naming bad tenants

seeless

im new to the forum. Just wondered if there's any register of really bad tenants. I failed to do checks re tenant. They left after ripping out shelves, fireplace, fire, cupboards... The insurance should help but i was under insured, another blunder

I was advised by police to post their names on a landlords forum, is there a place for this? They are likely to be in Carmarthen, newly renting this month.

This is a topic that comes up regularly unfortunately on many landlord forums. I don't know of a register of bad tenants and it could be libellous and vexatious even if there was one.

Did you inspect the property at regular intervals and over what timespan was the damage done?

Next time try asking for a previous landlord reference - or if tenants have not left yet the one before - and follow it up yourself.

I'm not saying all this will make things foolproof but it will give you a better chance of not letting to bad tenants.

I would like to know a bit more detail. I seems strange why it took so long to get them out and is also seems they rented themselves without an agent or doing regular inspections or having a guarantors etc etc.

Though the photos look bad there doesn’t seem to be any structural damage or damaged kitchens or bathrooms so a big skip for all the rubbish and carpets and a days labour for someone and you have a empty shell to work on. Another day or so labour to strip the wallpaper throughout .etc etc. I dont see 8k of damage myself but I am only going by the photos.

Having a data base for tenants would be useful I think, that's if it could be trusted. What's to stop tenants writing a glowing report about themselves?

Also you'd have to get written permission before hand, which would only work if it was at the time of signing AST.

Tenants Name:

Miss **** ****** Rent Default : £1,150

Property Damages : £150

Abandoned property without notice

This is one showing on their site ,I have removed her name for obvious reasons here.

On their site it gives the postcode area of the rented property and a Google map.

Excellent idea to have a name and shame register. It's time Landlord's stood up for themselves and bad tenants were shown up for what they are.

Just Google 'Landlord Referencing'.

It's an online database of 'wrongun' tenants - I believe you can register for free to upload the info about your bad tenants, but if you want to reference your next tenants (e.g. check your next tenant applicants aren't on the 'wrongun tenant' list at LRS) then I believe you have to pay £4.99 - which is I'm sure you'll appreciate a hell of a lot cheaper than clearing up the damage cause by your most recent tenants.

I am not affiliated with Landlord Referencing apart from that I occasionally write articles for their blog, offering advice to landlords (mostly about finance as I work for a mortgage broker - so thats what I know!!!)

Good luck!

Brian

Archived