Refrence when tenants in arrears

julles

Hello

Just a what would you do question here

Tenants are in arrears and on s21 notice and absolutely no rent coming my way at all,even though I had previously said I would work out a plan for arrears if normal rent payments resumed.

Today I have been informed that tenants have given my number to their propspective new landlord. :) but not yet had any request from them.Great as at least they are going to be moving on

I cannot lie on the refrence (and would not do it to another landlord anyway)so probably my best bet would be not to give a refrence at all.

My tenant now blaming me that they cannot move out of my property with no where to go if my refrence (or lack of it )is not accepted by their new landlord .

In the past I have always been "lucky" enough to have the tenant just leave without telling me before the s21 needed to be taken further.

Any thoughts ???

I guess I will be seeing the s21 through on this one.

Any thoughts ???

Yes.

You have X4 choices

1. You could give a good reference BUT ask yourself how you would feel if you were on the receiving end of a glowing reference and subsequently found out that it was a pack of lies. If proof of the deception could be prooved you would almost definitely loose in court and be liable for a pile of compensation not to mention the embarrassment.

2. You could say nothing which is also, in my opinion, morally unacceptable in this situation.

3. You could tell the truth and use the existing legal processes to evict. You could hold your head up high, proud in the knowledge that you did the right thing and feel satisfied that you didn't let these tenants drag you down to their level of behaviour.

4. Use the promise of a reference to extract the money outstanding from your tenants.

Any thoughts ???

Yes.

You have X4 choices

1. You could give a good reference BUT ask yourself how you would feel if you were on the receiving end of a glowing reference and subsequently found out that it was a pack of lies. If proof of the deception could be prooved you would almost definitely loose in court and be liable for a pile of compensation not to mention the embarrassment.

yep absolutely cannot do this one

2. You could say nothing which is also, in my opinion, morally unacceptable in this situation.

Mmm... thought about just not giving refrence , although landlord would then know something was up.but your right its not realy the thing to do

3. You could tell the truth and use the existing legal processes to evict. You could hold your head up high, proud in the knowledge that you did the right thing and feel satisfied that you didn't let these tenants drag you down to their level of behaviour.

looks like this is my only option really...even though i know it will delay the tenants leaving

4. Use the promise of a reference to extract the money outstanding from your tenants.

Tried that ...they replied with a

"we already told you we don't have it " like I'm supposed to say oh ok then

There is one more option, you are selective in what you tell them.

A few years ago we use to request ref's from previous landlords but never got the full story.

Now we ask:

1 When their tenancy started

2 What was the rent

3 Was is always paid on time

4 Are there any arrears

5 Did they look after the property

6 Were there any deposit deductions

7 Would to rent a property to them again

Any further information you wish to supply

Then get the previous landlord or agent to sign and print their name.

Hi Grampa :)

That's more or less what I ask, although asking if there were any deposit deductions is a new one and I shall include it from now on

I would probably think that is what the new landlord will ask too, and of course when I answer 3 and 4 they will no doubt not offer my tenants a tenancy

which I fully understand as I would not be happy with that either .

If the tenant hasnt yet vacated the the property they rented last you wont get the deposit deduction info. But if that is the case try to get a ref from the landlord before him also as you are likely to get a more accurate ref.

I think you would be supprised how many private landlords dont bother getting refs off previous landlords or agents.

"Tenant has fallen slightly behind with rent but suitable plan in place" ??!!

sorry Rodent, not sure what you mean ...

are you asking if have a plan in place ?:unsure:

God I hate tenants that play the system (S21, Sec-8, etc) they seem to think they can get away with this crap anywhere and all the time; good for you for telling the truth and not pushing your problem tenants on someone else, now;

don't rent to people on programs, I never have and never will - In Chicago and Illinois asl long as I keep under wonership of a certain number of renting units I can deny anyone occupancy for any reason, and the humna garbage I've seen trying to apply doesn't even make it past the front stairs.

evict and make these scum homeless

Archived