Fridges

Richlist

I've never been very fortunate in my rental properties with fridges. Every time I put a new fridge into a property, within 12- 18 months I usually find that the door to the small freezer/ice box is broken off, usually due to ice. This is normally because the tenant hasn't defrosted the fridge.

I've just had another broken fridge returned so I guess I have two main options:   (the previous tenant will be contributing to a replacement via their deposit!)

1. Buy a more expensive fridge with auto defrost.

2. Buy a small 2 door fridge/ freezer instead which has a separate compartment/ door for the freezer.

Price for basic fridge was around £110. Price for small fridge/freezer £140

I've decided to go with option 2.......What do others do about fridges ?????

I always supply a 'fridge where possible. More often than not the tenant will have their own fridge freezer anyway.  I always buy second hand 'fridges as well for around £60.  Plenty available if you look for them and most of them are nearly new..  The last one I bought for £50 has lasted 8 years and is still going strong so for me this plan works.

I have a spare f'ridge in my garage which I keep for any replacement but so far after 3 years nobody has asked for it.

Washing machines I just do not supply. Too many bad experiences over the years with tenant abuse and high repair bills.

I find tenants tend to have their own ginormous fridge/freezer arrangement but there are exceptions - in London where white goods are expected I provide matching J.Lewis under counter fridge and freezer.

In my 2 furnisheds elsewhere I am supplying the Kenwood or Russell Hobbs ( same maker)under counter fridge freezer combo in black.(£120).  Had one 3 years now and no problems - looks stylish and does the job especially in 1 bed units. 

Funny enough we had a very nice 'fridge in silver come into our Cancer charity shop today  (. I work 1 day a week for a Terminal Cancer Hospice.. Tuesday )

It was spot on condition wise and I priced it up just £60. We probably get a dozen fridges or freezers every month and they normally do sell very quickly. The only downside is we can only offer a 7 day guarantee of return but it is very rare for items to come back to us. All PAT tested of course.

Thanks for the responses.

Some of those ideas are not something that would suit my situation.

* separate fridge and freezer won't work for me because in my small flats space is already a premium and they just wouldn't fit.

* not providing a fridge could be an option but my applicants expect to have one provided. Not having a fridge on the inventory might compromise it's ability to let and /or adversly affect its rent level.

* I don't want to either spend time sourcing a second hand fridge or have a spare stored just in case it's needed.

Funny how some tenants can jog along happily without a problem for 10 years or more and others manage to damage anything they touch.....oh the joys of landlords.

Archived