Smoke alarms

kanrent

If they're mains, or otherwise powered (there are 12 volt types off an alarm system) than a battery and functioning they're good.

Is there a date on the units? How has the agent arrived at the conclusion?

The battery powered alarms do usually have a 10 year shelf life.

* Presumably you could replace any battery back up ?

* As they are hard wired, don't they get checked during the electrical safety certification ?

* You could call your local fire depot for advice.

* You could ask the agent to provide the rules that say they are out of date after 10 years. 

* You could get them checked to make sure they are functioning.

* Or you could just ignore them and carry on as normal.

News to me I have to say.  As long as they are functioning and the battery back up is tested then that should be it.

Hard wired alarms are part of the 5 year Electrical certification.

As mentioned where did this LA get the information from and would he like to share it with us all perhaps.

My understanding with regard to non wired, battery operated smoke alarms is that they usually carry a 10 year shelf life because of the sensor built into the alarm. In fact, I've bought quite a few battery operated one's over the years all of which have had a 10 year limit.

There is no reason to suppose that the sensor in a hard wired smoke alarm is any different and consequenty it would also carry a 10 year maximum use.

Replacing the battery or having an electrical test is, I suggest, unlikely to identify wether the sensor is still operating correctly.

When I worked offshore we tested smoke and gas alarms regularly, as part of a maintenance schedule. There was never any suggestion of periodic replacement. They were replaced if they failed of course.

I've 2 types of smoke alarm in front of me. 1st type is the 'Pifco' simple 9volt battery model. 2nd type is the 'one' 240volt powered interconnectable with the 9volt battery back up.

Neither have any suggestion of periodic replacement. And if you think about it they would be a bugger to shift off the shelves if they had been there a short while.

My view, press it if it alarms it's good. If not it needs a new battery (back up type preferably) if still no alarm under test then replace the unit.

Aren't we now legislated to install external powered OR 10 year battery alarms these days?

Mel, I'll look again but when I did the EICR's I don't recall any mention of the smoke alarms being included. But aren't gas inspections supposed to note their presence?

While I seem to remember some discussion at a gas inspection I don'y see anything relevant on the certificate.

Similarly on the EICR I've scanned the many, many tick boxes and see nothing there either.

Another one I feel I recall but may be confused about is our requirement to prove operation of smoke alarms at the start of a tenancy. I can't recall why I seem to have this opinion but I included it in my tenancy pack front sheet for tenants to sign as witnessed.

This last thought had me thinking that once we have demonstrated the smoke alarm/s (on each level) tenants then effectively become responsible for the ongoing testing. While we are legislated to cause annual gas inspections and 5 yearly EICR's, that (unless I'm corrected) don't inspect these alarms, how often would we be expected to test them ourselves?

Surely pushing the test button on a smoke alarm just identifies wether it makes a noise or not. I don't see how it can provide confirmation that the smoke sensor is functional.

An analogy might be your car......you turn on the ignition and all the warning lights light up. That's just telling you that the bulb is working not wether the sensors are doing their job.

If you need a professional/ expert answer why not call your local fire department. Didn't they used to fit smoke alarms for people ? They should be able to help.

15 minutes ago, Richlist said:

Surely pushing the test button on a smoke alarm just identifies wether it makes a noise or not. I don't see how it can provide confirmation that the smoke sensor is functional.

An analogy might be your car......you turn on the ignition and all the warning lights light up. That's just telling you that the bulb is working not wether the sensors are doing their job.

If you need a professional/ expert answer why not call your local fire department. Didn't they used to fit smoke alarms for people ? They should be able to help.

They still do as far as I'm aware. The buggers arrive at a property and act with authority. My tenants let 'em in and they fit some crappy battery powered sensor within a foot of my better units. And we pay for that crap in our taxes. they're supposed to put fires out not carry out property works.

A fire brigade recommended Fire Angels on a course i did. What a nuisance they turned out to be.

Btw RL most dash warning indicators show fault if the pre start test l conducted sees an issue. Like an open cct on a brake wear sensor for instance. a closed loop.

It is true, as far as I'm aware, that the smoke detector button merely send a signal to the sounder, so it's a battery test and a sounder test. But if we are to assume that all smoke detector sensors are going to be faulty there would be a recognised periodic change out. And much more often in a smokers habitat, or after redecoration, or if they use a chip pan a lot.

The other choice is to carry out an actual smoke test periodically, that's better with an aerosol as I wouldn't trust my tenants with matches. But until legislation tells me to I 'aint gonna, there's enough crap to contend with.

A delivery of 36x 3m x 150mm wood lengths were dropped in Prestatyn yesterday. They totally ignored my request to liase so i could be there, as it 'appens I was in Brumingham and was told be a neighbour.

So off I go this morning to make sure they're secure in a garage and don't fly off or walk off today.

As you can imagine there are high winds, that and the hero drivers that can still pull silly stunts, make driving less than relaxing. Anyway I'm back now, before the forecast snow starts to close off the high roads round here.

-6 tonight so I'll need to put me 'at on when we go walkies.