renovation compensation

Petra

Tenant said they would like the kitchen updated, & I agreed to do this. Renovation will include new kitchen doors, new LVT floor, new boiler, and painting the walls.  Work is anticipated to take 6 days and it is anticipate that there will be no hot water for 2 days. 

Tenant is requesting compensation for the inconvenience whilst the work is being completed.  Your views on this please.

Your tenant is not entitled to any compensation for no hot water if the boiler is being replaced. At most it would be a bunch of flowers if you were minded to do so but I certainly wouldn't. You cannot have a situation where the tenant is laying down unreasonable conditions on you, the landlord.

LVT = Luxury Vinyl  Tile.   😉

Why is it that tenants seem to think they are entitled to compensation because they pay rent instead of a mortgage ? 

It would be bad enough if the boiler had broken down and the tenant wanted compensation for the inconvenience BUT the work is actually being done at the tenants request.

I wouldn't be paying compensation. Ask them if they think you might be entitled to compensation by way of a rent increase to cover your costs for the renovation.

Ask them if they would prefer to surrender the tenancy prior to the works, and apply for the tenancy post works.

In truth I would rather see such T's gone.

• 2 years later...

It's fair to consider some compensation for the inconvenience during the kitchen update. Renovations can be a hassle, especially without hot water for a couple of days.In my own house renovation journey, I've stumbled upon some deals that made it all smoother. Just recently, I found free delivery on skirting boards at mdfskirtingworld.co.uk. It's these little finds that can make the whole process less of a headache.So, think about what's reasonable and fair to offer your tenant. It's a win-win when everyone's on the same page.

Yes I agree. It's always considerate & good manners to listen attentively to one's tenant when they have any kind of request.  Landlords are free to choose wether to meet that request in full or part, as they see fit. But listening to a request does not commit a landlord to deliver and most tenants would get short shrift from me. I don't understand why a tenant would feel a need for compensation.

I have just had an upgraded gas boiler installed yesterday on the coldest January day for 10 years, -6 degrees. My tenant had 6 weeks notice of this essential work to be carried out which, in the end, would provide them with enhanced heating and hot water and comfort and lower gas bills.   Their "compensation" was 3 electric heaters (on loan) for the day and a half of inconvenience, not that they ask for or expected any "compensation".

Yes good point Melboy. If I was making a good profit selling electric heaters to landlords I might have a more sympathetic view of the compensation culture practiced by some tenants. Providing temporary heaters to tenants (usually when there is a boiler breakdown) is absolutely the right thing to do.

On 1/19/2024 at 6:36 PM, bil8999 said:

Yes, i can remember years ago, swapped a gas boiler for a tenant, took them a couple of electric heater to keep warm, they then shortly afterwards presented me with the electric bill for the additional electric used, crazy.

We have had similar issue. So we said we would consider their request if they provided a clear break down of the cost and KW usage it would have cost them with the gas boiler working and the timescales it was used and a comparative breakdown of extra cost and KW usage in electric when using the electric heaters and the timescales of when it was used for the purpose of establishing the correct extra cost if any. Also would be required is a copy of their last utility bill with the usage and KW charges.

Strange but that was the last we heard of it. 

20 minutes ago, Grampa said:

We have had similar issue. So we said we would consider their request if they provided a clear break down of the cost and KW usage it would have cost them with the gas boiler working and the timescales it was used and a comparative breakdown of extra cost and KW usage in electric when using the electric heaters and the timescales of when it was used for the purpose of establishing the correct extra cost if any.

Strange but that was the last we heard of it. 

If they were using Octopus Energy & had a smart meter they could easily have produced quite detailed information on gas & electric usage from the Octopus web site. But its not a landlords or Agents job to provide advice on energy suppliers to tenants.

My Son told the tenants that the new uprated boiler would save them money on their gas energy bills which must also be factored into the "compensation" costs of having electric heaters for a day and a half.  😄

Seriously though they were very happy with the arrangements made to keep them warm on the UK's coldest day of the year so far.

• 2 weeks later...

It's important to maintain a positive relationship with your tenant, and offering compensation shows consideration for their comfort during the process. Communication remains key, so discussing the compensation terms openly with your tenant can help ensure everyone is on the same page. If you need any assistance with the renovations, feel free to reach out to professionals like starkbuilders.com.au for advice or support.

Due to the changed legislation in the UK many landlords feel consideration toward tenants is more than enough.

Factor in that a 2 month notice period is required in England for repossession, 6 months in Wales, followed by waits to get a court date, and then a period prior to being granted repossession, many might prefer tenants to be so unhappy that they relinquish their many rights to a tenancy.

If it turned out my tenants didn't love me any more I would nearly care a jot.