Boiler Replacement

Carryon Regardless

A new boiler has been fitted in one of my properties.

Fitted by a Gas Safe engineer, well one of his contractors.

The price was to include everything but as there was some urgency to get heating and water restored for the T's I didn't clarify what is 'everyhting'. It was stated that this included electrics though.

As much as he was aware that it was a rental property it could be argued that updating the gas certificate is an extra, but to my mind a reasonable expectation by me.

I'm aware that the controls are now legislated to provide for more efficiency, and it follows that replacing a 20 year old boiler would mean updating the controls to comply. What would be the minimum  type of control to expect as 'including everything'?

I'd suggest a boiler t'stat, a wall t'stat, a hot water tank t'stat and a time control for heating and hot water......all basic no frills items.

I thought i read somewhere that you don't need a gas cert when you have a new boiler installed cos you get certification for the new installation from the certified Gas Safe installation engineer that will last for 1 year and you then need a gas cert in a year's time.

Someone who knows for sure will probably be along shortly......

Your new boiler will be (should be) registered by the installer with Gas Safe and they will notify your local council building control and it is Building Control who issue a compliance certificate forwarded to you.

In my experience a landlord's safety certificate will be issued if requested at the time of the installation but for the 1st year you are not legally required to have a certificate with a new boiler.

Yes a new boiler doesnt need a new cert for a year but its not as simple as that. If you have other gas appliances in the property they will still need to be tested on the normal renewal date.

Also if you have to evict you have to provide a valid gas cert and risking having a old duffer of a judge turning his nose up at a compliance certificate not realising a new boiler doesnt need a "normal" gas cert is not worth the risk. 

As Melboy says most installers will provide a "normal" cert with a new boiler. 

At Friday's instal the controls hadn't been updated, there is to be a compliant wireless control to be fitted Wednesday by a Part P sparky.

I'm attending again Wednesday to go over the job with the engineer and pay for the job if all is good. 

Not unreasonably the engineer has been pushing for his cash, from my side I wanted to be sure that the job was up to required spec prior to payment. Being trusting I've recently been stung by paying first and then trying to resolve an issue later when the there;s no longer the incentive by them.

The gas cert was carried out in May. If there is no up to date gas cert it's good to know I'm still legaland won't push for one. There would be no sense in not including the new boiler next time and that'll do.

Thenks for the useful input chaps.

COR The important part here is that your new installation is registered with Gas Safe. It has been known that major companies will not honour boiler guarantees if the installation has not been registered.

You are right to hold payment until the job has been completed to your satisfaction and requirement. I bet your engineer didn't carry out a system flush before fitting the new boiler? and was a Magnatec water system crap collector fitted to avoid clogging up the new boiler?

I attended early on but had other things to do so didn't monitor through the day.

I spoke to the instalation tech to be sure he understood my slight redesign, in that the boiler was being turned 90 degrees and will fit inside a 600mm wall cupboard next yesr when the new kitchen is programmed for. The extra 100mm being a little easier for future servicing.

He spoke of a flush and was telling me it should get one each 12 months, I'm not so sure about that bit as he was fitting the crap collector (he showed me). This is fitted high and will be disguised behind a panel above the new units.

I was keen for him to run pipework close to the wall below so as to maximise inside cupboard space down there.

The T's have advised me on some of the finished results but tomorrow I want to see for myself, and receive paperwork in exchange for the money. A receipt with an address for service is my expectation.

OK Got that.   Also to bear in mind........and I am assuming you chose a quality boiler like a Worcester Bosch with their 7 year parts and labour guarantee.........:P      that for that guarantee to remain valid then  an annual service is mandatory and your inspection/service is signed and dated  in your manufacturer's accompanied service booklet.

Archived