refurb after tenant move out

julles

After chatting to a friend of mine who works for a council as a rehousing officer I wonder if I am too particular.

My friend was telling me what condition the council properties are in when they are handed over to a new tenant...I was shocked....most are left in the same state from when they are returned from a previous tenant, usually without even a clean, let alone a redecorate/carpet etc.And it is up to the new tenant to get on with making it clean and habitable.And we are not just talking grubby windows and maybe a stained carpet. :o

Just spent a couple of days staying away from home, cleaning, fixing taps ,cookers,locks and re painting(still not finished, new flooring needed) so the property can be re-let...and this house was by no means trashed, just a little well used :rolleyes: am I wrong, will my new tenants expect this or should I just clean it up, make acceptable and expect the tenants to make the best of it . :huh:

just a thought

totally agree with that Chestnut...

As private landlords we are often given a bad press....I could not believe the state of some of the council properties when they are handed over to a tenant,not just run down area's either.

No wonder some council/HB tenants think it ok to leave a house in the condition they often do.

HB tenants have a lower expectation than the more affluent members of society/other tenant groups and have, I'm sure, learnt to expect poor quality, low cost, rough end of the neighbourhood properties to be made available to them.

Presenting clean, tidy, well decorated and maintained housing will often ensure you match or exceed the competition for the better tenants.

Ask any tradesman who are constantly entering properties day-in and day-out, owner occupied or rented and there are some real horror stories to be told about the condition behind the front door.

I have seen enough myself to last a lifetime. Best one from memory?

Went to a property to repair a leaking HW cylinder and the whole of the 24' long lounge was racked out and multi-shelved floor to ceiling with second hand car spares.....no furniture or telly or anything like that in place. :D

Oh! and the cars to be broken up were in the front garden and yes, this was a rented property as well.

Mel.

I used to do much work between lets, a pride thing. I would use the opportunity to enhance and develop.

Over the years I've learnt that the ones expecting a high standard, even those on some sort of benefit, will often use it, abuse and then bugger off to the next nice place.

Many of us must have seen the new kitchen worktop with the cutting marks and / or burn marks. Do we replace them after such a T? Aside from it being soul destroying that is significant expense and much work.

Then there are those that will involve themselves and see potential rather than nit pick. They actually want to live good and apply the effort to do that.

Now I do as I need to get T's. We never really know what we will get until they've had the keys for a while so I no longer create the palace having high expectations of the T's.

It's business so I spend enough money, apply enough effort to keep the rents flowing, I'm not sure I always get the balance right though and there are probably some good T's lost along the way. But how could I know?

Archived