Anti mould paint

Grampa

If any of you guys are interested B&Q have a special offer of buy 2 get one free with dulux anti mould bathroom paint.

They are normally about £23.98 a tin (2.5L). I have just brought 8 and saved 95 quid.

I have been using this product in a lot of flats and houses that suffer from mould and can highly recommend it for keeping mould at bay and use it in any rooms needed. Just made sure you use it on the ceiling also.

I even recommend it to landlords who haven't had a mould problem in flats who are planning to decorate as we all know the issue can arise with a change of tenants and for a couple of quid extra and being pro-active it saves a lot of hassle.

Thanks for that Grandpa, will get to B&Q tomorrow , I use it on bathroom ceilings but now use the 8,x4, plastic hygiene grade sheets on all bathroom walls from floor/top of bath to ceiling @£36 a sheet it sounds expensive ,but have not had any mould problems in bath /shower rooms since using it , also I go straight over tiles with it so do not get the problem of dirty grout or mouldy silicone.

will get to B&Q tomorrow , I use it on bathroom ceilings but now use the 8,x4, plastic hygiene grade sheets on all bathroom walls from floor/top of bath to ceiling @£36 a sheet it sounds expensive ,but have not had any mould problems in bath /shower rooms since using it , also I go straight over tiles with it so do not get the problem of dirty grout or mouldy silicone.

Thats interesting Kerbut.

I had a problem with a bathroom ceiling immediately above a shower. I incorrectly used ordinary emulsion paint which resulted, over time, in the paint peeling and the plaster becoming damp/loose and crumbling away. I was going to cover the ceiling above the shower with the same plastic sheet that you used but decided against it in the end in favour of having the ceiling replastered and using the correct paint.

My main concern with using the sheets you mention was condensation behind the sheets. Have you experienced this or has anyone mentioned it to you ?

To be honest I have never removed any of the sheets we have fitted , we use the correct joiners (sheet to sheet) and the correct corner pieces rather than but up the sheets and silicone. The correct fittings have a rubber seal in them and I presume would be pretty watertight . We use a non solvent no more nails product to hold the sheets to the wall and have not had any problem coming away from tiles of plastered walls. I have never done a ceiling with it as I said above I always do Kitchen and Bathroom ceilings with the paint mentioned by Grandpa above.

I agree Kerbut - I've been using UPvc sheeting for some time now and it is tenant proof. I can buy it easily locally but they do some unusual joiners and profiles on Ebay with free delivery.

The sheets have some thermal quality and feel warm to the touch so condensation does not form on the back. Stick it over artex ceilings or plaster - instant transformation.

Recently did a shower room in the 'spangly' finish - quite stunning - even though I say so myself :)

Most places that sell Plastics ,ie, facia ,guttering ,cladding stock it ,also after Melboys post about sections on Ebay I looked there and there are several vendors on there . When gluing to walls make sure your glue is solvent free or it will eat through the sheeting.

Whoops, that should read Mortitia not Melboy.

I know....... but I was happy to take the credit. :D

Personally I have never experienced the problems in my properties as mentioned on here and especially the remedy being used to overcome damp and mould.

Lucky you Melboy! More on mold.............

Yesterday I went to see one of my tenants at her request. I'd describe her as Hyacinth Bucket for the obvious reasons. Very good paying tenant but quite demanding on my time.

Her complaint (by text) to start with was sooty mold in 2 patches adjacent to the bedroom window on the ceiling. She feared the roof was leaking.

This is a house with the all Upvc bathroom - no sign of mold there . I had already told HB by text that I was 99.9% sure the sooty mold in the bedroom was condensation and her responsibility - she wanted to argue otherwise adding that water was coming up through the kitchen floor and mold was also present in a dead area twixt sink and oven housing.

The property is up a hill so no danger of flooding and a 1979 build so rising damp not expected. Suspecting escape of water Chief Engineer hubby attended with diving/tank inspecting torch to investigate.

Temp in house was about 23 degrees. HB in T shirt and slacks - no jumper/cardigan. Condensation was apparent on the all double glazing - new 18 months ago. House immaculate. I confirmed bedroom ceiling had condensation damage however there was water in small puddles on vinyl kitchen floor. Looked in under sink cupboard and all pipes were dripping with....... condensation - this was travelling down the outside of the pipes to under unit and settling in a low point on the vinyl floor!

Just bought wrap style pipe lagging to rectify. Another mystery solved.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived