Ukrainian refugees

kanrent

Home Secretary

“We urge all private landlords to consider what accommodation they might have available to house those who want to come here. To assist with this, it is vital that the Government swiftly provides details as to how landlords can easily register properties that might be suitable for those who need homes.”  

This government has spent the last 12 years introducing new legislation to destroy the rental sector and now have the absolute audacity to ask for our help

I sympathise with the Ukrainian situation, although I think NATO is complicit.

Are the Gov't offering some sort of assistance to us to provide accommodation. Some of us rent unfurnished so w/o more than just a few bob our properties are unsuitable.

Then should this 'special operation' reach a conclusion I would expect and hope for refugees to return to their home. What are we to do with 'stuff' left behind. In Wales that has become commercial waste and must be disposed of by a registered contractor.

If the Gov't offer us some assistance I believe this would be for a short time, and then we would be on our own dealing with what ever has become the result.

How long would visas be valid for before we need to become customs officers making sure they have legal right to remain?

I feel this would be too complicated for many.

You also need to consider about informing your insurance company and lender because you will likely have restrictions on these type of lettings/lodgers and could find yourself not covered for insurance purposes or breaking the terms of your mortgage. 

7 hours ago, Carryon Regardless said:

I sympathise with the Ukrainian situation, although I think NATO is complicit.

Are the Gov't offering some sort of assistance to us to provide accommodation. Some of us rent unfurnished so w/o more than just a few bob our properties are unsuitable.

Then should this 'special operation' reach a conclusion I would expect and hope for refugees to return to their home. What are we to do with 'stuff' left behind. In Wales that has become commercial waste and must be disposed of by a registered contractor.

If the Gov't offer us some assistance I believe this would be for a short time, and then we would be on our own dealing with what ever has become the result.

How long would visas be valid for before we need to become customs officers making sure they have legal right to remain?

I feel this would be too complicated for many.

COR said:

"I sympathise with the Ukrainian situation, although I think NATO is complicit".

NATO is a defensive organisation and not an offensive one. Russia is wholly to blame for what is happening in the current Ukraine crisis. NATO military equipment (in large quantities) did not enter the Eastern NATO Countries of Europe until Russia invaded the Crimea in 2014.

I don't see how private landlords can really help the government out as most private landlords will already have tenants in place wont they?  No hotels available either as 30,000 rubber boat persons have taken them over including my hotel room I had booked for May on the South Coast which has been cancelled 3 weeks ago.

11 hours ago, kanrent said:

Home Secretary

“We urge all private landlords to consider what accommodation they might have available to house those who want to come here. To assist with this, it is vital that the Government swiftly provides details as to how landlords can easily register properties that might be suitable for those who need homes.”  

This government has spent the last 12 years introducing new legislation to destroy the rental sector and now have the absolute audacity to ask for our help

I had a chuckle over this post.

To balance the last sentence, I guess we could say that half the population of the UK spend their lives avoiding paying taxes, whenever they can, but as soon as there's trouble and they have time off work during a pandemic or are hit with big energy bills they have the audacity to ask the Gov' for help.😕😕

On 3/5/2022 at 8:44 AM, kanrent said:

Home Secretary

I think the UK should take refugees, certainly more than the 300 reportedly taken so far. But what always annoys me are all those other countries around the world who don't do anything to offer help or assitance. It's not only a European problem. 144 countries condemned the Russian invasion only 5 did not object. I doubt all 144 are offering help & assistance. Why not? Why all the pressure on the UK ?

Yesterday we were told there was a visa application centre in Calais for Ukrainian refugees.....today we learn it doesn't exist.

Today we were told there is a visa application centre for Ukrainians in Lille.......guess what, it doesn't exist and the Gov have no plans to open one.

I still wouldn't vote for a Labour Gov' though.

45 minutes ago, Richlist said:

Yesterday we were told there was a visa application centre in Calais for Ukrainian refugees.....today we learn it doesn't exist.

Today we were told there is a visa application centre for Ukrainians in Lille.......guess what, it doesn't exist and the Gov have no plans to open one.

I still wouldn't vote for a Labour Gov' though.

I decided a long time ago not to vote for any of them. 

Nearly all are unqualified to do the job they are doing

History and geography Seems to be their main qualification, must be an alternative but not sure what

1 minute ago, kanrent said:

I decided a long time ago not to vote for any of them. 

Nearly all are unqualified to do the job they are doing

History and geography Seems to be their main qualification, must be an alternative but not sure what

Would you employ a bricklayer to service your gas boiler? I don't think so. 

On 3/8/2022 at 4:03 PM, kanrent said:

I thought they were mainly failed lawyers. Confirmed, to my mind, by the fact that they are taught that truth isn't important to justice / life.

..........and to add my comment to this article.   Why are Ukrainian refugees coming to the UK to have residential accommodation available to them whereby the property owner offering room service to them can claim £350pcm. (tax free?) government help but this scheme was not available to Afghan, Iraq or Hong Kong refugee's or any other refugee entering the UK.

That tells a tale to me that there is no hotel or redundant buildings available now to house the Worlds refugee problem in the UK. Oh well.

I read it somewhat differently. In the past other ways of housing refugees has been tried but it's vastly expensive. It's usually been in hotels at around £200 a night. That comes with all the problems of finding them more permanent accomodation.

I'd like to think we, the Country, have learned from that experience, taken on board what doesn't work well and taken a different approach. The Offer of £350pcm is cheaper for the taxpayer, gives the Ukrainians a comfortable home environment, & gets the approval of the public. I'd say Gove deserves at least a pat on the back for coming up with a very creative lower cost alternative.

Let's also not lose sight of the fact that virtually every Ukrainian that comes here will want to return to their country as soon as possible......that's why they have been granted permission to stay for just 3 years initially, in the hope return to Ukraine may then be an option.

Now what about the USA, Africa, India, Far East, Middle East, Australia etc and all stops in between . We dont hear much about what they are offering.

.......and whilst we are at it.......I don't recall Ukraine offering any help to Afgan, Syrian or Iraqi refugees when help was needed.

• 1 year later...

When I read stories like this I sometimes hope that we are sometimes not in possession of all of the facts behind what this Council has actually done. If it is true then words fail me but I am aware through my Council contacts that many Councils have not got any spare accommodation available to house both legal and illegal asylum seekers / economic migrants so this private house purchase and private renting is going to happen with regular frequency. 

I am just waiting for October when the Government announce that they have bought out Butlins or Pontins holiday camps to ease the housing burden.   Don't laugh, It's quite possible.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-12412393/Council-buys-homes-Afghan-Ukrainian-refugees-newbuild-estate.html