using email for giving/receiving notices?

Freefall

In all the info I've seen, it seems to be that the only valid way to serve or receive notices is by written letter. Will email not suffice in this day and age? Obviously, I don't mean if there are any problems, like serving a section 8, but if there is a good landlord-tenant relationship and I want to give/receive notices by email? Can I add a clause to the AST that a copy of all notices should be sent to my email address in addition to the postal address? It is much easier to keep an eye and respond promptly via email than written letter.

I'm not sure which notices you refer to but assuming it's important to demonstrate service I don't see email as good.

"Computer bust"

"sever down"

"didn't check emails"..........

Personlly I'm sick to death of tenants who can only seem to communicate via 'text'.

I'm gonna make it clear for all new tenancies that contacting me will only be carried out using the following media......telephone, email and snail mail. No other forms of communication will be allowed.....especially text messaging.

As an agent we have found the ability to contact tenants by text a god send.

A lot of tenants will not pick up voice messages left on mob phones because it costs and some will just not pick up if they see your number come up on the display if there are any rent arrears.

But they all read their text messages.

We use text tank so the text can be sent via the pc and It tells you if the message has been delivered. You would be supprised how many tenants then call you back after a well writentext message.

http://www.texttank.co.uk/

None of my tenants have arrears, most of them have at least X2 numbers on which I can phone them (they have X3 numbers on which to call me 24/7) and all of us have email......so no need for text.

When is technology gonna catch up with the rest of us.........rant time:

1. Texting requires fingers the size of baby carrots......we are all waiting for voice activation......I've got it in my car so when do we get it on our mobiles ?

2. Why does my phone require me to go thru at least x3 menu screens to turn on bluetooth and wifi ? Guess what......a single button would be very useful but, surely the designers already know that ?

3. Why does leaving bluetooth and wifi switched on run phone batteries down so quickly ? Could it be because the batteries are to small ?

Do we get all this with 4G or 5G ?

I don't like texts either but cheers Grampa I'll look into that link cos the bloody stuff is part of life and can't be avoided, worst luck.

RL you need Android Gingerbread, talk to text, talk to BT on/off and wifi, so I'm told as I've not got around to it yet.. From home screen there is a simple pull down menu with all the BT, wifi, GPS.... on easy access. I'm an old git and even I find it easy, bloody good it is, and that's before I download free apps for all sorts (some are crap though).

Oh aye and I picked up a little power pack, charges 240 /12v with usb output, grand for those emergencies. Actually I bought it for the motor bycycle to recharge the phone and helmet headset on the hoof, charges on the bike and then can run em for days, £14 damn clever these Chinese.

I finding texting about repairs (not always arrears) handy. Example - trying to get tenant to be in for plumber to do GC.

I suppose I think I am cool by communicating with anyone under 30!

Downside happened this weekend - old phone died. Orange gave me inexplicable destructions on how to save text in Outlook. (Have not used Outlook for years). Result is contacts up to S in new phone and all texts lost. Orange took old phone at same time as delivering new - aaaarghhhh!

Thanks guys for those tips.

Mortitia

Thanks Grampa......I just signed up to Text Tank......looks good.

RL you need Android Gingerbread, talk to text, talk to BT on/off and wifi, so I'm told as I've not got around to it yet.. From home screen there is a simple pull down menu with all the BT, wifi, GPS.... on easy access.

Got one of those.....perhaps I need to read the destructions.

Oh aye and I picked up a little power pack, charges 240 /12v with usb output, grand for those emergencies.

I'm trying to avoid flat battery 'emergencies'.

I'm aware of extra power packs but they just make the phone extra large.......the designers need to get the extra power packs built in to the phone. I don't want to be plugging the phone in to charge it everywhere I go.....its supposed to be a mobile device.

I am not a big fan of texting but it is the way of the world nowadays.

I hate texting on a mob phone and takes me ages thats why i like text tank because you can do it on the PC and i don't bother about text speak either and I type as I would be writing a short note to someone.. We charge the account with 20 quid and it lasts us months. Also you can log into the account from any PC.

We arrange a lot of our inspections and maintenance via text and if it is ever tricky to arrange because a tenant wont enter into any dialog about I & M a text saying we will let ourselves in on a certain date unless they get back to us always does the trick and they are on the phone asap. I would like to add we would never actually go into a property without permission but they don't know that.

Works for me.

RL on Gingerbread 2.3.4 just swipe down on any of the left to right pages.

At the top is the 'utilities' on / off menu, this can be swipes left / right also.

Text to speak is in the setting but I'll have to get my little girlie to teach me how how use that.

I'm such a reluctant mobile user my battery can last for 6 days. I considered the power pack good for the bike but also when travelling the GPS is useful for getting around the cities (I don't like paying for network navigation) on GPS the battery runs down fast.

Unlike you I don't mind if my T's have to act like adults at unsocial times so I have a dual sim phone to enable just 1 sim to remain active.

I have been taught the value by drunken prats ringing about an advertised property at 2am.

I use text as a cost and time saver, I pay £8.66 a month for 100 minutes of calls and 100 texts. In a normal month that easily covers everything, so we only give out the mobile, especially when we are advertising a property. One of my tenants also likes to talk and i simply don't have the time to chat. Re chubby fingers, I have a touch screen phone and use a stylus, now I have got used to it, it is simples. They all have a landline for us, but understand that it is for emergencies only.

I also have speech recognition in my car, it sucks. Tell it to find Heathrow on the sat nav and it starts answering me back.

Dave

It's letter's and the written communication for me I have to say. :D

No doubts, no if's, no but's, no queries, no denials, chrystal clear communication.

It's not all bad being a Dinasour. :D

Mel.

I'm quite happy to give official notices e.g. section 21 by post if that is required - but for communication to get to me, if would make much more sense for the tenant to email me as I can access my email from anywhere and spend long periods of time away from my official address. I guess I can't stipulate that official notices be sent to me by email but just let the tenant know that they'll find it easier to reach me that way. I would have thought that email would be appropriate for everything as long as a response is also received from the tenant - after all, it's a written record. Wouldn't it only if they didn't respond to the email etc that you'd need to send a formal letter?

I use text as a cost and time saver, I pay £8.66 a month for 100 minutes of calls and 100 texts.

With Text Tank 100 texts would cost you £4.20

It looks like its also tax deductable for those of us who operate as sole traders.

I also have speech recognition in my car, it sucks. Tell it to find Heathrow on the sat nav and it starts answering me back.

If its a German car I'm told its best if you adopt a very dominant tone.......and that they don't like it if you tell them they are wrong.

I can't blame it for objecting to a trip to Heathrow.....awfull place.

• 3 months later...

I use DPS and routinely notify my tenants by copy of the DPS receipt emails.

But the recent RLA notice of things I should be doing has me appalled at the waste of time and effort.

Is it really true that for EACH tenant, I must print the deposit details plus 11 PAGES of DPS conditions and get a signed receipt they have been received ?

Why not send a text or email with a web link to the information ?

If I must print the DPS 11 pages, can I do it once for each flat and put it in the flat information booklet ?

Archived