Abu Qatada Deportation Timing

Richlist

Its interesting to listen to the X2 arguments concening the timing for the Abu Qatada appeal. It all sounds very similar to some of the confusion, misunderstanding, guesswork and simple unknowns concerning notice dates for landlords.

Following the January 17th ruling the Home Office had a 3 month deadline to appeal.....they believed this to expire midnight on the April 16th. The European courts took a different view and said it was midnight on April 17th.

Personally I think Teresa May is correct but......

Since he's in Europe we should allow him to cross to France, in the back of a wagon would be appropriate, then not our problem any more.

I've only caught a bit of this argument but thought it was Europe that considered the date to be earlier than the Civil Service. An opposition MP said "She should have telephoned the European Court and asked what the date was instead of trusting her advisers."

I guess I got the wrong end.

Apparently the EU Court doesn't have legal jurisdictional on this so he could be catapulted out anyway, that gets my vote.

All the media coverage these terrorists are getting at the moment can only help further their cause and aid recruitment.

Jack Straw now being sued for being a bad boy, it's a no lose situation for them.

Its interesting to listen to the X2 arguments concening the timing for the Abu Qatada appeal. It all sounds very similar to some of the confusion, misunderstanding, guesswork and simple unknowns concerning notice dates for landlords.

Following the January 17th ruling the Home Office had a 3 month deadline to appeal.....they believed this to expire midnight on the April 16th. The European courts took a different view and said it was midnight on April 17th.

Personally I think Teresa May is correct but......

Using the EU Court's figures Qatada has 3 months and 1 day so the EU are at fault for saying he had 3 months. 3 months + 1 day ain't 3 months!

I reckon it'd be a lot cheaper to subcontract the job to Mossad!

Abu Qatada.........

Personally I don't care what date was on the EUCHR this Scumbag after 10 years of legal wrangling should be gone!

The ability to deport foreign terrorists who present a clear danger to national security should be a paramount and non-negotiable entitlement of a sovereign nation and not some foreign court of dubious legality that protects terrorists.

Can't we just catch him red-handed doing something really bad and deport him on that basis, I mean he must be just about the most watched person in the UK? Like for example, illegal file sharing on the internet? This sounds much more cut and dry to me.

Successive Home Secretaries have been trying for 10 years to get rid of him.

I believe its imperitive that our Government operates within the law. Breaking that law because you are frustrated by the process makes you no better than the people you are trying to deport.

Irrespective of other Governments actions and seemingly ridiculous European rulings our Government should maintain its position and act lawfully.

This Country has managed quite well for a thousand years regarding the Law and abiding by the law as it stands.

Abu Qatada has been put through our British legal system and lodged appeals to the highest authority in the land and that is the Law Lords. He has lost all of these appeals so why the delay?

The ECHR should have no say in the matter for the reasons I have already outlined in my comments above.

We have followed the due law process in determining the status of Qatada and he should be ejected from this Country now.

The ECHR have lost ALL credibity anyway as they have failed to reprimand France and Italy for removing undesirable persons from their Countries without the opportunity for those persons the right of appeal to the ECHR and those persons were ejected back to Countries where local legal systems and evidence gathering are highly suspect.

Looks like Abu is gonna be staying for a while longer whilst my money is on Teresa May looking for alternative employment.

Nobody said life had to be fair.:P

I wonder how true the report was that said that the ECHR office contacted Abu Qatar's solicitors and advised them to get their appeal in before midnight on the Tuesday because the British Home Secretary had got her dates wrong?

Teresa May well may resign but her decisions would have been in full consultation with her Civil Service advisors and they won't be sacked either for being wrong!

In politics the 'buck' always stops at the Government Minister responsible,,,,,,in this case the Home Secretary. As I've said, its not always fair but politicians know the risks and how to play the game before they take the position.

Theresa May is said to have failed for not understanding the appeal cut off date.

Personally I feel you have advisers to advise but do see the ultimate responsibility.

Had the Lady realised the correct cut off date what difference would it have made to the outcome of the appeal going in on time ?

I guess I'm missing something here again ??

Had the Lady realised the correct cut off date what difference would it have made to the outcome of the appeal going in on time ?

I guess I'm missing something here again ??

Yes you are missing something. Let me try to explain.

The Government lodged their documents when they thought the time for Abu Qatadas lawyers to lodge an appeal had passed. The European court agreed that the UK Gov were wrong and that Abu Qatadas appeal was valid & in time. All Teresa May had to do......and I know its easy in hindsight.......is to have lodged their papers a day or two latter and any appeal by Qatada would have been ruled to late by everybody. Life's is a bitch someimes !

Doesn't that assume that the killing gits lawyers would have missed the deadline ?

I can see that them being useless is possible, but less than likely.

Archived