Consumables

Richlist

Do other landlords charge outgoing tenants for consumables ?

eg:

* I often find tenants leave my vac cleaner bag totally full so it needs replacing

* They don't replace extractor filters

* Then there are light bulbs not working

* Batteries for door bells/ smoke alarms/ clocks etc not working

* Any nets are usually washed but draw curtains they never clean

Do you swallow these costs or deduct from deposits

I normally just accept minor replacements but having said that I do not provide vacuum cleaners or any minor electrical items.

I have a certificate for smoke alarms signed by the tenant that they are installed and checked and they are responsible for ensuring they are kept working with new batteries.

Funny thing consumables.

Take heating oil.....thats a consumable. I think I'm right in saying that landlords generally expect the tenant to leave the same quantity of oil in the tank when they leave, as there was when they moved in......surely the same argument must apply to all other consumables.

I always leave vac cleaners & ironing boards.....on the basis that if I supply a vac cleaner there is more chance of floors being cleaned & the ironing board is to stop my kitchen worktops being used & damaged.

Take heating oil.....thats a consumable. I think I'm right in saying that landlords generally expect the tenant to leave the same quantity of oil in the tank when they leave, as there was when they moved in......surely the same argument must apply to all other consumables.

There is vast difference in leaving a depleted heating oil tank and the odd light bulb or vacuum cleaner bag full RL.

Of course with the price of heating oil the tenant would be responsible for replenishment of the tank upon leaving.

There is a problem with wear and tear being the cause.

We don't charge for carpets that are worn, how long should a light bulb (lamp) last and was it new at start of tenancy ?

Personally I just change lamps and batteries as needed between tenancies but not during a tenancy, although for goodwill it has been known.

The individual cost of a light bulb or battery is low and most of us wouldn't charge if thats all it was.

But, from time to time I find I get.... numerous light bulbs n/w, numerous batteries n/w, vac cleaner bags full & burst in the machine requiring all the filters to be replaced, cooker hood filters not cleaned/ replaced and hardly ever any rubbish sacks left when they move out. I just get fed up with coughing up what often comes to £20+

I totally agree RL. In your tenancies it seems you have the advantage of there being some quality in your T's.

A house I'm advertising in Church, Accrington is unlikely to get respondents who can afford a deposit, will have a g'tor of any true purpose in the event, and a job would be a luxury.

I feel lucky that the previous T of 5 years, left with 4 days notice, took all his stuff with him and none of mine. I didn't have piles of smelly rubbish left at the back, and the repairs are minimal. If I provided a vacuum it would be bust, so I don't. I could provide a cutting board to save my worktops, but I don't.

My sad attitude to this is to run many of my properties to the lowest condition I can get away with to rent them. Any better is just wiping their bums as they use, abuse and iss off.

Why worry about irritating an outggoing tenant ?

I'm in business to make money and whilst I have no problem with a few pounds, when its csting me £20+ a pop, I can be incredibly irritating.

I really couldn't care less what concerns the outgoing tenant might have. I see it as my job to help focus his/her priorities on handing back my property in a suitable condition.

Huh - this is very topical as I have just had good tenants of 3 years leave and nick a cut glass door handle set. They replaced it with a brass non turning type and stuck it in place with blue tack! The item was dead obvious as it did match the others in the hallway. On questioning them they said the mechanism broke and they did not have the handle. Replacement from John Lewis is £50 but I took the view that they paid rent for 3 years without fail and were very pleasant.........

On the light bulb issue - a lot of my lets had multi bulb fittings and I am now gradually going back to single pendant low energy fittings with bulbs that allegedly last 20,000 hours. I had it written into my AST that any missing or non functioning bulb was charged at £10 a go. The hassle of locating all these separate types of bulbs was just too much. Am I too mean?

Mortitia

Huh - this is very topical as I have just had good tenants of 3 years leave and nick a cut glass door handle set. They replaced it with a brass non turning type and stuck it in place with blue tack! The item was dead obvious as it did match the others in the hallway. On questioning them they said the mechanism broke and they did not have the handle. Replacement from John Lewis is £50 but I took the view that they paid rent for 3 years without fail and were very pleasant.........

Mortitia

I had this happen to me so I said that it should have been reported to me in order that I could replace or repair and not to find out about it myself when you have vacated. I charged them the full replacement value. There was no disagreement and they paid up.

Archived