Energy Suppliers

I don't mind if a T penalises themselves with a bad tariff set up, but I can see how an incoming later T might be disadvantaged. Also years ago most of my properties were on a non standing charge tariff, as I get properties back none are. This of course means a disadvantage to me during voids.

As far as I'm aware we aren't able to dictate suppliers and tarifs and that in itself can be bad for us as the dreaded British Gas employ sly tactics to gain an account.

Does anyone here attempt to 'direct' T's with this?

It could also be handy to know if a T is creating a situation where a key meter is to be fitted. Maybe we could then head off the evil thing, maybe by persuading a g'tor that it would be expensive to ignore. Any thoughts?

I advise my tenants as follows:-

* They are permitted to change the gas or electricity supplier but must advise the landlord of any change.

* They are not permitted to have a pre pay meter installed.

* They have permission to arrange to have a water meter fitted if they wish.

All I ask is that they keep me informed of any changes, additions, serial nos, meter locations etc. Works fine for me.

We have just had a tenant leave after 6 years in occupation , lo and behold they have had a key meter fitted despite they must not change suppliers of have a key meter fitted without our written consent, the ingoing tenant luckily was fine having the key meter as she knows where she stands with one and no nasty surprises when the bill comes, previous to her accepting the key meter I was in contact with SSE who said it would take a month to have it changed.

It cost me £58 to change back and subsequently the tenant £58 from his deposit to have a key meter removed after he had had one installed without informing me as it is stated in the AST.... no key meters.   The new tenant did not want a key meter.  This was 3 years ago.

It's obviously important to advise tenants of any restrictions, preferably in writing and to point out to them what is and is not acceptable when they move in.

It's one of the disadvantages of using a third party or an agent cos they don't always do it.

Irrespective of how much effort you put into doing this, nothing is 100% foolproof and there will always be the occasional tenant who will think the rules don't apply too them.....

Yes , quite correct RL ,it is written into our tenancy agreement but obviously ignored in this case ,but I did deduct £75 for the charge of replacing and my time talking to SSE about changing it (in this case eventually ). As I have our Tenancy agreement in Open Office I have now amended it to add " if you have changed the electricity supplier  and/or had a prepayment metre fitted we will not return your deposit until the electricity company reinstate to the original type of meter and we will levy a charge of £100 to cover the cost of reinstating the meter and our time and costs to organise the replacement "

A word of caution, that as it stands, is likely to be deemed an unfair contract clause.

I am under the impression  that for tenancies of 12 months or longer tenants have a legal right to change energy suppliers. It may be that that now also applies to 6 month tenancies......you might like to check the legal position.

• 2 weeks later...

I have started inspecting meter cupboards on my regular property checks.  Some of mine are outside anyway so it is easy.  Similar to you Kerbut SSSE wanted an inordinate amount of time to change back but I moaned a lot and got 'a cancellation' appointment.

If you think about it tenants won't ask Landlord for a key meter as they know they will get the exit letter.

Sadly as a landlord you dont have as much control over meters being changed to a pre-pay as you think because if a tenant gets into arrears the utility company normally reserve the right to fit a pre-pay meter and set it at a higher rate to claw back the arrears.(sometimes a debt from a tenants previous address) That's why its very important to inform the utility supplier when there is a change of tenancy and there is a pre-pay in place because the incoming tenant can end up paying off a previous tenants arrears.

It is surprisingly common for landlords,tenants and landlords not to inform the utility company because they dont think it is necessary with pre-pay.    

Archived