Expenses Claim for Plants

Richlist

Has anyone else ever made an expenses claim for replacement plants ?

It's not a question I recall ever being asked before...so, here's the background:-  Outside the front door on a couple of my rental apartments (next door to each other) I have a large potted plant outside each. They look great as the front doors are next to each other. They have been there, tended, watered and generally looked after by various tenants over the past almost 18 years. However, they appear to have entered old age and one looks like it has died and the other seems to be on its last legs. So, I want to replace them. Two replacements of the same type &7 size are £220 and by the time I buy a couple of new pots I'm looking at a total of around £300.

I'm planning to offset the cost as a legitimate expense.........what do you think ?     Reasonable, realistic, entitled to claim ?

To claim from a tenants deposit there would have to be a very well written clause within the AST but even then questionable if disputed in my opinion.

Regarding a legitimate expense, what if you had to replace some turf that had died or had to replace a hedge row that defined boundaries? I know bugger all about accounts so I dont know how relevant that is or if it helps.  

Sorry, I realise my post may be misleading. I'm not planning on claiming the cost from a tenants deposit. I'm planning on claiming it as an expenses against rental income to reduce my tax liability. The more I think about it the more I'm convinced it's a legitimate claim. I think it's one of those grey areas in tax where there are no guidelines but if it's reasonable, logical and one can put a case for the claim then it's probably allowed. Just wanted others opinions.

Archived