Problem with arrears of Management fees

weenie

Hi all,

Have just bought a flat, purchase completed a few weeks ago.

To enter the building, you need a security key fob, of which only one was given to me. I contacted the management company (RMG) and sent them a cheque for a copy key fob.

RMG told me I couldn't have a copy of the key fob as I'm not registered as the owner of the property, despite their receiving the relevant transfer paperwork from my solicitor, because the management services account is in arrears, ie previous owner had not paid to date.

Apparently, they are 'unable' to transfer the account into my name as they would have to transfer the arrears to me...yeah, I know ....but that's what they said!

My solicitor was not aware that the account was in arrears, hence we didn't include any contingency in the settlement figure. She is onto the vendor's solicitor but not getting any joy.

RMG were unable to advise what would happen if the arrears was never settled - I asked them who would be paying next year's fees then since it would still be in the previous owner's name - of course, they didn't know the answer...

Not sure where I stand here, I don't want to have to pay off someone else's debt (sounds like it's about 5-6 months' worth of arrears) - but maybe I have to swallow it in the end? :(

Anyone else have this problem before and if so, how was it resolved (if it was)?

Maybe they think I'll relent cos I've asked for copies of the key fob, ie because of this, it's in MY interest to have the account in my name and in THEIR interests the arrears is paid..by someone.

Any help much appreciated, thank you.

Right..... been there and done this!

You have no liability for the other person's debt on property transfer.

It is the the management's company responsibility to chase the debt owed to them.....not you.

I'm sure your Sol. will be telling you the same.

Having said that your Sol. should have checked with management company regarding any outstanding arrears and debt.

Mel.

You might ALSO like to confirm with your solicitor that the Ground Rent payments are up to date as the rules concerning them are different to service charges as I believe any outstanding fees go with the property not the previous owner.

You might ALSO like to confirm with your solicitor that the Ground Rent payments are up to date as the rules concerning them are different to service charges as I believe any outstanding fees go with the property not the previous owner.

Thanks Richlist, I shall check.

Archived