Corona Virus

Richlist

49 minutes ago, Richlist said:

There is nothing to fear but fear itself said Franklin D Roosevelt.

Maybe he never experienced a woman with sharp teeth.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am now in isolation at home.  I cannot take the risk now of getting corona virus in spite of all the measures I have taken. I am or was a diabetic 2 patient but now a borderline DB2 and slimmer than COR's wallet on a Friday night out but I have been advised that I must lessen the risk to myself. Oh! and also I am very old......... according to the age chart that is.  😷

I have plenty of jobs to be done and I shall keep very busy without having contact with crowds. My family will keep an eye on myself and my good Lady.  If anything changes I will let you know. 

Good luck Mel,

and to everybody.

Some will need it more than others but I'm sure this has a very serious downside to near everybody, health, physchology, and financial.

It's too early for shortage of supplies to be for any other reason than panic shopping. That may well change, but let's hope it won't be due to the supplies being withheld to boost the value.

This morning I read of big queues at fuel stations, I filled my empty tank on Sunday, empty to full is more usual style. Maybe I need be cautious and prioritise my journeys now, and until everyone has a full tank and can't squeeze anymore in.

The drinks cupboard is fairly well stocked. A lot of it are gifts and I'm not looking forward to 'having' to resort to that.

Sunday will be our 15th day from returning from Italy. Some tiredness and some aching but a week of full on skiing will do that to a near 60 year old. So I can offer assistance to the local volunteer centre.

There is talk of a 3 month mortgage holiday for those in need, so I was expecting a call for measures to protect the private T's.

Emergency legislation to protect T's from eviction is coming. In some, and possibly / likely  eventually many cases, this should be applied. Aside from the fact that any LL attempting to repossess is most likely going to find the courts aren't available for even rubber stamping such. Therefor consideration is intelligent as to wasting court application costs for something the courts will do their best not to follow up on.

Will there be any assistance offered to the private LL that finds rents drying up as T's see a rent holiday as a need or even just attractive I wonder.

Anticipating such I've been applying some extra pressure for T's to clear any arrears. I think that boat has now sailed.

I am presuming that a tenant who is laid off from work and then experiences money problems will have to apply for some form of rent payment relief from the DWP?  It's not just the monthly rental payment though is it. Council tax is also a fairly hefty monthly outgoing from the family budget these days so perhaps that should also be looked at as well for relief payments or a holiday payment break ?

I have been giving this some thought on how I am going to approach the subject should any of my tenants have a problem paying their rent. My initial thoughts are I could and probably would help in the short term but it would not be possible in the much longer term as indeed it is probably the case for every landlord.

My Daughter, who is an estate agent, has been laid off on gardening leave for a month.... unpaid.   She was not too upset about this as it means she can get on with a few outstanding renovation jobs she has planned. I think this does reflect though that the property market ( amongst many other business's ) are going to really suffer and I also believe the final outcome of this prolonged shutdown will lead to a major recession in the UK which will take a long time to recover from.

Meanwhile cabin fever has not set in just now for me as yet on day 4 as I am keeping quite busy but when it does I shall jump in the car with a flask of tea and some sandwhiches and head for the rolling high hills of Wiltshire and admire the view.   😀  True British way of coping with any disaster.... imo of course. 

I'm hopeful that local dinghy sailing will be a release.

An occasional w/e in Beaumaris on the mega dinghy will be good if fuel is still in good supply. It actually uses significant amounts of diesel when the wind is both lacking and too plentiful.

I was of the opinion that rather than hiding from it, if this thing gets me than so be it. Although I've no right to inflict the results of that view on others (hence the greatly reduced interactions since returning from Italy). But while now understanding better what a session in ICU (if you are that lucky) will leave you as I am less brave. I do question the intelligence of hiding as this thing might succeed anyway.

Are China premature in thinking they are over the worst? W/o herd immunity or a vaccine have they just been granted a pause?

Well here we go!  I live in a very small village and we have just been informed that 2 cases of Corona virus have been certified here.

One person who has just come back from India and one from Italy. Both of whom I know and I also know that they have been trying to get back to the UK for a week or more.  Lockdown in Melboy Towers. !! 

Death figures coming out of Italy are really alarming and what is worse it's a growing figure. Spain is close behind.

I have had conversations with all of my tenants about future happenings etc. if any go down with the virus or are laid off work.

I hope you stay clear of the bug Mel.

I don't know how many cases there are in Buxton , and likely no one does w/o  testing. I see the Derbyshire figure has increase 10 fold in the past week.

Daft thing is it likely the panic shoppers being in close proximity that are most risky and at risk.

As for T's, the HB T's don't experience a change in there finances, ill or not, and they're the one's that will expect consideration. I've 3 that are likely to see this as a bonus. I 'will' consider County Court for them and their G'tors.

I've 2 others that I consider may have  employment problems, both paid on time yesterday, nice. If they are laid off and get the 80% then again their finances don't change much, so I'll monitor that. I was expecting a need to be considerate, but that would need the revenues from the others or soon enough I would be screwed.

It's early days and the Gov'ts knee jerk changes are seemingly refreshed daily. I certainly can't anticipate where we will be next week with this.

This virus is gonna cause problems in virtually every area of renting and letting with.......

* Regular 3 monthly inspections.

* Accompanied viewings.

* Maintenance and repairs.

* Sales market will almost disappear.

* Air bnb is dead in the water.

* Estate and letting agents will close.

* Court cases will be seriously delayed.

* Bailiff and Council services will be non existant.

etc etc.

........and far more important my various planned trips to Spain this year ain't gonna happen.

Missus and self had an hour and a half on the water yesterday at the local 'dinghy ' sailing club.

Out there it felt like the panic of society was far away. Until you come home and see greater numbers in rural Derbyshire escaping the city while still allowed. Their city attitude of reduced consideration to others was apparent. Those parking in passing places are too thick to realise their effect. I've got used to numpties using roads for kiddies and doggies to run wild on, expecting other peoples cars not to use the roads they have just driven in on. And bloody suicyclists, well.

I'm sending Learn Spanish DVD's to the grandkids. 1st wife and her 2nd hubby relocated there a few years ago. We're all agreed that group learning, via Skype or whatever, with their Spanish input might help the kids be less bored. It could help my slow brain learn more easily too. No entiendo Castayano.

As for our financial plight, as most (Gov't incl) see our revenues as additional to need and for luxury, I'm not expecting any state  prop up. I need to seriously question, and fast, the intelligence of making payments for my 'accepted' responsibilities. If I'm going to fail then recognising early and failing with more cash in't pocket has intelligence.

My holiday to a rental cottage in Wales, Pembrokeshire was well and truly stuffed 3 weeks ago and I lost my money or so I thought and then........the Welsh assembly have issued a dictat to close everything down which means my booked holiday cottage is now eligible to be transferred to another date in the future.  No refunds though which I would have thought should have been an option.

Meanwhile back in Melboy Towers this is day 6 of total isolation and cabin fever has not set in just yet as I have kept myself busy in the garden.  Pressure washed my large patio, cut the large lawn grass, done some shrub planting, sown my tomato seeds which eventually I will put into hanging baskets  oh! and generally loafed around reading a book in this lovely March sunshine or watching some items of my interest on Youtube.

That reminds me I do have a tenant who is in ultra high risk catagory and if he catches this Corona virus he will be a goner that is for certain.  I have been skyping him to make sure he is following government guidelines, well, you know how bloody stubborn older people can be.  😉

Day 12 of Cabin fever..........not Corona fever.   

I was OK for the first 6 days as the Sun shone and I could work outside doing catch-up-after-Winter jobs but now it is cloudy with rain showers and a biting cold North wind which is enough to keep you indoors.

Corona fever is certainly spreading fast and wide around the World and the deaths in Spain and Italy are mind boggling at how many there are in such a short space of time.  Little wonder then that ex pat Brits.in Spain are clamouring to get a flight back to the UK

I have been informed that a family friend in London has just died of the Corona virus but he did have an underlying health issue and his age of 94 was certainly stacked against him regarding chances of any survival but never the less this time last week he was bright and cheerful as any 94 year old could be. Sadly missed. 

By the time the expats get back, if they can as part of the £175 million put up, will we be where Italy and Spain were?

My step daughter is back with us again. Her escape from London might well prove to be much safer. Certainly the risks there look to be higher due to the increased population density.

I'm still gardening but I'm having trouble finding what to do with the savaged foliage. I've a steps and wall to build on one side of the house, but my cement stocks won't last long. In truth I could spend many weeks an quids creating walls, steps and paths in the rear garden, and then the front. Maybe a mass delivery of materials will be possible???

There are a good few jobs inside from Thursday when our forecast says that'll be better.

I to have been taking advantage of last week's sunny weather. I usually have a long list of jobs that need doing as we move from winter into spring around the Richlist Estate. This year, with obvious staffing issues I'm having to roll up my sleeves, pull on my 'Hunters' and get stuck in. There are lots of jobs that I wouldn't normally do but which I have actually enjoyed. Jet washed x2 patios, serviced the hot tub, cleaned loads of windows, turned over the kitchen garden area  etc.

One of my sidelines at this time of year is selling garden items. In the last 2 weeks we have done very well with sales of lawnmowers, strimmers, garden tables & chairs, decking and for some strange reason garden gates. Stocks are very low now and will be difficult to replenish due to cv19. I guess with lots of punters off work, time on their hands, reasonable weather and most of the big stores shut.......it's my lucky day. Every cloud has a silver lining.

Oh, and nearly forgot to mention......bicycles......sales have gone totally mad, sold loads of them since the New Year.

It'll soon be summer and everyone will want portable air conditioners & cooling fans.

Then come autumn and customers want heaters.

On 3/23/2020 at 7:04 AM, Richlist said:

This virus is gonna cause problems in virtually every area of renting and letting with.......However, there are some work around some more practical  than others.

* Regular 3 monthly inspections....Our inspection software  have adapted it so tenants can do their own inspection . (YES I KNOW)

* Accompanied viewings........GOV.UK. states: "If moving is unavoidable for contractual reasons & the parties are unable to reach an agreement to delay, people must follow advice on staying away from others to minimize the spread of the virus" 

* Maintenance and repairs......Ministry of Housing states: "where reasonable, safe for you & in line with other Gov guidance, we recomend that you allow local authorities, landlords or contractors access to your property in order to inspect or remedy urgent health and safety issues"  and " inspectors or maintenance workers can still visit blocks of flats & properties for essential or urgent work"

* Sales market will almost disappear.......Government has advised against home moves wherever possible

* Air bnb is dead in the water..... I agree

* Estate and letting agents will close....... Not so, Guidance for employers & businesses on Coronavirus states :- businesses & workplaces should encourage their employees to work at home, wherever possible"  and "we are not asking any other businesses to close - indeed it is important for business to carry on"  and "Estate Agents should not open branches to the public"  which means we could all go to work but not open the doors to the public

* Court cases will be seriously delayed.....I agree

* Bailiff and Council services will be non existant..... Yet to be seen

etc etc.

........and far more important my various planned trips to Spain this year ain't gonna happen.

I know I have cherry picked bits of guidance that could suit my needs. However, I have sent all staff home working remotely with all incoming office calls diverted to mobiles via a app with the ability to transfer between each other. Not ideal but were getting by at present. Its the sales only agents who will suffer the most.

RL I've already have my trip to Spain this year and only just managed to get out after our ferry from Sandander was cancelled. We were told (wrongly) the border was to be closed 8am the next morning in both directions (Iin fact only one direction) and a country wide lock down and ban on travel/roads. So at 2.15pm we made a mad dash for the border stopping only for 4 fuel stops and finally stopped in a french Aire 14 hours later.(4am). Good job I didnt have a tachograph.  The roads was deserted and like something out of a mad max film. 

Three hours sleep later and what will though would be a leisurely drive through France to the C Tunnel. Then the lock down was announced in France for 12 noon 2 days time so another mad dash to the tunnel and got there 12.30. 

I will certainly remember my first motorhome trip aboard. 😀

I think this will be the final nail in the coffin for the 'High Street'. I can't see cafe's, travel agents, charity shops, small shops or even medium sized shops surviving what might be 12 months of seriously restricted trading.

We'll be left with .....if any of them survive.....estate agents, a few large department stores & supermarkets....if we are lucky.

Large out of town shopping centres like Lakeside & Bluewater, etc are already in financial difficulty and I don't see how they can survive.

The world will look a different place next year.

.................and dare I say it my Son will be in deep trouble as well if this goes on long term.  No Government help for a small Ltd. company either.  There is Him and his Wife who is his secretary and phone appointments operator but she can claim Furlough leave and 80% salary from Himself.

He has delayed paying his VAT and Corporation tax due this month. The Government have NOT put a delay on these payments as far as I am aware.  It's his only way of protesting at the moment. Banks won't lend to him.

His work will dry up completely as the recession bites deeper and deeper.  It's bad enough now as people don't want him in the property for the obvious reasons.  3 cancellations for jobs this week already.

Will he go under? We will have to wait and see.

11 hours ago, kerbut said:

I don't know how long for ,but my son who now runs what was  my  International Transport business sent 12 trucks and trailers to France empty to collect supermarket wine , he said the rate had never been so good !

Any chance of a detour drop-off in Wiltshire please?   😀

A lot of pain for a lot of people.

How long can the Gov't give 80% aid to so many? If it actually is aid. The 80% of salary is a loan I read, so a future problem for the employer to repay if the banks do actually provide it. The self employed wait till June, so it's a promise we've yet to see delivered.

In theory 80% support to the economy, ignoring the fact it must come from and go back somewhere, should keep the economy in fair condition. Many wouldn't actually be skint so can still spend. With such a slow down due to the lockdown spending requirements are less anyway, far less commute costs, near non existent entertainment costs, mortgage holidays are only a deferral but still help.

When the lockdown eases there will be a need for things to be made and the capitalist state of things will take time but will recover. Much like my losing my portfolio, the properties will still be lived in by people so the overall is much the same.  There will be a new balance of sorts and in similar fashion to any reduction of oldies due to this virus it may be the younger that adapt and become the new entrepreneurs.

Early days and tbh our own finances may be less significant as time passes.  They can't be ignored though and I see the fluidity of cash being a great advantage, assets soon become burdens.