Dirty tenant and mice

kesm

Hi all,

I have a bit of a dirty and messy family living in my rental house. I have 3 issues

1- The kitchen was new when they moved in 7 years ago. Now it looks like this and also they are saying that the hinges are lose etc. Basically they are pushing for a new kitchen. Is this normal wear and tear ?

2- They have said that they had mice and I stressed how they should keep everything clean. They do not. When I went to visit there were crumbs and general dirt on the floor, in between appliances, in front of the skirting boards etc. How can I fix this ? I put mice traps, closed any gaps (could not really seal all the tiny holes in the skirting boards), but they are saying I should be closing gaps that are usual house gaps. i.e. they want me to close the gap between the oven and the cupboards or the washing machine and the fridge. What am I supposed to do?

3- They are saying that the oven gets hot and the cupboards near it get warm. Again the oven is dirty inside and I wonder if that causes the surrounding cupboards to get warm as they say. They also said that they cannot see the temperature in the oven because the “sticker” that shows the temperature has rubbed off. Should they not have told me about this when they first saw this happening?

Thanks all

peeling kitchen.JPG

peeling kitchen2.JPG

4 hours ago, kesm said:

Hi all,

I have a bit of a dirty and messy family living in my rental house. I have 3 issues

1- The kitchen was new when they moved in 7 years ago. Now it looks like this and also they are saying that the hinges are lose etc. Basically they are pushing for a new kitchen. Is this normal wear and tear ?

2- They have said that they had mice and I stressed how they should keep everything clean. They do not. When I went to visit there were crumbs and general dirt on the floor, in between appliances, in front of the skirting boards etc. How can I fix this ? I put mice traps, closed any gaps (could not really seal all the tiny holes in the skirting boards), but they are saying I should be closing gaps that are usual house gaps. i.e. they want me to close the gap between the oven and the cupboards or the washing machine and the fridge. What am I supposed to do?

3- They are saying that the oven gets hot and the cupboards near it get warm. Again the oven is dirty inside and I wonder if that causes the surrounding cupboards to get warm as they say. They also said that they cannot see the temperature in the oven because the “sticker” that shows the temperature has rubbed off. Should they not have told me about this when they first saw this happening?

Thanks all

peeling kitchen.JPG

peeling kitchen2.JPG

Could have fitted heat deflector above the oven, only a thought

1. Loose hinges are a tenants responsibility. You are not expected to visit to tighten screws for them.

2. Well, what is normal ? A kitchen should probably last more than 7 years. Personally I wouldn't be fitting a new kitchen until the tenants have gone.

3. You can't possibly control vermin  if they leave food and don't clean up.

4. Yes they should have told you about the oven temperature markings......what can you possibly do now other than replace the oven.

Personally I'd leave the oven for now and replace the tenants. Try to be more selective when choosing tenants.

Hi Kesme........ I have fitted many built in ovens over the past years so I have some experience on this matter.

1.  Looking at you oven as fitted I would say it is a "cheapy" built-in oven probably what is known as a static heat electric element oven rather than a fan oven which is far better and usually far better build quality. These static ovens run at very high temperatures as well. At the bottom of the oven unit there should be an 8 inch wide air grill ( eBay or B&Q for these ) cut into the plinth or kick board to aid airflow around the oven itself. 

The reason why the temperature indicators have disappeared is because of cleaning the control knob areas with any mild or even non mild abrasive will just wear them away very quickly.

2.  There should be an air gap between the top of the oven and the bottom of the oven unit normally around 10mm to prevent heat from the oven coming into contact with the unit. You should have some form of heat deflector as well to the top of the oven. Your kitchen units are "foiled wrapped" over wood units. The foil will do exactly what you have shown in your picture when subjected to high temperatures.......peel away.  You could remove this damaged foil and just paint it in the colour to match. Regarding the door hinges this is usually an easy repair job for any competent handy-man. In worse cases hinge repair kits are available on eBay.

You do not need to replace the kitchen for your tenant unless it is beyond economical repair.

3.  Mice. Set traps to catch as many as you can.  Every property can be subject to mice........even my own home. I regularly catch mice in set traps with Mrs. Mel's lemon drizzle cake, mice love it as much as I do.

4. Inform your tenant that there has to be a major change by them on how they keep the property clean and give then a month to change their ways and carry out a routine property inspection. If there is no change then you could take the ultimate action of giving them notice but if they are paying rent on time and giving you no major hassles then it is not in your interest to do this. Remember, you are control of what is done or not done and not your tenant, be firm but fair and If they are unhappy then they can move on to somewhere else.

Your tenancy agreement should have a clause relating to vermin. Basically unless there is a fault with the building such as holes in brickwork or roofing where the vermin are getting in it is the tenants responsibility to resolve. 

The level of cleanliness varies greatly between tenants and as long as it (ie: oven) is left in the same condition as when they moved in when they vacate its not really a issue. However, if their action/lifestyle is detrimental to the property and causing damage that is something that needs addressing now.

I have seen really dirty tenants leave properties sparkling clean because they get a cleaning company in just before they move out. 

A few years ago one of my tenants complained that she had mice or rats in the property. I trotted off to my local store and bought a couple of traps designed to catch the blighters. I called round to the property to fit them. The tenant came to the door and as she was explaining to me that she hadn't seen them for the last week and as far as she was concerned they had departed the property, I glanced over her shoulder where a fat rat was sitting on her carpet starring back at me. I don't know how I kept a straight face. Sometimes landlording can bring its own fun and enjoyment when you least expect it !