Selling and letting house at same time?

Antnkel

Hi guys.

Just wanted to get people's thoughts on this, one of my property's that's just come vacant I would like to sell, but on the other hand don't want it empty for too long either. So was possibly thinking off initially letting out on a six month AST whilst for sale. Obviously if I did this I would have the rent at a reduced rate.

Can I get some pros and cons for this please as my minds not made up yet what to do.

Thanks.

Anthony.

The cons are:

1 The tenants can be difficult about viewings

2 The tenant has no obligation to tidy up etc so the property wont present as well as it could.

3 Some buyers are put off if it has a tenant.

5 Professional landlords are very likely to only offer a reduced figure.

6 It will be harder to find a tenant because many wont want it if it is up for sale.

7 There are less tenants who want a short term let.

Pros are:

1 You get rent up till the point of sale

2 It will appeal to professional landlords.

Ask yourself this - is it likely to sell quickly in the current climate and will you put it on the market 'priced to sell'?

If no to either of these then don't sell and re-let for the reasons put up by Grampa.

Getting a mortgage and affording the deposit is still the main stumbling block for buyers.

Do not let at a reduced rate.

You prepare the property for sale and make sure the presentation is spot on for any potential buyer.

If you have no buyer after 4 months you then consider the renting option. Lack of viewings and any offers will be your guide after the first 6 weeks as to what you are really going to do.

If it's overpriced your viewings will be virtually non existent so think carefully before marketing and do not accept any EA's overvalued contract because I can guarantee you that after 6 weeks of no viewings or offers the EA will advise you lower the price anyway.

If you get a sale will the T's leave voluntarily? If they wish they could well be there for a total of 9 months or so while you evict. Will the buyer wait ?

London is reported to be doing well with house price increases, is there reason to believe that that won't migrate outward as we've seen in the past ?

I understand that mortgages are becoming a little easier to obtain also.

Just maybe. only maybe mind, there may be a little light down that tunnel ??

Just maybe. only maybe mind, there may be a little light down that tunnel ??

Can't see it personally......economic downturn, more pain to be inflicted on the electorate. job security not good, lots of unemployed, money in short supply, political uncertainty, general election not to far off, economy is very fragile and won't take much to tip us down further etc, etc.

There are going to be areas that will see price rises but overall I don't see any significant increases above inflation.

Don't need priced to rise too much, this house was the first one we bought after moving back from abroad in 2007 which has no or very little equity left. All I'd need is for prices to rise 1-2 % a year for a few years and this would make selling a lot easier.

I've not finished doing work on the inside and I've already got people wanting to put deposits down! This was after two days of advertising!!

Don't count your chickens yet........

Anyone can find tenants at the drop of a hat.....its wether those tenants are suitable that really matters.

Archived