you may have it. The authorities are no longer going to be aware, and anyway hospitals are dangerous places.

The increase Thursday was reported as 25%, Friday 35%, a doubling of infected each 3 days or so seems a reasonable assumption. The Gov't are  or have invited this to achieve a desired position of herd immunity before next winter is my belief. That's a gamble and would require much stronger controls to prevent over infection, that being too many, that then creates a totally unmanageable health service for them and civil unrest becomes more likely.

I have no right to cause infection of those who have a different opinion but I'm not hiding from this. I have restricted our social interactions since returning from Italy, mainly away from those that feel we are a threat but feel there is some advantage to me / us taking our chance in getting this thing, over and done with hopefully. 

If 'some' predictions are correct it'll be the recovered that will be of value to others that need help.

The pub was very quiet last night.

If you think far enough ahead, the next danger of course is that the virus mutates and comes back again in a much stronger/dangerous strain.

Apparently this is what happened in 1918 with Spanish Flu.....it was the 2nd strain that killed the most.

There is nothing to fear but fear itself said Franklin D Roosevelt.