Unessesary call out charge

Cattlewash8

Hi guys - your opinions would be welcome on this one...

My tenants informed me the dishwasher wasnt working, I asked them to go through the usual maintenance points in the instructions which they said they did but it still wasn't working. I booked in a Bosch service guy costing £100 plus VAT call out charge. He came about 10 days later, switched it on and it worked straight away! The tenants were very sheepish.. The maintenance bloke checked it over and said there were a couple of washers and pipe or something that it would be worth changing as it was 10 years old (whether he was making a job for himself, I don't know).

The total bill was just shy of £170 with the parts and labour.

So.... would it be fair to ask the tenants for a contribution to the call out charge? how much? should I just put it down to experience?

They are good tenants who have just agreed to renew for another year so I don't want to upset the applecart but I am a bit miffed about paying out £170 really unecessarily.

Thanks....

Depends what is on the invoice. If the invoice states unessasary call out and no fault found collect full amount from tenant.

On your next tenant contract renewal add this to it.

To maintain all equipment including but without exception, Freezer, cooker, dishwasher, washing machine, Fridge at the tenants expense.

You can choose when to enforce, or not as you see fit.

I agree that if it was a totally unnecessary call out because the tenants had failed to operate the equipment correctly then its their responsibility to pay the costs.

Tenants are not entitled to any special treatment over & above that which an owner occupier could expect in the same situation. In that situation the owner occupier would have had to pay the call out fee.

Howevere I wouldn't necessarily agree with Grampa's suggestion......

On your next tenant contract renewal add this to it.

To maintain all equipment including but without exception, Freezer, cooker, dishwasher, washing machine, Fridge at the tenants expense.

You can choose when to enforce, or not as you see fit.

There has been considerable discussion on this point on another forum. I am of the opinion that if working equipment is provided by the landlord at the start of the tenancy and identified on the inventory, then, irrespective of contract clauses the landlord is responsible for its subsequent repair &/or replacement. The supply of the equipment in working condition forms part of the contract and should therefore be maintained by the landlord. Adding a clause will just be regarded as an unfair term.

Trying to transfer responsibility for repairs to the tenant is fraught with danger....If the equipment is beyond economic repair the landlord is responsible for replacement anyway. All a tenant needs to do is ensure the repair man says its not worth repairing.

About 4 years ago I came across a similar clause that was approved by trading standards. I will have to try and find it again.

Although i have the clause in all my contracts we very rarely enforce but do if we get a similar situation to the OP, it just makes things easier.

My tenants informed me the dishwasher wasnt working, I asked them to go through the usual maintenance points in the instructions which they said they did but it still wasn't working.

Tricky one this but it has to be said that in spite of you asking them to check with the instruction book plus the fact they were experienced users of the dishwasher they failed to switch it on! Their liability.....probably imo. How do you solve it? Hard to say really as they will not want to pay up if pressed for payment.

A point worth mentioning is never to call out the main national company white goods repair Man as their charges are quite extortionate. A local repair Man would have charged you a lot less for switching the machine back on with a press of a button.

My Son often comes across cases like this with central heating & boiler problems and he often just treats it as a customer goodwill trip or £20 max. for time & trouble and fuel/effort costs of getting there.

Mel.

£100 call out seems excessive anyway. I would get to know a local plumber who is reliable and use him instead next time. You could buy a new dishwasher for a little more than £170 with at least 12 month guarantee.

I would take the long view with this one. If you are supplying white goods then you must be letting in an upmarket area so bite the bullet and accept the loss of the £170 as they are good tenants. I would write and say that next time you expect them to pay the call out charge and hope they just get on with it.

Mortitia

'Usual maintenance points' should have included - "check first it is switched on!". I have fallen for this one myself more than once.

If you didn't (or forgot to) ask tenants to check this, then you should be prepared to accept the charge.

I don't agree with adding clauses to contract, it's a waste of time and paper. We all make mistakes.

As suggested, call or write to tenant, (admitted 'sheepish'), pointing out the call-out cost and suggest they might like to share it.

Thanks all for taking the time to reply.

The invoice didn't state unnecessary call out as I suspect the engineer was making a job of it, although it did say the DW passed all its checks but can't rely on that to ask them to pay.

Im going to insert the clause to my Agreement to cover me should this happen again and make the tenants think twice about requesting an engineer but won't necessary use it as I do feel this type of maintenance responsibility is mine as Landlord. I will ensure I or my agent are there if an engineer needs to attend ( to make sure the tenant doesn't get him to say its beyond economic repair.)

Ive written to them to ask for a contribution to the call out charge. Given the "sheepishness" I think they will and if not I will put it down to experience this time.

Oh and yes - Im going to find a cheaper local engineer!

Thanks again :0)

And thats what the clause is for just in case you get a situation like the above. I am not suggesting to enforce it every time an applicance needs work otherwise you may find the tenants try to repair theirselves which is never good..

Using a local repair person is always my first option,and trying to attend when they call is a good one too (although my properties are a fair way from me so sometimes not possible)

If you attend as well you minimise the risk of the " Landlord not present , he'll pay anyway so lets add a bit more to the job" attitude.

Would be good if this forum had a little section where true recommendations could be posted .

Hi Richlist

What i mean by that is I would recommend someone because I was happy with their work /price because I have used them myself.

(I know thats the normal way a recommendation is given )

Rather than just putting forward a name as a recommendation for someone because they are your sisters hubby, or father in laws best friend .etc :rolleyes:

Does that make more sense

• 2 weeks later...

Just to say, I wrote to my tenants saying how disappointed I was about the high bill and they (albeit slightly reluctantly) offered £50 towards it which I accepted.

Cheers all.

Thanks for the update...always good to see how things get settled

Archived