Engineer went in the wrong date

kesm

Hi all,

I booked an engineer for next week but the engineer got confused and went today.

The tenant was there and let the engineer in.

The tenant then emailed me saying he never gave me permission to arrange for the engineer to attend today and that he legally needs 24 hour notice for anyone to enter the property.

Thoughts? 

How do I respond to that? 

Am i in the wrong? 

8 minutes ago, Carryon Regardless said:

Serve notice, the pillock spends his time looking for issues.

Most would be grateful for the faster repair.

Oh yes I agree. But am I in the wrong here? Legally? 

I'm struggling to understand........????

The guy turned up on the wrong day but the tenant let him in anyway......so the repair is done.

If the tenant didn't want him to enter the property they would have sent him away.......but they didnt.

Presumably the guy apologised for turning up on the wrong day.....for most people that would have been enough. 

Are you in the wrong ? ..... no, your repair guy got it wrong, not you.

If the tenant had a issue with the day he should have refused entry. As he let him in he has agreed.

If the tenant has googled the 24hr notice period he was more than capable to have been aware he could have refused entry. Tell him to take it up with the contractor.

We are responsible for those we engage on our behalf.

Same way, if a tenant engages some one (that may screw things up) then they are responsible for any outcome.

But the job is done here, there are no demonstrable losses, there is no more to be said it's done with. As said the tenant could have refused access, he is in possession of the property.

So I stick with my earlier assertion. And you will either continue to be managing a person continually looking for problems, or be free of him.

I wanna tell you a story. I visited a tenant w/o prior notice, he's always been a nuisance, but in that location it isn't unusual. I was invited in, so his choice. As I sat he informed me that he had the right to have a dog, and I needed to give good reason why he shouldn't. He had already posted the request by registered mail.

Now this was a time when Wales was evolving to 6 month notice (coming all locations near all of us soon). So I went with the S21 prepared, as it was my last opportunity to serve it. But my using it can be decided on later.

I stopped his speech and presented the S21. He opened it, "what's this, why?" "Cos' I don't want you to have a flippin' dog." the tenant can't wipe himself clean, so he shouldn't be responsible for an animal.

"I don't want a dog, forget it." The next day I refused to sign for said letter.

I'll be honest I did get pleasure from that little episode.