Choice of 2 tenants

Grampa

Got the choice of two tenants for a large 2 bed dated flat and wondered which one the other forum member would choose. It is not the easiest property to rent out for a number of reasons.

1. Single mum 22 with 2 children (2 & 4 months) Housing Benefit paid in full (£675) direct to me. Mother lives nearby also and maybe could be a guarantor.

2. Foreign man from Indonesia (bad English) works in a care home for past few years and wants to bring wife and 2 sons over. Can pay 6 months’ rent up front and supply a guarantor (to be confirmed)

No checks been done yet and I know some of you guys wouldn’t consider either (no names mentioned) for you properties.

I have my own ideas but just curious what you think.

In the case of No.2 he can't just "bring his Wife over" there is more to it than that in obtaining a UK Visa for family members.

No.1 would be the better choice ( of a bad choice :D ) at least you could talk to her in English and not have to pay for an interpreter for No. 2 in the eviction Court. :D

Mel.

No checks been done yet and I know some of you guys wouldn’t consider either (no names mentioned) for you properties.

Yes, I'm one of those that wouldn't accept either because:-

No 1

* is under 25....always higher risk

* has young children.....can be high W&T

* is on HB.....I always avoid

* is probably not working......I only take working (full time) tenants

No 2

* Poor English......means problems when you need to communicate

* Family arrive from Indonesia...... will presumably NOT be working

* 6 months rent in advance....... can be very problematic.

Make sure you get rent guarantee insurance if you don't get a HOME OWNING guarantor.

Number one on plus side housing benefit should be maintained notwithstanding recent changes re LHA, you have a possible guarantor, there will no pressure on her to find work by the DWP until childs 7. Against any problem with HB then overpayment may be recovered from you down the line as you are getting DP. Although property is big enough for her at the moment, if she has another child (likely it would seem) then she will look for re-housing and you may loose your tenant.

Number two 6 months rent in advance useful and with guarantor low risk, language should not be an issue. If he is bringing over his wife and two children, he will no recourse to public funds and would have to be in a position to accommodate them for at least two years therefore he will have to work to keep a roof over his head incentive enough I am sure. Against, immigration department may decide property not big enough to accommodate family and refuse entry.

Obtaining Visa's for the UK has really tightened up in the last 2 years in spite of what you may read in the national press and this link below will give you some idea of what it takes now for family entry into the UK.

http://www.marriagevisahelp.com/index.php?page=uk

These responses seem RIDICULOUS to me:.......

Mahindra = If a landlord was to draw up a priority list of the most important factors for determining a suitable tenant........having a long term tenant would come way down my list. It would certainly be less important than.....someone who could afford the rent, look after the property, minimise w&t, be low risk, provide guarantees, not result in extra expense/ decoration/ repairs etc etc.

LAW = 'Language'' should not be an issue ? Are you kidding me ? Someone who can't speak English is a MAJOR problem.

Mahindra = If a landlord was to draw up a priority list of the most important factors for determining a suitable tenant........having a long term tenant would come way down my list. It would certainly be less important than.....someone who could afford the rent, look after the property, minimise w&t, be low risk, provide guarantees, not result in extra expense/ decoration/ repairs etc etc.

LAW = 'Language'' should not be an issue ? Are you kidding me ? Someone who can't speak English is a MAJOR problem.

Phew! Thank goodness you didn't include me Richlist :rolleyes::D

I have to admit if I did DSS No.2 would not even be considered under any circumstances and I for one have heard and read the horror stories of landlord's dealing with language problems with tenant's especially when the problems of non payment and eviction arise.

Mel.

Why should language be a problem? Here we have someone in work who is strongly motivated to stay in work and keep a roof over his head.

If only a landlords lot was as simple as that.

1) The ability to communicate (specifically in English) is a major requirement for landlords and tenants. As you don't consider it necessary, I can only assume that either you don't let property or if you do then, you have not had a need to communicate with a non English speaking tenant.

2) Whilst a strong motivation to keep ones job and a roof over ones head are commendable attributes they are not enough to qualify an applicant for any rental property, let alone one of Grampa''s!

Is your post meant to be a joke ? Are you serious or just trying to wind me up ?

What a can of worms I have opened.:D

I will let you know how I get on. I would rather not have either and will be telling the landlord that and give my reasons (which have been mentioned here). But knowing him he will push for one unless someone else suitable come along soon.

Out of the 2 i would prefer the young lady if I had to pick one as i deal if a lot of benefit tenants and know my way round it, If i get pushed intoit I will do a 3 month tenancy and serve a s21 at the start. I will also do inspections at 2/3 months.

I do also get a lot of support from the local council and if I get problems they send someone who reads them the riot act.

If a tenancy granted I will post the outcome and maybe a monthly blog :unsure:

What a can of worms I have opened.:D

See I don't agree with you on that statement. That is exactly what a forum is all about. You are obtaining other people's advice and views on a subject matter and then it is down to the person to accept or reject that advice that is given out to them.

Mel.

In my own opinion, T no. 1 is of advantage. Since her mother is residing nearby, you can talk to her immediately if problem arises. Aside form that, there is also a big possibility that T can stay in your apartment for long. Which of course could add up in your income.

As the 1st tenant is in receipt of full housing benefit and be directly paid to landlord and possibly have guarantor then this person staying long term could be of advantage

Archived