Bad tenant register

Phkarentel

There is already one in existence but with previous discussions on this matter you have to be 100% sure of what you are saying is correct otherwise it could backfire on you with legal action taken against you for slander.

There are or have been a number of these registers out there over the years which mean the value is diluted. I am not aware of agents using them who I'm sure would do if there was a good platform out there that worked and was legal.

There are so many reasons why there has never been a bad tenant register from a legal, moral, financial, legislative, data protection & social perspective.

Plenty of people have wasted a big chunk of their time & money with this idea......if you think there is an untapped opportunity why don't you give it a go ?

I agree there is an untapped opportunity for someone. After all it wouldn't be much different to the google and FB review sites you have for businesses now. But then there could be a big reason why someone hasn't started one and if so I suspect it is the legal liability risk involved. But it only needs to ask a few yes or no questions such as the below and give a email address  to discuss further if required. But even with the below info you MUST to do all the normal other checks as well but it can give a bigger picture on the suitability of the applicant.

1. Period of tenancy: From ______________ to ____________________

2. Amount of Rent pcm: £ ____________________

3. Did any rent arrears occur? YES / NO 

4. Has all rent been paid on the correct time? YES / NO 

5. Was there any disputed deposit deductions? YES / NO 

6. Have you received any complaints regarding these tenants? YES / NO 

7. Would you rent to this tenant again? YES / NO 

All those point are great but the last one would be the most important to me (point number 7) "Would you rent to this tenant again? YES / NO".

Would be great if a DB existed for this.

However I also suspect that legal may have a role to play against this. Even most employers also only give a reference to the extent of saying yes you worked for them from this date and finished on that date so there can be no legal come back.

Landlord references.

Their T is a nuisance and they are happy for them to leave. Why would they want to put you off taking them? You are highly un likely to gain possession of relevant tenancy history anyway. Sung for compensation would just be another gamble.

A good T may not get a reference so that could be a deterant and the happy LL keeps that T.

Financial checks on the G'tor are more valuable, 

This subject has been discussed for almost the whole of the 20 years I've been letting property. It's been raised on every forum I've been on in that time and always, always been rejected as just not possible.

If it was a viable business opportunity ......it would have been done.

It may be there is a legal risk or a data protection problem of it just requires a large financial comittment. In any event, it hasn't happened and I don't think it ever will.

On its own having a reference with those questions answered doesn't have a lot of value. But with a detailed application form asking for previous landlord/agents as well and all the other stuff such as bank statements etc you can built up a bigger and better picture of the person and how they conduct their life.

I suppose it follows that if a bad T register was desirable then a bad LL register would be also.

While there are 'stated' efforts to improve LL qualification and the quality of their stock, and there is a record of LL prosecutions, we aren't subject to resentful T revenge as a register could become.

• 3 weeks later...