Council tax rebate for empty properties - advice wanted

Glynis

There have been some changes on the period allowed for claiming council tax rebate when properties are empty. In my area it used to be 6 months, now its only 1. Can anyone advise me on who is entitled to the rebate in the following circumstance. Tenant gave notice which expires end of month and pays rent to end of month. However she moves out after two weeks, leaving the property empty. She tells Council who issue me with a bill which rebates me for only 2 weeks, having taken the date she leaves the property as the start of the one month rebate period, instead of from when I am legally entitled to take possession again (at the end of the month). She still has the keys and has to return to paint a room before the end of the tenancy, which she left in a mess. Can I take the amount of rebate I've lost from the deposit being held? Should the Council have not allowed her the rebate?

The tenant owes CT until the end of her tenancy - if she chooses to leave early it is up to her. You are in charge of the tenancy so it is up to you to enforce this.

The missing CT money should be recoverable from her deposit.

Think yourself lucky - in part of my area CT is payable at 100% all the time - empty or not and if empty more than 1 year ( heaven forbid) it goes up to 150%.

Well it depends. If you gave the tenant a 3 month tenancy the council can come to you but if the tenancy was 6 months or longer the tenant is responsible for the period of the tenancy unless you agreed to surrender,.

If 6 months or longer go back to the council and refer them to Oyston v Leeds City Council – Valuation Tribunal 27 July 2011.Also refer them to section 6 on the local government finance act 1992.

That should sort it out.

Also remind the council that the keys have not been returned.

Do the above in writing.

There have been some changes on the period allowed for claiming council tax rebate when properties are empty. In my area it used to be 6 months, now its only 1.

There have been some changes on the period allowed for claiming council tax rebate when properties are empty. In my area it used to be 6 months, now its only 1.Think yourself lucky - in part of my area CT is payable at 100% all the time - empty or not and if empty more than 1 year ( heaven forbid) it goes up to 150%.

Thats good news.

The UK is struggling to balance the books and every day we are spending more than we receive.

So, the council tax contributions are is a big help.

Money wasting happens in every aspect of life......even yours......learn to accept those things that will never change.....moaning about them might make you feel better but it will have little or no real effect on the outcome.

Under that cloak of depression I bet you're a real fun loving girl Mortitia

Well for starters.....potentially:

* Fire services.

* Police services.

* Refuse collection (whist landlord is cleaning/ refurbing).

but thats not the point.

The council need as much income as they can get to maintain services.......often for the poor & elderly. As they have the right to charge for empty properties, they do. If we could charge our tenants for more than we do then I'm sure most of us would.

On that principle RL we should pay for local Police and Fire services whenever we visit foreign parts, like the South of England, but I've already paid my dues in the North so I'm able to use the foreign council services.

Any refuse developed during a refurb is considered to be trade waste and 'should' be weighed in to be charged for.

I already have the opinion that LL's are attacked as an easy target, you may have noticed that. This move to be more charitable to local councils just strengthens that opinion.

As for being able to charge more if we were able I would be far happier if legislation allowed me to achieve what I can charge and recover from the corrupt T's rather than allowing such ease for them to abuse (that's the Central Council but you get my jist).

I would have settled for my Council not losing 12 million quid in the collapse of the Icelandic banking crisis. Eggs and baskets springs instantly to mind.

A huge proportion of Council tax collected goes to Local Government pensions and pay-off's and is increasing quite dramatically as each year passes which probably accounts for the need to cut and cut..... and cut front line services.

Wastage is being brought under control but there is a long way to go as yet. As mentioned Landlord's are easy pickings for Council officials.

I have had a lot of dealings with the local council and I can honestly say it has never been a pleasurable experience except for the planning department people who I found to be very knowledgable and helpful in all matters.

Archived