WASPS

adonaghy

Hi, II let a house and tenants have resided there over three years. The house sits central as a mid terrace with two flats on each side. The neighbour of one of the lower flats tells me that’s wasps are around front of house asking me to address this. Is this my responsibility to do this or tenants ? Neighbour who contacted me is the most toxic woman I’ve ever met so happy to get in touch with tenants to resolve problem but wondering what the ‘official’ stance is. I’m in Scotland 

The weather is warm, it's the time of year for wasps so you've got to expect a few here and there.

Your tenants haven't complained so let the neighbour sort out her own problems. I'm sure there are plenty of proprietary products on the market that she could purchase and use. In England we expect people to help themselves as a first course of action.....not talk to the next door landlord.

If the wasp nest is located within the exterior of your rental property and you can see them flying in and out of the nest then it's a quick and easy job to spray the nest with a wasp nest foam killer. Whether you choose to do this is up to you really if only just to keep the peace and an easy life.

My house always suffers every year from at least one wasp nest and every year they come back again. In fact only yesterday I had the "Queen wasp" circling my lounge looking for a suitable nest site.

Always a quick spray does the trick. Queen wasps are normally much bigger than a normal wasp.

If the wasps/pests have gained entry due a hole that shouldn't be there, than it is a failing of the landlords repairing obligations and therefore the landlords responsibility. Otherwise the tenants responsibility to resolve. 

All very useful info BUT the OP hasn't mentioned a wasps nest ....... the neighbour has only said there are wasps around the front of the house.

I don't see that a landlord is responsible for a few wasps.

Perhaps Adonaghy can clarify ?

I wouldn't hazard a guess at Scottish law.

A few years ago a Welsh tenant contacted me with a nest problem. Since wasps can get in small holes it's easy for them to set up a nest in voids. On the principle that the nuisance wasn't there at the start of a tenancy veiwed that I had no liability, and certaily wouldn'r cobsider I would have liability or interest to satisfy an obnoxious neighbour who should go through my tenant anyway.

The Welsh nest was late in the season and my research suggested that the grow through the season and upsetting the nest late on could cause them the become a greater nuisance. A nest caught early shouldn't be as big an issue, less risk. My understanding was that wasps don't return to the same nest in following years.

Hi, thanks for responses, I appreciate them. The property did appear to have a nest with wasps seen going out about 4 years ago. It was treated and brickwork sealed . As mentioned by Carry on Regardless , I’m of the impression they don’t return to same hive. I’ve spoke to tenant who says she’s seen a couple of wasps in garden of the neighbour,  but none front or back of my house. I’m going to ignore Mrs Toxic now but happy she’s not in a position to claim I’m neglecting any of my duties.