Seen it all today

kerbut

I had a tenant vacate a property today after 3 and a half years occupation, apart from the usual mould where tenants don't seem to be able to ventilate a property , a 3 year old kitchen flooring was ripped to shreds. The former tenant had moved out over the last week but couldn't be bothered to turn up at 11.00 to be checked out by the inventory clerk,the keys and a receipt for carpet cleaning where left in the kitchen, she had ample notice about the check out procedure as I gave her a How to check out letter on 12/12 / 12 (I use Richlist,s letter slightly tailored to my requirements ) and also backed up with an email from me to her last Wednesday . Bit of a worry really as I don't have an address where to send the balance of her deposit (if there is going to be any ) to.

Bit of a worry really as I don't have an address where to send the balance of her deposit (if there is going to be any ) to.

How come you hold the deposit.....is it not protected ?

If tenants don't leave a forwarding address it doesn't really mattter to the landlord does it ? I find that a mobile number or email address is adequate for communication concerning any negotiation on deductions from deposits.

The most obvious purpose of the forwarding address is 'if' we have to pursue for outstanding dosh / expenses.

Also useful for passing to utilities as then they are more often off our backs, British Gas in particular. I give 'em a new direction and don't hear from them again, otherwise they pester.

I'm a great believer in finding something that works and sticking with it. I use, or rather my agents use on my behalf, TDS.

My partner, on the other hand, works on the premise that once you find something that works satisfactorily you then keep trying something different in case its better ! :wacko:

I think you have to hold onto any deposit not returned for 6/7 years and then it is sent to a charity or something like that.

On our application forms we ask for a next of kin address and/or another address for the purpose of corespondance at the end of a tenancy.

Archived