Up rating EPC's

Grampa

Trying to get ahead of the game before any new requirements come in and get the EPC'S on my personal rentals up to at least a  C (69). I have a flat that with a rate of D 65 and therefore only needed 4 more points to get it up to a C (69). The original EPC which is 9 years old stated single glazed so as I've had the flat fully double glazed and a new boiler that should have smashed it well above a C 69.

Well here's a lesson in reading your documentation fully because the new EPC came in at a lower 61 even with the new boiler and DG and the reason was because the original EPC stated the property as first floor incorrectly and not second (top) floor which is flat roof. I guess even if the error was spotted when I purchased the flat the implications wouldn't have been so apparent as they are now. 

I am not happy but just means I will try to off load it a bit quicker.

Yes, picking up on RL's point what can you do to obtain the extra points to gain a C Class? 

(Sounds like the old O Level gradings)   😀

Energy saving light bulbs added perhaps? There must be someway around this problem surely.

Led lightbulbs would make a difference but in my experience only gain you 1 or 2 extra points and only reason I hadn't already changed them was because they were spot lights built into the ceiling and I thought the DG would have been enough.

I will have to look into that cap you mention Kanrent as I'm not familiar with it and that could be the "get out of jail free" card I need.

Other than over-boarding the walls and ceiling with insulating board £££££. or heat pumps which isnt practical its a tough one unless I missing something very obvious.

The EPC certificate itself normally indicates what can be done to improve the rating.....

Some low cost improvements (if you don't already have them) might be :-

* Dual rate electricity (economy 7).

* Wall thermostat/ timer controls.

* Thermostatic radiator valves.

* LED bulbs.

* Increased hot water tank insulation.

* Draught proofing doors and windows if needed.

Air sourced heat pumps, also known as  inverter air conditioners are not as expensive as you might think. We have one of these in our place in Spain. Incredibly efficient, very cheap to run but a couple of these for a small flat are likely to be around £2K and if you have already had a new gas boiler fitted seems like a crazy extra expense.

I've found the suggestions for improvements, that might include under floor insulation on concrete floors and wind turbines at the rear of a terraced house tom be dream land suggestions.

Grampa I recall you weren't keen on the style of the chap that carried out my EPC's, but here he might have useful suggestions on how to improve the rating. I can't remember are previous EPC's held on record anywhere, or like the EICR's are previous inspections binned never to be seen again?

My personal view is that with the ongoing onslaught to destroy our business feasibility some balance is needed.

Btw, I've returned from  a weeks skiing to find Wales are at my throat again, the Retard Assembly that is.At least I've been informed of the impending measures this time, unusual as it is for them to have any organisation.

3 hours ago, Richlist said:

* Dual rate electricity (economy 7).

* Wall thermostat/ timer controls.

* Thermostatic radiator valves.

* LED bulbs.

* Increased hot water tank insulation.

* Draught proofing doors and windows if needed.

* Dual rate electricity (economy 7). Only really suitable for storage heating and water heating and I already have GCH. However  I think if you have a dual meter you might still get the allowance (points) even if it isnt connected to anything. I must look into this and if so it makes a nonsense of the whole certificate thing.

* Wall thermostat/ timer controls. I cant remember if I have these or not, will have to check.(approx 1/2 points)

* Thermostatic radiator valves. Got these all ready

* LED bulbs. Can be done (approx 1/2 points)

* Increased hot water tank insulation. No Tank 

* Draught proofing doors and windows if needed. Apparently triple glazing makes a impact on scoring but I have recently fitted double glazing.

have also been told by an EPC assessor that they are not required to test appliances and if a gas boiler was just fitted on the wall but not connected it will be accounted for so does that mean if I just plonk a unconnected dual meter next to the normal meter will I will get the duel meter allowance??? (Not a serious consideration but is a thought)

I therefore assume that the main culprits are the ceiling & external walls. Your EPC should indicate what improvements might increase the property rating.

As there is probably nothing much that you could cost effectively do to increase the insulation on your flat roof (without lowering the ceiling height) that leaves the walls. Having just the external walls insulated might not be that costly with insulated plasterboard. It maybe that kitchen units, bathroom items & fitted furniture will be in the way so, leaving those in place and partly reboarding the walls which are accessible might do the job for a couple of £thousand. Once completed, with a few photographs showing work in progress, the EPC assessor will never know that some walls have not been done. Surely worth consideration ?