Letting agent or local paper

LeeS

Hello

I have a two up two down that has been recently refurbished . If I say so myself it looks quite reasonable.I had a letting agent come round who suggested £475pcm .No calls came in let alone a viewing so I did my own research and found a couple of local properties that are on at £370 so I have had my property put in line with these.This all occured in February and still no viewings have happened. To be honest I am getting a little worried that I have the only property in the UK that is unlettable . I am considering putting an advert in the local free newspaper to see if this drums up some interest.

I get the feeling the letting agent is leaving my property to collect dust in a corner. Is this a normal occurance ? and does anybody else use local papers over agents?

Thanks

Hi LeeS,

Tour local agent doesn't seem very effective! Firstly, he overvalues your property by 25% (compared to other properties available to let in the area) and then he doesn't manage to let the property in what I can only describe as a very very bouyant rental market.

So why won't your property rent out? Is it over priced? (you have confirmed it isn't). Is it poorly presented? (if so - spend a few pounds on paint a carpet). Or is it poorly marketed (this sounds like the reason).

What would I do? I would get a different, more established, more experienced letting agent AND I would also put an advert in my local evening paper. Many tenants use the evening paper to find a property (thereby avoiding the cost of using a letting agent).

If you are new to letting .... you might be better off using a letting agent to "find you a tenant". You pay them a one-off fee (check the contract to make sure it is a one off fee), they do all the paperwork, they do all the tenant referencing etc etc ... but once the tenant has moved in and the first month's rent has been paid etc .... they hand the day to day management of the tenancy over to you (just as it would be had you put the advert in the paper yourself).

Hope that helps

Mark

Tour your area and see who has the most boards saying 'let' and contact them to let yours.

Also try advertising in local newsagents windows ( I find this very successful) but be prepared to credit check and reference any applicants you find.

Don't be tempted to accept the first tenant that comes along unless they feel right for you.

Good luck with that,

Mortitia

There is no reason you cant put your property on with more than one agent. Doing that can make them put more effort in finding you a tenant if they think they will lose the property to a competitor

I also use a board in the window.like the estate agents ones and simply says

to let

by landlord

my number

works really well.

Along with newspaper advertising.card in local shops.cards in local businesses.internet sites like gumtree. Current Tenants may have recommendations.

Greetings Julles,

I've haven't tried that one but probably will next time

Only downside I see is taking calls from those that I can try to exclude in a local paper ad, eg no DSS, over 25's..... I don't see these types reading the window ad well enough, worth a try though

True. ..I do get lots of calls asking price and for more info and from benefits tenants.and i can always turn the ones i don't want away.

but it has also worked to my advantage where i get many calls and in my opinion it can be a numbers game.

Good to speak again Cor.:-)

Archived