gove's rental reforms

kanrent

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2023/oct/23/ministers-accused-of-betraying-renters-in-england-with-delay-to-no-fault-evictions-ban

Common sense really,

even if the true reasons for deferral are to save a revolt from the revolting.

11 hours ago, Carryon Regardless said:

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2023/oct/23/ministers-accused-of-betraying-renters-in-england-with-delay-to-no-fault-evictions-ban

Common sense really,

even if the true reasons for deferral are to save a revolt from the revolting.

Once this Conservative Government picked the meat off the bones on what they were proposing they realised that the Government Bill for renters was a flawed Bill and now they are back-peddling on it and quite right too.

Sadly with the prospect of a Labour government coming to power next year I have no doubt that they will forge ahead and adopt this bill to protect rental tenants, good ones and bad ones. I cannot see the surge of private landlords exiting the rental market diminishing any time soon and probably will increase over the next 6 months.

I find it ironic that one of the main reasons that we have a property shortage & higher rents in this country is because the Conservatives sold off the council housing stock. This gap in the market has been filled over the past 30 years by the private rental sector and the Conservatives now want to make it as difficult as possible for landlords.

History will not be kind to politicians on this matter.

I would suggest that Thatchers Right To Buy is only a part of the cause.

If councils had used the money to replace the houses sold, the shortage of housing wouldn't be so acute true. But those houses were sold at lower values, so the revenues wouldn't have been enough anyway. There would have needed to be a top up.

But our population is continually increasing. That for me is the root cause of most of the worlds problems.

But wherever I go these days I witness a house building epidemic. Do people have so much money that these houses can be afforded at today's rates? I'm not aware of that. So will that supply have a downward push on prices? Not in London of course, as I believe there is still high demand there, and an economy that can sustain the prices.