Fire Regulations

msmith111

My understanding is that fire regulations pertaining to fire doors are part of building regulations and (in UK) apply only to communal areas of flats.

I suggest you ask your Local Authority Building Control department, and/or try Googling for appropriate regulations for your type of property.

Smoke and carbon monoxide detectors are recommended for all properties.

Others may reply with superior knowledge on this.

I know the smoke detectors need to be hard wired and connecting, with one on each floor. I will maybe give the building control a call.

Not necessarily.....only in property built after 1990 I think.

What type of property is it and what is the location i.e......is it an HMO, is it above a shop, is it a house or a flat etc etc ?

Guest tenants_from_hell

^

That link takes you to a place with lots of law jargon and very hard to understand...

Fire doors/frames are just for HMO properties (well in my area anyway different councils might have different regs).

You only need a mains powered smoke alarm system again for a HMO property.

If you rent the property to a group of friends/family you dont need any of the above and you can have battery powered smoke alarms.

Make decisions wisely new landlord, welcome to the game. People will say "oh install a mains fire alarm your tenants will be attracted to the house etc etc" You might not need a mains powered smoke alarm and just waste money. You cant waste money in this game as you got lots and lots of other expenses electric, gas, insurance, repairs, decorating etc etc.

^

That link takes you to a place with lots of law jargon and very hard to understand...

Fire doors/frames are just for HMO properties (well in my area anyway different councils might have different regs).

If you rent the property to a group of friends/family you dont need any of the above and you can have battery powered smoke alarms.

Make decisions wisely new landlord, welcome to the game. People will say "oh install a mains fire alarm your tenants will be attracted to the house etc etc" You might not need a mains powered smoke alarm and just waste money. You cant waste money in this game as you got lots and lots of other expenses electric, gas, insurance, repairs, decorating etc etc.

Well once again there's plenty of good advice out there so it's up to individual landlords whether they heed this advice or not.

My close working relationship with the fire service & building control whilst I was installing fire detection systems dictates what I install in my rental properties but there will always be those who choose to cut corners & again there are court cases recorded where such landlords have paid the price.

Guest tenants_from_hell

Well once again there's plenty of good advice out there so it's up to individual landlords whether they heed this advice or not.

My close working relationship with the fire service & building control whilst I was installing fire detection systems dictates what I install in my rental properties but there will always be those who choose to cut corners & again there are court cases recorded where such landlords have paid the price.

Its "advice" like that makes the landlord fork out more than they need too! Many factors are also looked into i.e. whose at fault, who or how did the fire start etc etc. If the property is in good nick you shouldnt have a problem. If the tenant is an @rse then you might do...

I advise the OP to weigh up his costs on a spreadsheet involved in property letting and make reasonable cuts as where he see's fits!

Also since you was an installer you might have the contacts to obtain fire alarms/systems/cabling and any other bits and bobs needed much cheaper to what some of us would pay an installer and therefore you can afford too...

Its "advice" like that makes the landlord fork out more than they need too! Many factors are also looked into i.e. whose at fault, who or how did the fire start etc etc. If the property is in good nick you shouldnt have a problem. If the tenant is an @rse then you might do...

I advise the OP to weigh up his costs on a spreadsheet involved in property letting and make reasonable cuts as where he see's fits!

Also since you was an installer you might have the contacts to obtain fire alarms/systems/cabling and any other bits and bobs needed much cheaper to what some of us would pay an installer and therefore you can afford too...

I bought my detectors on the internet for the same price as anyone else would pay. You may choose to make what you deem to be 'reasonable cuts' whilst others may not, especially in the area of fire safety.

This forum is intended for everyone to be able to give advice which some members might take & others might not.

Any advice I give is just that, advice & can be accepted or rejected by the reader as they see fit.

We have just started asking all our landlords if they want one fitted at the same time the gas cert is done. If the landlord refuses we make a note on the file. Most are agreeing though.

Though I have been told by one of our plumbers it isn't that necessary with the boilers nowadays because of the way they are now made . Don't know how correct that statement is though.

Better safe than sorry

Guest tenants_from_hell

I bought my detectors on the internet for the same price as anyone else would pay. You may choose to make what you deem to be 'reasonable cuts' whilst others may not, especially in the area of fire safety.

This forum is intended for everyone to be able to give advice which some members might take & others might not.

Any advice I give is just that, advice & can be accepted or rejected by the reader as they see fit.

I did not mean "reasonable cuts" in terms of fire safety - now your judging to conclusions already. I clearlly mentioned when he produces a spreadsheet and sets his budget he will have to keep his costs down in 1 or 2 sectors. And since you mentioned "close working with fire service" and what not what came to mind is you go for the mains powered system which costs more.

Next time, digest properly what someone says before trying to imply they "cut corners" on fire safety.

^

Your ignorance of the fire regulations is truly appalling.

Though I have been told by one of our plumbers it isn't that necessary with the boilers nowadays because of the way they are now made . Don't know how correct that statement is though.

Better safe than sorry

It's not only the domestic boiler's Grampa. The main concern is faulty gas fires. My Son has lost count of the number of faulty gas fires he has condemned for leakage/spillage and has shut down for reasons of safety.

It is true that most boiler's are "room sealed" now against fume spillage but I believe a CO monitor is worthwhile. I have one in my own home so why not in a rental property?

I'd always fit a CO detector. A detector with a 6 year lithium battery costs under £30 so you're guarding against CO poisoning for under £5 a year. My smoke detectors will cost me £10 a year during their lifespan.

CO poisoning can originate from a neighbouring property in terraced houses, semis, flats etc.

I have a fairly simplistic view to this subject which is that in the event of injury or loss to a tenant, can I show that I've taken all reasonable steps to protect the tenant & which is the test used by Judges.

I now await a post which attempts to discredit my advice.

CO detectors aren't required by legislation so its down to personal choice irrespective of any advice or recommendation given.

What IS surprising to me is that gas appliances require an annual safety check in rental property BUT they don't require ANY checks in owner occupied residential property.

Guest tenants_from_hell

Your ignorance of the fire regulations is truly appalling.

There is no ignorance. If the regulations dont require you to have something, by law, you dont need to have it. Similarly with the CO detectors you mentioned.

You seem like a salesperson from the website you mentioned.

Because if you was a landlord, you would know how much fire doors/frames, and mains powered smoke alarm/system along with a control panel would cost. Several years ago, in my HMO property the mains powered alarm along with a control panel cost me about £1200-1400. Fire doors, frames, door enclsoures, and locks with new handles (locks that you can open from the inside without a key) in total cost me nearly £2000 including labour.

So dont you tell me I am neglecting fire regulations. If I was to install the above in my non-HMO properties I would be looking at above £20,000 in costs easily.

You dont seem to have a clue from a landlords point of view and making sound as if money grows on trees. I shall not reply to your tactical saleperson replies now.

I quote you said: "I'd always fit a CO detector."

If you do you would have said "I always" not "I'd" making it sound if you did have a property to let you would do this, you really arent a landlord are you? See the years of experience can pick fibbers out easily..

@ Richlist you are right about owner-occupiers not requiring a gas safety certificate. Maybe because they are likely to be more careful than tenants who usually dont give a damn?

I think you have a definite attitude problem to both your tenants and other users of this forum Tenants from hell, caravanj certainly is a landlord and came to this forum over a year ago along with myself ( I had been a member for several years ,but not really used the forum ) along with RL ,COR,Grandpa and caravanj etc.It seems to me all you want is confrontation which I don't think is welcome on this forum , only last week I made a comment is it Tenants from hell ,or Landlords from hell and got a cocky reply inferring that Landlords get a raw deal as if I was a tenant, as you said you are an experienced landlord of 5 years and have been around property for 20 years,just to let you know I bought my first BTL 37 years ago and the other 44 followed year by year (all mortgage free). If you can give me any tips I would be pleased to hear them, as this is written in Queens English I wonder if you will be able to understand it.

Guest tenants_from_hell

I think you have a definite attitude problem to both your tenants and other users of this forum Tenants from hell, caravanj certainly is a landlord and came to this forum over a year ago along with myself ( I had been a member for several years ,but not really used the forum ) along with RL ,COR,Grandpa and caravanj etc.It seems to me all you want is confrontation which I don't think is welcome on this forum , only last week I made a comment is it Tenants from hell ,or Landlords from hell and got a cocky reply inferring that Landlords get a raw deal as if I was a tenant, as you said you are an experienced landlord of 5 years and have been around property for 20 years,just to let you know I bought my first BTL 37 years ago and the other 44 followed year by year (all mortgage free). If you can give me any tips I would be pleased to hear them, as this is written in Queens English I wonder if you will be able to understand it.

Before stating whether I can read, maybe you should learn to read which you can't do and your not a good liar are you?

Caravanj joined the forum in April 2012, so how did he join it over a year ago??!

^

Since you couldn't lie on a basic fact, I don't intend to believe anything you have to say nor reply to what you got to say to me because you seem like another idiot...

End of, lol.

Before stating whether I can read, maybe you should learn to read which you can't do and your not a good liar are you?

Caravanj joined the forum in April 2012, so how did he join it over a year ago??!

^

Since you couldn't lie on a basic fact, I don't intend to believe anything you have to say nor reply to what you got to say to me because you seem like another idiot...

End of, lol.

Because if you'd got the brains to work it out you'd have seen that in my original reply to Axil's post about squatters, I put a link to a post of mine which was done in early 2011 under my forum name of caravanj. Due to a glitch on the site, long before you joined, my membership reverted to guest status so I had to rejoin to get full status,so kerbut's not the liar you've accused him of being.

Archived