Giving private landlords bad press

Acura

I'm not sure why this came up on my news feed just now as it is an old article, but if I were a tenant it might make me wary of private landlords.

I only use agents as I have to - I'm overseas - but before moving abroad and when we return I'll manage the properties myself.

Switched on tenants would take this article with a pinch of salt and do their homework on landlords just as we do them, but how many ask us questions? Very few in my experience.

http://goo.gl/KD1ogv

That's my experience as well.

The only questions I am regularly asked are:-

. How much is the council tax?

. Does the property have cable and or satellite connections.

and that's it.

I don't know if that means I have already answered all their questions or that they just don't ask any.

I've certainly never been asked to show an EPC, gas or electrical cert and never knowingly had any checks carried out on me as a landlord.

Crazy, isn't it Richlist. I guess because we're in the business we'd ask the questions, but none of my tenants ever asked anything other than about utility bills, and, as you said, cable and satellite. Oh, and the phone line!

Nothing about gas certs or EPCs. I'd imagine 90%+ wouldn't know what it was (or am I being unfair?)

I bet half don't know about protecting deposits unless they've been tenants before. That's got to be why there are so many unscrupulous landlords out there. Us in this forum are probably in the minority sadly.

Still, hopefully I'm wrong and there are more clued up tenants who trust their instincts on good LLs.

How do you guys get your tenants? Do most tenants look on Rightmove thus having to go through agents? Gone are the days when I started and I placed an ad in the local weekly paper for £5 and get floods of calls!

Shelter has their own agenda Acura. I have twice seen off Shelter 'advisors' who I have come up against in court cases - they are just a load of lefties.

At viewings I always discuss fully what happens with the deposit and the structure of the building (I do lots of insulating to keep bills down) and I find viewers receptive to this. Agree - they want to know if I will allow Virgin boxes and satellite stuff, netiflix etc. - all this eventually leads to them having trouble with the rent but at this stage I try not to mention it.

Most professionals look on Rightmove and I often use an agent for 'tenant find only' (that is a one off payment) to screen out the dross and scammers. However I sometimes use newsagents windows or the local paper for some properties. I hate Gumtree and other online sites - not for me as they attract the worst type of fibber or benefit tenants who I don't let to - yet others on here say the opposite.

If I were abroard I would need a good, reliable agent.

I once had a T who told me he had researched me. He did this through google type searches and surprisingly, to me, came up with some relevant history. I've nowt to hide and was impressed.

The usual q's are as you have experiences, with one more not uncommon, especially at the flats- what are the neighbours like, and "can I decorate".

To the last q my answer has evolved. AS I can't control their activities unless I live with them I state that decoration is forbidden in the contract and anything done by T's is their responsibility for rectification where required. In truth I know they can pretty well do as they like and get away with it.

My experience of Shelter, they believe any obvious lies told by their client that any intelligent person would have spat their tea out on hearing. They advise as they have been led to believe by easy examples they've heard and don't actually have a grasp of legislation. Their case workers, I believe, are using Shelter as a style of work experience in progression of their own career. The courts, in Rhyl anyway, bend over backward to accommodate their cause.

As for Agents, I haven't found any yet that I would trust as I would Grampa.

I'm never asked for anything either. However I do have an extended sit-down with my tenant and explain all the procedures and documentation.

My last tenant, a single Man, thought this was quite odd as he had never had such a comprehensive briefing before from a landlord.

Which reminds me his 6 monthly check is due in March. But I have to say he is very neat and tidy and I have met his no nonsense Mum. :D

With all the current legislation about, most tenants would expect landlords to know the job, understand legal responsibilities and comply. It might seem insulting to ask a landlord of this. (Who asks an employer at a job interview whether they know and carry out their legal obligations?)

I wouldn't knock Shelter for this useful tenants' check list. Tenants' priorities are naturally a good roof, heat, light, fresh water, and home entertainment (Sky aerial?) They need to be kept aware of landlord's obligations and be prepared to check.

Having just read MP Alan Johnson's revealing early biography 'This Boy', I've come to realise how much modern landlord law stems from 1950s -60s Rachman era, and how important it remains (EPCs excepted !!).

• 2 weeks later...

How Receptive would landlords be to a letting agency offering professional photography and marketing of their property to attract only the most suited tenants? Afterall the better the presentation of the proeprty, the more likley unsituable tenants would shy away from contacting. I will be launching a website very soon, offering free professional property photography as one of our many services throughout the UK.

Currently in my part of Essex there is a shortage of rental property. There is virtually nothing available in the 1 and 2 bedroom range. Landlords can let virtually immediately, with no voids, a queue of prospective candidates and can ask ridiculously high prices.

So, from my perspective, agents are virtual unecessary for anything other than the mundane tasks that landlords can't be bothered with.

I certainly wouldn't want to pay any extra than I already do. I expect my agent to already be professional in their photography and marketing. Modern digital cameras with the correct lens and a bit of practice can easily produce excellent results.

I suggest you go find something else to focus on, can't see you making anything other than pocket money from this venture.

How Receptive would landlords be to a letting agency offering professional photography and marketing of their property to attract only the most suited tenants? Afterall the better the presentation of the proeprty, the more likley unsituable tenants would shy away from contacting. I will be launching a website very soon, offering free professional property photography as one of our many services throughout the UK.

It's an additional overhead expense that most landlord's would not particularly want. There is no such thing as "free" the cost has to built in at some point for the service on offer. I too expect my LA to be quite capable of taking photo's to a good standard for the purposes of marketing my property to let.

I photograped my last set of photo's for my property and they were satisfactory imo. Cost nothing to do this.

I don't honestly think your phone will be ringing too often Nanye for professional photo services.

Shelter has their own agenda Acura. I have twice seen off Shelter 'advisors' who I have come up against in court cases - they are just a load of lefties.

I totally agree and have also seen off a few shelter advisors at court hearings when they have raised their head out of their hole. You have to make sure your paperwork is correct or they will jump on any mistake.

My experience of Shelter, they believe any obvious lies told by their client that any intelligent person would have spat their tea out on hearing.

I don't think they care if the tenant is lying or not or whatever the conduct of the tenant was. All they are interested in putting the kybosh on any possession hearing and stop the nasty landlord getting a possession order.

I have had conversations with the shelter rep just before the hearing and shown them evidence of rent arrears and major damage and they couldn't care less. They still tried their hardess to get they order struck out.

But they didn't :D

Archived