gove's rental reforms

kanrent

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2023/oct/23/ministers-accused-of-betraying-renters-in-england-with-delay-to-no-fault-evictions-ban

Common sense really,

even if the true reasons for deferral are to save a revolt from the revolting.

11 hours ago, Carryon Regardless said:

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2023/oct/23/ministers-accused-of-betraying-renters-in-england-with-delay-to-no-fault-evictions-ban

Common sense really,

even if the true reasons for deferral are to save a revolt from the revolting.

Once this Conservative Government picked the meat off the bones on what they were proposing they realised that the Government Bill for renters was a flawed Bill and now they are back-peddling on it and quite right too.

Sadly with the prospect of a Labour government coming to power next year I have no doubt that they will forge ahead and adopt this bill to protect rental tenants, good ones and bad ones. I cannot see the surge of private landlords exiting the rental market diminishing any time soon and probably will increase over the next 6 months.

I find it ironic that one of the main reasons that we have a property shortage & higher rents in this country is because the Conservatives sold off the council housing stock. This gap in the market has been filled over the past 30 years by the private rental sector and the Conservatives now want to make it as difficult as possible for landlords.

History will not be kind to politicians on this matter.

I would suggest that Thatchers Right To Buy is only a part of the cause.

If councils had used the money to replace the houses sold, the shortage of housing wouldn't be so acute true. But those houses were sold at lower values, so the revenues wouldn't have been enough anyway. There would have needed to be a top up.

But our population is continually increasing. That for me is the root cause of most of the worlds problems.

But wherever I go these days I witness a house building epidemic. Do people have so much money that these houses can be afforded at today's rates? I'm not aware of that. So will that supply have a downward push on prices? Not in London of course, as I believe there is still high demand there, and an economy that can sustain the prices.

• 6 months later...

.........and it's goodbye to Michael Gove the housing minister. He won't be missed certainly by the vast majority of private landlords including me. Fortunately his proposals never reached the statute book and were kicked into the long grass of debate probably because he and his colleagues realised this new proposed tenancy law was going to badly affect them as many MP's are also private landlords.

The one thing that always grips me is that the media never put across the one simple fact of life and that is when a person decides to rent a property then it is a contract between landlord and tenant and the landlord has every right to claim their property back under current statute law conditions.  If a tenant doesn't like that then don't rent a property! Having said that I have a tenant who has been renting from me for 20 years and is very happy with the arrangement and my brother in law has been renting in the London area for 50 years from a private landlord so in the vast majority of cases the landlord/tenant contract arrangement works well.

We wait now for the Labour Party to twist the knife into the back of the private landlord with their new proposed tenancy contract laws and the exodus of the private landlord will gather pace once again and I have no doubt about that.

Don't be so quick to assume a Labour majority on July 4th.

The Tories will regain some support. The Lib Dems & Reform Parties will also take a heap of the votes.

People might generally be fed up with the Conservatives but it doesn't mean they want to vote Labour.

Labour may not get that majority they require to form a Government.......so they may need to form Coalition & that may stop them in their tracks !

It has been an interesting history lesson reading back over this thread. I has reminded me of my / our evolving thoughts on all this.

The last coalition was a designed embarrassment for the Lib Dems, well Nick Cleg specifically. While i appreciate Starmer isn't the same as Cameron, with the smart ass style of belittling, I would imagine that the Lib Dems would be v cautious of going into another, to prop up the winner.

Farage has stepped back. I believe that will leave Reform with a greatly reduced following. Besides, with him now going across to support Trump (is my assumption with him increasing his US activities) he will lose favour with many for that choice, me included.

It becomes increasingly difficult to even see a least worst party. Thank f' we don't have a Hitler in the wings, waiting to promise everything to the millions of lost souls out there. Europe, on the other hand, may see such rises in the popularity of extremists.

Farage has had 7 attempts at becoming an MP and failed every time. I don't blame him for not attempting again. Although he is not standing he is going to provide lots of help & assistance to Richard Tice and the Reform Party of which I believe Farage remains the Hon. President. I suspect they will do very well.