One for Mel, Gas.

A discussion on another, car, forum.

My strong belief is that any interference affecting gas integrity w/o Gas Safe certification runs the risk of prosecution.

Another believes it's ok if it's 'only' DIY.

The rules on dealing with any gas appliances including disruption of gas supply to any appliances are clear and laid down in UK.Gov. Gas Law as to who can carry actually carry out this work. 

The answer is simple really: Only gas registered engineers. Sure there are many people who will carry out this work themselves believing that they have sufficient knowledge in what they are doing. This kind of approach is OK until anything goes wrong and that individual could face prison or a really heavy fine if anything should go wrong. This has been the case for many years and it is well reported if you search it out. One of the latest incidents that I am aware of was a Landlord in Reading (I think it was) was fined £5,000 for knowingly allowing a non registered heating engineer ( Plumber) to install a gas fired boiler.  There are many such cases that I have read about over the past years.

Any landlord would be a fool not to follow the rules on gas safety certificates for their tenants as the HSE and the law courts would come down very heavily on those persons who break the strict rules on gas safety.

I have put this link up for any person viewing this topic to read and digest.

https://www.hse.gov.uk/gas/landlords/gassaferecord.htm#

Facts that perhaps most people are not aware of. All gas registered heating engineers have to be re-certified every five years and it means a week off paid work and back into the classroom and a cost of around £1,000 to be re-certified on the UK gas register.   Gas inspection electronic print-out analysers have to be re-calibrated every year at a cost of £150.  The anylisers have a life of around 5 years and cost approximately £800 to buy.

Not in London area...... but the average price of a Landlords gas certificate is £80-£85 for peace of mind and tax deductable.

My Son charges £70 inc VAT....... and a charge of £50 to me 😀

*I am having a gas safety boiler service carried out this morning*

I am charged between £45 and £80 for the annual gas cert. The number of appliances can make a difference, but in the lesser affluent areas the charge is usually less.

To clarify, any and all works on gas are prohibited, even by the DIY'er in his own home?

My view is that storage heating is naff. There is next to no control and the heat has often escaped by late afternoon on the colder days when the heating is wanted. The additional cost of a gas inspection would be more than paid for by the additional rent these properties can achieve.

The dreaded flats have them, but still it's good enough for the majority that live there.

Gas is so last year. The future is electric.......the Gov have already stated that's their position. Renewables.....solar, wind and wave power supplied to electric heat pumps that double up as air conditioners in summer.

The beach is a bit far for cabling to,

I suppose I could put some pretty panels on the roof, or a turbine in the front parking area. Imagine the claims that the washing keeps going missing from my tenants though. "I thought it was a rotary drier".

Just possibly our Gov't's will be a bit pre occupied for a while using our new taxes to pay the debt we are presently accruing though, and historically Wales uses the renewable 2nd homes of the English for their heating.

3 hours ago, Carryon Regardless said:

To clarify, any and all works on gas are prohibited, even by the DIY'er in his own home?

In a word...... Yes.......but this doesn't mean to say that many DIY's don't do it for themselves.

&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&

"Domestic properties, schools etc. In domestic properties and workplaces such as shops, restaurants, schools and hospitals, this must be carried out by someone on the Gas Safe Register who is qualified to work on gas appliances.

It is illegal for an unregistered person to carry out work on any domestic gas appliance. You can check this by contacting the

Gas Safe Register online or by calling them on 0800 408 5500.

All those who are registered carry a Gas Safe ID card, which shows the type of work they are qualified to do and whether their qualifications are up to date".

&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&

You often see the results of DIY attempts at gas fitting with a picture of a big pile of bricks in the daily newspaper and an urgent hospital appointment for the homeowner, assuming that they havn't blown themselves to bits that is.  Yes, I'm talking about illegal gas meter by-pass hoses.

The HSE will investigate incidents such as this and after the investigation if it rules that dodgy gas fitting was the cause then expect the worse......and that includes the registered gas fitter/technician as well........ as well as the amatuer DIY'er.  Oh! and your property insurance company will not pay up either but there again if you are trying to save a few quid with false economy by not having a professional do the certified gas work for you the chances are you won't have your property insured either as you regard it as an unecessary expense.

.............and on a more cheerful note I would like to say my rental property today has had a full boiler inspection (and the kitchen gas hob) and service and a clean bill of health and a nice shiny landlord's certificate is now in my hand.

I can sleep soundly tonight.

CORONAVIRUS (COVID-19): ADVICE FOR LANDLORDS

The HSE have provided the following guidance for landlords. 

Reviewed 27th April
Last updated 16th April (links to Government guidelines updated)

Landlords have a duty of care to their tenants. This is a legal duty to repair and maintain gas pipework, flues and appliances in a safe condition, to ensure an annual gas safety check on each appliance and flue, and to keep a record of each safety check. During the Coronavirus (COVID-19) outbreak, there is a balance between ensuring people, including the vulnerable, are protected from possibly fatal risks arising from carbon monoxide exposure or gas explosion, while doing what we can to protect people from COVID-19.

Current guidance from HM Government states that work can still be carried out in people’s homes where necessary, eg for reasons of safety, provided that the GOV.UK guidance on social distancing is followed. See ‘Advice for engineers’ for guidance for engineers and their employers regarding working in peoples’ homes.

The law is flexible and where it is not possible to carry out a gas safety check, it will normally be enough to show that you took reasonable steps to do so. In the event you are unable to gain access to the property, eg refusal of access due to tenants self-isolating, or if you are unable to engage a registered gas engineer to carry out the work due to a shortage of available engineers, you will be expected to demonstrate that you took reasonable steps to comply with the law. This should include records of communication with the tenant and details of your engineer’s attempts to gain access. You should seek to arrange the safety check as soon as all parties are available.

That's right Grampa..........My Son has Government permission to move around the area and carry on with his work and he has done so this week on boiler breakdowns etc.

On 5/1/2020 at 1:43 PM, Melboy said:

The rules on dealing with any gas appliances including disruption of gas supply to any appliances are clear and laid down in UK.Gov. Gas Law as to who can carry actually carry out this work. 

The answer is simple really: Only gas registered engineers. Sure there are many people who will carry out this work themselves believing that they have sufficient knowledge in what they are doing. This kind of approach is OK until anything goes wrong and that individual could face prison or a really heavy fine if anything should go wrong. This has been the case for many years and it is well reported if you search it out. One of the latest incidents that I am aware of was a Landlord in Reading (I think it was) was fined £5,000 for knowingly allowing a non registered heating engineer ( Plumber) to install a gas fired boiler.  There are many such cases that I have read about over the past years.

Any landlord would be a fool not to follow the rules on gas safety certificates for their tenants as the HSE and the law courts would come down very heavily on those persons who break the strict rules on gas safety.

I have put this link up for any person viewing this topic to read and digest.

https://www.hse.gov.uk/gas/landlords/gassaferecord.htm#

Facts that perhaps most people are not aware of. All gas registered heating engineers have to be re-certified every five years and it means a week off paid work and back into the classroom and a cost of around £1,000 to be re-certified on the UK gas register.   Gas inspection electronic print-out analysers have to be re-calibrated every year at a cost of £150.  The anylisers have a life of around 5 years and cost approximately £800 to buy.

Not in London area...... but the average price of a Landlords gas certificate is £80-£85 for peace of mind and tax deductable.

My Son charges £70 inc VAT....... and a charge of £50 to me 😀

*I am having a gas safety boiler service carried out this morning*

Should be free for dad

12 hours ago, kanrent said:

Should be free for dad

No, I don't really expect it to be free. He has a business to run and all that entails with running it plus of course a mortgage, 2 Kids and a Wife to support.

Over the years past he has done an awful lot of work for me from boiler changes to full central heating installations and the prices have always been very acceptable and comparibly cheap for me.