House insurance

kanrent

My rental properties are all due in March as well. ( Mistake to renew ALL at the same time or a wise move? 😀   ) I am expecting a large increase in premiums as I have just had my own property insurance renewed and the the premium has jumped by £80 a year.  I could not find any other insurance company that was cheaper than my quote renewal.

Why are premiums increasing sharply for home insurance ? What's the excuse this time ?

We know car insurance is increasing for some cars.....and we know why but I can t work out why it's increasing sharply for property.

2 hours ago, Richlist said:

Why are premiums increasing sharply for home insurance ? What's the excuse this time ?

We know car insurance is increasing for some cars.....and we know why but I can t work out why it's increasing sharply for property.

Greed

Well, as this topic is raised what should come through the letterbox Saturday morning were my renewal quotes for 2 of my rentals. Yes, quite disgraceful rises in premiums two of which were 1. An annual increase of the premium to pay £188.69p and 2. £139.99. Both of these policies were with SAGA who I have been with for about 4 years because their quotes were always very competitive and excellent cover but clearly no longer the case.  So, I went straight onto the internet to obtain quotes and it looks like I am back with Direct Line Landlord's Insurance again having left them 4 years ago! I have actually managed to save £300 on the two properties by moving to them to DL in March. Not an inconsiderable sum of money saved I would say.

I do have other insurance policies which I shall be scrutinising very carefully when they are due for renewal.

Usual story you get a good deal the first or second year and then the large rise.  

I thought had a good relationship with my local independent  broker as I put a lot of work his way and got a half decent deal. Not any more it as I can get a huge saving by just going on the comparison sites.  

I found with building insurance if you add a small amount of contents cover you get public liability cover as well. 

1 hour ago, kanrent said:

Any opinions on landlord legal insurance

Yes they make you jump through a lot of hoops to make a claim. In my experience with Rent4Sure you had to report any late payment over a certain amount of days and I would guess if you missed the deadline they would throw out the claim and while they dealt with the eviction you had to compile and submit to them a new rent statement of payments arrears and any correspondence with the tenant every month until vacant possession.  

So yes it can be useful but if you are proactive with issues and choose the right tenants I wouldn't bother.  

I was going to raise the topic of whether it was worth having Landlord legal cover including rent guarantee etc. etc.

I did have it on one of my policies for one property for 5 years but I have now taken it out of the equation as the cost of Rent Guarantee Insurance etc. has tripled in cost to be added to the policy price. Only time will tell whether this was the right thing to have done.