Changing the locks

chickpea

Personally I don't but, I know of landlords that do.

If you have had a particularly difficult tenant(s) and terminating the tenancy has been strained then its probably a good idea.

The costs of spare locks along with any spare keys are tax deductable and can usually be used on any other properties you may have.

I have to say that I always do but for me it is an easy job to carry out as I alternate the locks that I have as "spares." Cheap enough to buy and fit yourself especially the UPVc door locks.

You never know where keys have ended up with some tenants.

Mel.

If you are going to exchange locks every other tenants then I think you can increase security since you'll have different locks from time to time.

I still don't see how that increases security.

I've never changed locks on entry/ exit doors in over 10 years and 100's of tenants and never had a security issue.

Perhaps what you are suggesting is just another disadvantage of letting to HB tenants ?

I still don't see how that increases security.

I guess there are tenants who makes duplicate copies of their keys.

Sorry for this question but, do you use same locks for your doors?

Perhaps what you are suggesting is just another disadvantage of letting to HB tenants ?

Yes, another disadvantage.

• 3 weeks later...

Whenever a tenant moves out I *always* change the lock. These days most of my properties have UPVC doors so exchanging the Eurobarrel takes literally 2 minutes!. I will then retain the eurobarrel and move to a different property when that becomes vacant in the future. This, to me is a cost effective way of keeping my property secure and means the new tenants are less likely to change the locks after they move in

I change the locks at T departure for a 'between lets' euro barrel.

The new T are offered 'New' barrels at £12 each, because I am in business and not a charity.

If they wish to take the chance it's their belongings (etc) at risk.

In the past I used to replace locks for new T's as a matter of course. Removed locks would only be re-used on properties some distance away so any ex T (or friend) who may have become aware of my other properties couldn't 'give their key (or a copy key) a try.

I ended up with lots of locks and the extra problem of organising where barrels had been used. Trying to simplify an ever more complicated business now I don't.

Archived