strange request from tenants?

chickpea

Hi guys,

Haven't been on here for a few months since, happily, we've had no problems with our new tenants.

Just to give you some background - we have a 2 bed semi which we are currently letting, through a management team, to a couple from Poland.

They recently had their 3 month inspection and raised an issue with concerns about energy efficiency.

They are worried about bring able to afford to heat the house through the winter - they say it s going to cost too much (not sure how they can predict this, since they only moved in at the end of March). They have specifically asked whether we would replace the front door with a double glazed unit. However, there is a small hall and a second door leading into the lounge (no radiator in the hall, only in the lounge), so my questions are -

a/ would a double glazed front door make any real difference,and

b/ are we under any obligation yo replace the front door at their request?

The house is fully double glazed, other than the front door, and it also, of course, had an energy efficiency certificate available when they decided to rent it. Is it really down to us to save them money on their heating bills?

At the same time as they raised this issue, they also told the agent they would like to sign for another year at the end of the AST. (not sure if this was a bribe to get us to comply over the front door or not). Am I right in thinking we would be better to move over to a rolling contract, with one month's notice for both parties?

Thanks for any advice/comments you may have.

It will make a difference but not very much.

No.

Am I right in thinking we would be better to move over to a rolling contract, with one month's notice for both parties?

There is no bettter or worse just personal choice and mutual agreement.

It will make a difference but not very much.

No.

Am I right in thinking we would be better to move over to a rolling contract, with one month's notice for both parties?

There is no bettter or worse just personal choice and mutual agreement.

Thanks Rich.

I thought the preference for a rolling contract was that we could give notice at any time of a month - or would that be the same with an AST that become's a year's contract?

Tracey I prefer a SPT as then there is no fixed term to expire. You need to read up on the notice period, LL gives 2 months, T gives 1 month, both ending on the last day of a tenancy period.

You could suggest that you might contribute £250 - £300 toward a new front door (on invoice). You need see any quote and approve quality of works. Make sure they're willing to sign that they hold no value or expect a later return for their contribution. They'll likely forget the door then.

No... absolutely not Tracy re- the front door.

Why should you you pay out £600 plus for a new front door? Sure if it's falling apart then yes good decision but if it's in good condition well glazed and painted etc. then why replace it?

Have they checked the loft insulation?

Cavity wall insulation installed?

These are the questions they should be asking regarding heat loss.

Mel.

Hi Tracey,

I would point out to the tenants that they have rented what they saw when they viewed. End of. They are renting not owning and you don't have to make any improvements they ask for - I am find this a bit of a trend with Poles at the moment - they move in and want all sorts done after signing up.

You need to take charge and tell them a firm 'no' regarding the door.

Mortitia

I do agree some Poles can be more demanding than British tenants.

If the door needs replacing and you were planning to do it you may as well do it now to keep the tenants.

If not you dont have to and may either do nothing or get a good quailty draft excluder fitted and or door curtain.

Only you can make the decision but if the tenants move because of it, it may cost you more in an vacant period. Sometimes you have to call the tenants bluff but be prepared for either outcome.

My (now ex) Polish T's wanted me to speak Polish, they said I was racist as I couldn't provide an AST in their language and communicate with them easily.

They understood "get stuffed" well enough though.

They understood so well they stuffed me for £1,200. I should think myself lucky really.

Hi guys,

Haven't been on here for a few months since, happily, we've had no problems with our new tenants.

Just to give you some background - we have a 2 bed semi which we are currently letting, through a management team, to a couple from Poland.

They recently had their 3 month inspection and raised an issue with concerns about energy efficiency.

They are worried about bring able to afford to heat the house through the winter - they say it s going to cost too much (not sure how they can predict this, since they only moved in at the end of March). They have specifically asked whether we would replace the front door with a double glazed unit. However, there is a small hall and a second door leading into the lounge (no radiator in the hall, only in the lounge), so my questions are -

The house is fully double glazed, other than the front door, and it also, of course, had an energy efficiency certificate available when they decided to rent it. Is it really down to us to save them money on their heating bills?

At the same time as they raised this issue, they also told the agent they would like to sign for another year at the end of the AST. (not sure if this was a bribe to get us to comply over the front door or not). Am I right in thinking we would be better to move over to a rolling contract, with one month's notice for both parties?

Thanks for any advice/comments you may have.

Hi Tracey, welcome back.

No new door & a rolling contract.

How's that for concise. Lol!

Thanks for all your replies - and the welcome back :-)

Interesting to hear the variety of views on this - nice to know that LLs are as varied as tenants in their attitudes ;-)

Long term, all the windows and front door will need replacing, as they are double glazed in wooden frames (except the front door, which is single glazed) but we're not inclined to be pushed into that by tenants who are trying to save money on their fuel bills (and UPVC frames won't make a difference to energy efficiency anyway!) I seem to remember the agent mentioning the reason they left their last rental property was because "it was too cold"...not sure how temperatures in South Wales compare to Romania!? (they're Romanian, not Polish - I always get mixed up).

If it proves to be a deal-breaker, I guess we'll have learnt a lesson.

Guest tenants_from_hell

1) You dont have to change the front door, you only are required to do so if it is damage causing risk or hazard

2) How long have they stayed? If its only been 3 months, and if they wish to go then let them. Speak with the management team you might be able to get new tenants in sooner than you think, as this is an extra cost when its not really needed...

1) You dont have to change the front door, you only are required to do so if it is damage causing risk or hazard

2) How long have they stayed? If its only been 3 months, and if they wish to go then let them. Speak with the management team you might be able to get new tenants in sooner than you think, as this is an extra cost when its not really needed...

Thanks.

There is nothing wrong with the front door. It is painted wood and single glazed, with no damage.

The tenants have been in for 4 months now. Without sounding over-confident, I suspect we would have no problem finding new tenants, as the house attracted several interested parties very quickly after it went on the books last time - we had a choice of tenants, and the market here is even more buoyant now.

I am not saying roll over and give in to every request of your tenants but do the numbers and take that into your decision making.

If the rent is say £650 pcm and it takes 3 weeks to find a new tenant that is £450 in lost rent which is about the cost of a new door anyway and you will still need to fit a new door sometime in the future.

You also may get the same complaint from new tenant.

But if you do put a new door in there is no guarantee the tenants will stay anyway unless you sign them up to a 12+ month new contract and then they could make further demands anyway.

All part of the fun of being a landlord.

Archived