Can't Pay? We'll Take It Away. C5 Thursday 9pm

Melboy

The program last night centered on rental property evictions.

I guess everyone has a view on this but with 47,000 UK evictions in the first 6 months of 2014 it brings it home the problems for landlord's especially Newbie ones who, for some strange reason, fail to read up on the basics of landlording before entering the buy to let business and end up in a right mess which will probably cost them thousands ££'s..

Yes I watched that program ( and previous weeks).

I hate to post a comment which will be perceived by some as racist BUT.......

* we noticed that every eviction this week and last week involved immigrants.

* they were often unemployed.

* most of them then sought help from their local council housing department so that the local council taxpayers picked up the bill.

No wonder UKIP are doing so well in the polls.

Well there is nothing rascist about the facts as presented.

Nigerian Man comes to the UK under a student visa 5 years ago. He is not really a student. Overstays his visa. Applies to stay in the UK. Told by the Home Office he must pass an English test first. Fails to turn up! In the meantime Landlord has not been paid rent for months. All the usual excuses from the tenant who by now has his Wife here in the UK with 2 small children and one on the way.

Local council are only obliged to house the children and not the parent's.

So where did he go? To the local hospital waiting area...........amazing! He should have gone to Heathrow airport and gone home to Nigeria because he had no right to be in the UK anyway.

Remind me again why the UK needs to build hundred's of thousands of new houses?

I see from previous weeks that a fair few LL's are taking their County Court repossession orders to the Sheriff (High Court) for action, as previously suggested by Grampa.

It seems to be catching so many by surprise, including the Local Authorities that have said "stay till the Bailiffs arrive", expecting that to be the County Court Bailiff some time much further down the road.

When the time comes again I'll be researching the additional cost of that route.

You occasionally feel sympathy for the misdirected T's and families. But for those (most) without the hands on experience it's easy to overlook the fact that any repossession has already been going on for many months, and at great expence to the 'greedy' LL.

So many assume that the LL has something to gain by evicting without considering that he / she is only attempting to reduce the heavy losses incurred by these situations. After all following renovations (with the associated costs) it is likely to be rented out again, as is the design of the business.

By the by, I'll be voting for UKIP next year, not because I believe they can win or could carry the responsibility. Only because a possible coalition involving them is the only feasible way for us to have a true, uncorrupted, referendum to get the hell out of the EEC.

Well I can hope, might win the Lottery as well - if I did the Lottery that is.

I watch this program every week as well and it is in my top 5 programs (how sad is that). Having the knowledge of the process of eviction and the timescales involved and knowing all the written notices and letters that the tenants would have recieved I think they all deserved it (except maybe one).

To use a high court enforcement officer (HCEO)or not mainly comes down to cost which links in to how quick your county court bailiffs (CCB) are.

So you have to do the number crunching but I would say as a rough guide if your CCB can get out to the property within 3 weeks it maybe be more cost effective to use them but any longer or if you you are working to a timescale to get the property back you should concider a HCEO.

Forgot to mention that during the closing few seconds of last nights program they gave a progress report on each of the evictions.

The mother who had initiated the eviction of her son for 18months of unpaid rent had got her property returned and it cost approx. £24000 to repair !!! Glad that wasn't me.

Well there is nothing rascist about the facts as presented.

So where did he go? To the local hospital waiting area...........amazing! He should have gone to Heathrow airport and gone home to Nigeria because he had no right to be in the UK anyway.

Agree there is nothing racist but we let these people in on a student visa and they use it to overstay - this is the African ( and other nations) way unfortunately. I bought a property from a Chinese overstayer a couple of years ago and now near on of my lets an Iranian 'student' has threatened me and others for objecting to his out of control late opening bar/club.

I know about the 'going to the hospital' scenario. Back in the summer hubby had an MRI scan done at Guys in London. The waiting area was full of Africans and when he asked the nurse what it was all about she said they just hang around there all day until security chuck them out - there was nothing wrong with them.

What is going on in this country?

The declared Rochester vote today might move the Tories into actually doing something positive to get our border's and Country back but I won't hold my breath.

If I was an MP in a marginal seat and by that I mean with a majority of up to 5000 I would be seriously concerned because a vast number of them will collecting their P45's next May. I would also want something done about the situation now to stop me from losing my seat and that means heaping pressure on David Cameron to actually do something. He of course will be OK whatever happens next May but a lowly MP will be made redundent thanks to him and his Coalition Government policies.

Archived