Bathroom cabinets that last?

gnawood

Hi,

I dont have much luck with bathroom wall cabinets.

- humidity causes melamine casings to split at the seams

- mirrors start to deteriorate around the edges within about 2 years

- 'Stainless' steel cabinets from screwfix are showing signs of rust after 2 years

I would appreciate comments from others on better ways to work with this problem?

Look out for something made of UPVC -not that I've seen one but the stuff is almost indestructable.

Even a stainless cupboard I bought from John Lewis has gone rusty at the edges as you describe and I have just removed it.

More recently I have been using the units which house loo and basin with cupboard space under - apart from the handles going rusty the units themselves wear well.

But you can buy mirrors and cabinets for very little money. I try to keep bathroom cabinets & mirrors separate and I buy the budget ranges.

e.g.....take Argos:.... a budget mirror can be bought for around £5 and they do a cabinet for under £12 ....and if they last just 1 or 2 years at that price it ain't a problem.

Alternatively......have you thought about not providing them ?

I doubt any potential tenant viewing the property will even notice and you won't get any more rent with or without.

As everyone knows......with the (significant) tax changes due to take effect from this April for unfurnished lets.....it probably makes sense to provide the absolute minimum.

Plastic coated chipboard is probably what you've got - but this will last OK if all exposed board at uncovered edges, holes and indeed seams too are painted well with diluted pvc glue to seal the edges and stop swelling due to moisture ingress to the board.

Homebase flatpack instructions recommend this and it does work.

Any pvc glue should do - add sufficient water to work on paintbrush - it dries invisible, but be sure to wipe any spillage drips off plastic surfaces immediately.

Can I just mention that I work in a Charity Shop 1 day a week ( Penance for being wicked! lol ) and we do get a fair number of bathroom cabinets brought in and they all sell quickly.

Also for you furnished landlord's charity shops are a very good source for quality used furniture ( and most other items ) or at least my shop is and we get landlord's in all the time especially looking for wardrobes.

I visit my local ones almost weekly and I rarely leave without buying something.

I am particularly proud of my collection of roller blinds in various colours & sizes. But they are also excellent for finding ::

* curtain poles,

* lamp shades & fittings and

* bathroom accessories

My best charity shop find to date ......and nothing to do with pproperty rentals...... was a book written by a US space shuttle astronaut that had been signed on the inside cover. Niether the shop or I knew that it was a signed copy until I got it home.

Richlist, I agree one can buy cheap and change every 2 years, BUT the space on the wall never matches, so that wall needs to be repainted and then the other wall looks drab......

Chestnut, I have been planning to seal the edges on the next cupboard before installing it.

I also plan to paint the edges and backs of the mirrors in the hope that would stop the breakdown of the reflector.

Graeme.

Have you considered installing a extractor fan that switches on if the humidity reaches a certain level? They are not that expensive to buy but the fitting can bump it up a bit.

Richlist, I agree one can buy cheap and change every 2 years, BUT the space on the wall never matches, so that wall needs to be repainted and then the other wall looks drab......

To emulsion one wall is hardly a big job if you diy.

I can't believe the other emulsioned walls look 'drab' after just a couple of years......are you using the correct paint specifically for bathrooms & kitchens ?

Or do as we have been doing in recent years, we paint the ceiling with bathroom paint and line the walls with catering grade 8x4 plastic sheet ,cures mould problems as its wipe down , we are now fitting PIR,s on the entrance to bath/shower rooms so the extractor comes on when entering the room ,they are on a timer that runs for 10 minutes after the room is vacated

• 1 month later...
Guest Antonio
Hi,

I dont have much luck with bathroom wall cabinets.

- humidity causes melamine casings to split at the seams

- mirrors start to deteriorate around the edges within about 2 years

- 'Stainless' steel cabinets from screwfix are showing signs of rust after 2 years

I would appreciate comments from others on better ways to work with this problem?

Every thing gona fade away after a time periods,what can we do is update our bathroom interior or reinstall it ,time to time.So that it will stay with there style long time.

Archived