Visa Requirements

Richlist

As far as I was aware it is only Birmingham area at the moment but the plan is to roll it out UK wide this September..

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/personalfinance/investing/buy-to-let/11683858/Right-to-rent-all-landlords-must-check-immigration-status-or-face-3000-fine.html

I have an empty flat at the moment. Most of the applicants, I would estimate around 80%,  are NOT from UK or EU.

I have not experienced this level of non UK/EU applications before.

Some of those that are UK individuals are very young. Yesterday I had an 18 &19 year old and two 20 year olds.

15 applicants so far.......not a single one suitable.

I think very young tenants - say under 25 are likely to fail.  You are unusual in my experience of having so many non EU applicants.

Surely you need to see and take copies of passports/visas/right to work/remain docs and be sure they are originals, in date - no copies.  You could also check with the employer or educational establishment to see if that person holds a position there.

That should cover everything.

The most applicants I ever saw was 32 sets for my London flat.  My agent was thinking I had lost my marbles (and I was doubting my own sanity) but the right ones turned up in the end and have been in 2 years now.  Hang on in there Richlist.

I've been letting property for a while now so I have had longer voids plenty of times before. I will never let to unsuitable tenants......and there are more of them than ones who are ok .

I've had places empty for two months waiting for the right tenants......who may well be non UK or EU.

What never ceases to amaze and surprise me is the variety of unsuitable tenants who often don't even get past the front door of my places but who presumably persuade some unsuspecting landlord of their suitability. This ranges from those who don't speak English and bring their translator along to the viewing to those who are English but struggle to string a sentence together. Others think it's going to be ok for me to wait 6 weeks before they move in and some who want four individuals in a 1 bed property.

This business is as much about people and their lifestyles/ life choices as it is about property.

It's good fun sometimes.

I have my own selection criteria on who will enter my property for renting and nothing but nothing will alter that mindset and I don't care what legislation they want to bring in.

That reminds me not so long ago I had the interpreter in attendance business where She came along to talk to me with a non English speaker Male and I did not realise this at once because I thought she was the prospective tenant with her partner until it became clear.to me. I was dead pan faced over this and said very little other than to show them around and I said to her I have other viewings and I would let them know.

Obviously I didn't let them have the property.

Well how you want to handle that situation is entirely up to you.

I give it to them face to face.....if they can't speak English then they are told they can't have the property. No ability to communicate = no tenancy agreement. Entirely legitimate reason for refusal.

Had people today ....

1. That thought it was really very funny that the landlord would leave a vacuum cleaner for their tenant to vacuum the floor.......I wasn't laughing, neither were they as they walked out the door.

2. Another applicant caught sight of the loft hatch and was frightened at what might be in the loft. I mean......come on........is someone having a laugh at my expense ?

There's nowt as strange as folk !!!!

Hi all

As Melboy kindly pointed out, the ‘Right to Rent’ legislation has been trialled in the West Midlands since December 2014 with a view to rolling it out to the whole country.

Despite problems the government has decided to roll it out nationwide, but as yet no firm date has been given, so unless the property in question is within the West Midlands trial area there is not currently the requirement to check.

However the legislation is expected to be in place in the very near future, so it is worth considering implementing it now.

For further details refer to our recent article below.

http://www.residentiallandlord.co.uk/landlords-to-act-as-immigration-officers/

Best wishes

Resident

• 2 weeks later...

How do you folk credit check internationals, EU or otherwise?

How can any reliable history be obtained?

As bil8999 I have found that when the times become less attractive for the internationals they're offski. How do we chase them to another country for recovery?

Of course we might insist on a g'tor, even a higher deposit. But the risks are higher and somewhat increased further by there being different cultural values that we may not have understanding of.

"Sorry I can't credit check you," is my usual response.

I've let to a lot of non European applicants over the years and they have always qualified for rent guarantee insurance.

I do tend to let to 'professionals' i.e. medical, teaching, legal, engineering, IT etc and don't tend to have to many problems with them.

Of course, up to now I have no idea if they have a legal right to live and work in the UK but the soon to arrive immigration check requirements will sort that question out. I'm looking forward to becoming an immigration policeman and joining the security services albeit on a part time basis. It's going to look great on my CV eh?

RL I nearly applaud your keenness to assist our immigration authorities, personally I don't feel adequately trained and qualified to be an immigration inspector and would prefer to let the gov't worry about these things. It's possibly going to be expensive if my ignorance causes me to get it wrong.

As I've suggested in another thread, I suspect there will be a few independent firms who will offer to do the checks for you for a small fee. Possibly the referencing company's or RGI suppliers. Most of us already pay a small fee for EPC's, deposit protection, gas safety etc so it's unlikely to seem out of step with the norm.

I'm particularly looking forward to identifying  and reporting some of the many thousands who don't have a Visa and shouldn't be here in the UK. Lucky I'm not a traffic warden ?

I'm sure the authorities are NOT well aware of the ones here without consent.

Some of them are still arriving via the channel ports as reported on the tv almost daily. 

Those with expired visas or the wrong visa just disappear into their own communities and become invisible

No papers, no passport, no records, no taxes paid.......I suspect there are many thousands of them.

Big business want more of them cos it's cheap Labour. I have little confidence in any Government ability to control it effectively.........but I'm happy to do my bit as a landlord when the time comes.

Archived