Remote EPC

"Due to Covid we are doing desktop EPC's.

As long as there are no changes to the property we will provide another 10 year certificate."

£36 is paid prior to the online record being changed.

Thoughts.

That seems entirely sensible. The initial visit has already done the hard work in establishing the energy performance of the property. If the owner states there have been no changes (and any changes are far more likely to be improvements rather than reductions in energy performance) and signs to confirm the situation, it makes perfect sense.

I'm not sure they apply sense to legislation.

I've tried to call an inspector that carried out an inspection yesterday, by a visit (evil covid spreader he must be by comparison). No joy. A "yeh I've heard of this and it's a no /yes" would be handy.

£36 isn't a scary gamble, but he doesn't get the 7 in Wales till I'm given more confidence.

4 minutes ago, Carryon Regardless said:

I'm trying to type and eat, and wipe beans off me knackers.

The company is EPC Surveys. 0800 158 3836

35 minutes ago, Carryon Regardless said:

The company is EPC Surveys. 0800 158 3836

I'm not so sure how legal this is and am going to dig deeper. Useful and labour saving if ok though.

Very much so Grampa. In truth unless there is a covid pass on this I don't see how w/o a vist.

They wanted payment from text info. I wanted an invoice emailing, that was with me in 5 minutes so paid.

https://find-energy-certificate.digital.communities.gov.uk/energy-certificate/1100-7114-0522-8003-1793

When I've more time I'll scrutinise the survey more, but it looks like I'm covered and since I see this as bs anyway I'm happy with that.

Any one looking to investigate that my EPC is up to date can see that it is. Should it transpire that the company aren't doing this legally would 'I' be held to account?

PS. Don't dob me in if you wish to dob them in.

and better still give me a couple of days to get the Welsh bunch out of the way (some sort of smiley).

11 minutes ago, Carryon Regardless said:

Any one looking to investigate that my EPC is up to date can see that it is. Should it transpire that the company aren't doing this legally would 'I' be held to account?

If I post on this site the reasons why its illegal (only if it is), maybe yes. But cross my palm with silver and I'll keep quiet,😀 

Well, I have just found out that a EPC assessor when entering the details of a property on the EPC software he HAS TO/MUST tick a box to state he has visited the property. Also to take electronic photos that are GPS, date and time stamped which they have to keep in case they get audited. If they get audited  the auditor will pick 5 reports at random to check and every one he  finds fault with will mean another 5 reports are pulled to check.  I think if they get 2 faulty one the assessor is suspended as an EPC assessor. 

The silver is yours Grampa.

So he is a naughty assessor.

Perhaps he is depending on his audit being held off until post covid. Prior to he doing the Welsh bunch, at a quoted £30 each I should research any personal risk.

Tbh I am quoted £38 each by a local (to Wales) assessor so maybe just coughing up the little extra is better for peace of mind.

I have just 3 weeks ago had an EPC done exactly as Grampa described above.

£50 which was acceptable to me. 2 copies. one for me and one for the new tenant. Job done. Sit back and relax.  😀

( I should add though I had a new 'A' rated boiler installed and all new radiator TRV's installed which brings your EPC score right up.)

I am having another EPC done next month on another property..........and repeat the above.

Last eve I was looking at through my epc's online.

Recommendations for under(solid)floor insulation, est cost £1,500 - £2,000. Saving £47p.a. You might think that's silly till I tell you of another that recommends a wind generator est cost £4,000 - £6,000 to save £9 p.a. That on a 2 bed terraced house where the thing couldn't realistically be sighted any where and if the rear drive had one I envisage the neighbours would dismantle it so they can sleep at night.

That one was scored low for sandstone outer skin, is that worse than clay brick? But it recovered some for the (assumed) cavity wall insulation it doesn't have.

3 top floor flats are rated at D. 2x 2 ground floor are rated at E because they don't have loft insulation in the loft they don't have, while being far better protected from the elements.

To gain a couple of extra points score we should install low energy lamps (bulbs if you prefer)to save the T money. Aside from them giving them to mum I feel they should be responsible for saving their own money.

The whole isn't deserving of respect. But at least we aren't threatened with a £30k disproportionate fine like the electric inspection.

BTW has anyone spotted that we can be inspected  (electrical) by the 1st April and if the inspection details problems we have 14 days to address issues. I feel it to be a rather tall expectation to find a contractor to carry out extensive works and get reinspected in a 2 week period. The only way to avoid the potential of the fine would be to relocate T's in a hotel.

This is Scotland. They are unable to create 'new' tenancies in a property with epc rating of E (or worse) from 1 April 2022, it must be D or better.

By 2025 existing tenancies will be illegal with E rating.

Are we following suite? I've limited time but can't see anything that relates to us.

22 hours ago, Grampa said:

Well, I have just found out that a EPC assessor when entering the details of a property on the EPC software he HAS TO/MUST tick a box to state he has visited the property. Also to take electronic photos that are GPS, date and time stamped which they have to keep in case they get audited. If they get audited  the auditor will pick 5 reports at random to check and every one he  finds fault with will mean another 5 reports are pulled to check.  I think if they get 2 faulty one the assessor is suspended as an EPC assessor. 

It just goes to show that legal requirements and common sense should not be used in the same sentence.

How absolutely ridiculous.

Providing online EPC certificates for those properties that have had no changes makes perfect sense wether in a pandemic, with all the existing restrictions or not. 

• 3 weeks later...

Just renewed all my properties EPC's.   (last one is next week)  I forgot that one by 1 year.  All done for £50 per property and completed to my satisfaction I have to say.  I never realised that there is a Government website which records your property valid EPC certificate and also when it has expired.  Handy I guess for local councils to check up on us landlord's before smacking you with a fine for non compliance.     All EPC's are valid for 10 years.

I only know of one local council that actually has my properties registered. And that is just one property I have in Hydburn (Accrington) through their Selective Licencing scheme.

Even the Welsh Rent smart don't record my properties.

Hydburn do ask for my gas cert each 12 months, they haven't asked for my EPC, and I'm wondering if they will take interest in the EICR.

It seems that the policing of the ever increasing initiatives, in the main, are still ahead sometime or down to an event that causes investigation. T's taking a complaint to Shelter would do it of course.

My last comment above was that lat piece of jigsaw that helped me realise why Shelter get so much support from the state, more often locally. They are the unofficial policing of us for the state.

Think ii found my own answer: 

Once an EPC has expired, a new one is only legally required when a new trigger point is reached i.e. before the property is next marketed for sale or for let. For clarity, a new EPC is not required simply because an EPC has expired.

Fine is 12.5% of the rateable value or £750 where they can not work it own. How do they apply a rateable value to a none commercial let, maybe base it on the council tax?

...............or I believe if you carry out upgrades to the rental property like installing double glazing, new condensing boiler etc. to raise your EPC grading upwards.  Could be wrong on that as a firm fact.

I have just had EPC completed on 3 properties mainly to ensure I have everything in order for the coming future.

All my properties now have the new Electrical Certification certificates in place and Legionnaires Certificates. Gas Certificates (no problem getting those done.)    😀

I wonder what they will think of next for us landlord's having to comply with.

Incedently,  little story. My Son carried out a gas certification on a rental property last Friday where the tenants have not paid any rent for 2 years and the Landlady cannot evict them through the Courts due to the current covid crisis legislation. Perhaps the Government would like to address matters such as this with a new certificate of compliance for tenants to honour legal contracts.

There is lots of info out there. Much misleading, some inaccurate. I would be interested to see the info Nev M has as my understanding is different.

I read the link below at speed so may well have missed something. But lower down where it details the penalty it is at £200 for not producing or providing an EPC to those entitled.

An EPC is valid for 10 years, after that we are liable to have a new one produce d. I'm happy to be shown my error on this.

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/671018/A_guide_to_energy_performance_certificates_for_the_marketing__sale_and_let_of_dwellings.pdf

Mel I thought our requirement for the legionnaires fallacy was to carry out a risk assessment. I've done all mine informally, in other words in my head, on the basis that if challenged by a clip board carrying school leaver I can justify or simply request the smart pants points out the risk/s.

I haven't heard of formal certificates, just sprung up from nowhere assessors offering a pointless service. Again, happy to be enlightened.

As I understand it COR any competent person can carry out a Legionnaires check on a rented property or you can pay a person to do this for you.........my EPC Man carries out this work for LA's and anyone else for a fee.

I do use a professional looking form though which available to download from the Residential Landlord Website and I think that by doing this if I was ever challenged, for whatever reason, on the matter I have carried out my duty as a landlord to check water systems within the property.

I've just been chatting to Mrs Me, she says I look to deep, duty of care, demonstrating responsibility if challenged and all that. It seems you think like me Mel. Not paranoid 'cos the gits are out to get us.

And the design of all this ever changing and increasing responsibility and confusion is that we shall fail in compliance.