Angela Rayner.....Tax Affairs

Richlist

For those of you like me who pay/ have paid enormous amounts of Council Tax and even larger amounts of CGT, the police investigation into the tax affairs (& other matters) of the shadow deputy prime minister, should, I hope, have got your attention. I hate to see people getting away with paying less than they should. She is, of course, innocent until proven guilty but, I'm not holding out much confidence in her ability to keep her job beyond the end of the month.

Angie has a lot of explaining to do and her attempts so far have been dismal but not unsurprising really. It is now up to the HMRC to carry out an depth investigation and report those findings if it is discovered that she avoided paying CGT. I don't fancy her chances though when evidence from neighbours are stating that she was not living there but her Brother was and even her Bestie friend says she never lived there during the period in question.

10 hours ago, Richlist said:

For those of you like me who pay/ have paid enormous amounts of Council Tax and even larger amounts of CGT, the police investigation into the tax affairs (& other matters) of the shadow deputy prime minister, should, I hope, have got your attention. I hate to see people getting away with paying less than they should. She is, of course, innocent until proven guilty but, I'm not holding out much confidence in her ability to keep her job beyond the end of the month.

Agree, I have always thought that we as tax payers should be able to choose which services we would like our tax to be spent on, nhs yes, pot holes yes, support for elderly yes, funding the arts no, these are but a few, if you choose to pay tax to fund the arts then i don't have a problem with that. 

Looks like Rayner made a choice not to pay

Being so self righteous is why she has done wrong. 

But as far as I am aware the only part of this that could feasibly be a police matter is not declaring her electoral address correctly. And really, does that deserve time and effort by a police force that only prioritises and turns up to an event when the blood is flowing?

Otherwise the financial affairs are beyond the 6 year limit. So records are beyond the HMRC capability to interrogate. The 'advice' will surely be, "you got away with it, it's too late for HMRC to do anything". 

The only change to that is if fraud is cited, but that's v difficult to prove, as it's an intent. Naivety is the obvious defence.

She has been naughty, but I can't imagine the Ashton voters will give a toss (if she still has the whip come election time). They're too busy sourcing drugs (to buy or sell) and shooting each other for fun. As it 'appens I have a property there, and it's still better than Prestatyn.

22 hours ago, Carryon Regardless said:

Otherwise the financial affairs are beyond the 6 year limit. So records are beyond the HMRC capability to interrogate. The 'advice' will surely be, "you got away with it, it's too late for HMRC to do anything". 

Not strictly true COR. If there is evidence of tax avoidance then HMRC can go back as many years as they deem fit to go back. It's in their small print. But normally it's 7 years.

22 hours ago, Carryon Regardless said:

On 4/19/2024 at 4:27 PM, Carryon Regardless said:

But as far as I am aware the only part of this that could feasibly be a police matter is not declaring her electoral address correctly. And really, does that deserve time and effort by a police force that only prioritises and turns up to an event when the blood is flowing?

The only change to that is if fraud is cited, but that's v difficult to prove, as it's an intent. Naivety is the obvious defence.

She has been naughty, but I can't imagine the Ashton voters will give a toss (if she still has the whip come election time). They're too busy sourcing drugs (to buy or sell) and shooting each other for fun. As it 'appens I have a property there, and it's still better than Prestatyn.

I think HMRC can go back 20 years if necessary