Automated thermostats

AmmaarK

Hi everyone!

Small intro: My name is Ammaar, I've been a Landlord for a few years now. Hobbies include fitness, technology and gaming mostly. 

Automated thermostats are now rapidly becoming a "thing" and it has gained my interest, a lot of this new technology seems to be getting smarter and smarter. I've researched about many thermostats, like Hive, Nest, Honeywell, Heat Genius etc. 

My goal is to find a fully automated heating system to trial on one of my properties to really test the money saving element of it. If it works out, then I can slowly introduce it more and maybe get one for my own property. If it doesn't then it's not the end of the world! 

The Hive, Nest, Honeywell are all great but the closest I've seen to a fully automated system is the Heat Genius hub. It's not completely automated but it can do things like learn a users heating behaviour, and also it uses weather data to turn rooms on later on warmer days. There's more but I won't go into it too much cause you can read it yourself: 
http://www.heatgenius.co.uk/programm...for-landlords/

But anyway, the main attraction to it is that all of these heating companies (Hive, Honeywell and the rest) allow the user to control their heating remotely through the internet. I think in some circumstances this would be useful to Landlords...

But what do you think? What is the best thermostat for Landlords? Would you see yourselves using devices like these now or even in the future sometime? Does anyone use an automated thermostat at the moment? Would love to hear what everyone thinks!

Cheers,
Ammaar

Why would I want to go to the expense and trouble of installing a system like you are suggesting for my tenant? My tenant is more than capable of selecting the temperature they want from a manual t'stat or for few pounds more an electronic digital one which can be temperature preset by the tenant for their own personal comfort.    I'm out.

I've installed programmable stats to a good few of my properties.

In truth they only offer disadvantage to a LL. Some are too complicated to programme for many T's and they generally resort to on / off control of the heating, As LL I need address any isues of lack of understanding not likely with a cheap rotate up stat. My instruction and leaving the instructions is no better. It would seem that Heatmiser (version 3) are providing some positive result but in truth I haven't questioned the T's to see what they think, they work in my home though.

Internet control for T's, with the associated additional cost and complications - not a chance.

I find my existing conventional gas central heating system with motorised zone valves,  on off programmer, wall stat, individual room trv's etc and someone with a family that has a conventional lifestyle works perfectly.

I don't understand what added value this new technology gives me.......other than  a hole worth hundreds £s in my pocket. Is it really cost effective ?

Agree with Richlist and Cor.

A lot of my tenants are over 55 and not internet savvy.   Amaark fails to realise or address this in his advert.  Typical of a certain age group I find.

'Scuse me Mortitia    You have been reported to Ester Rancid's Silver Line  for age discrimination comments.  :D

I too agree with responses.  Smart controls may be fine for smart operators but that's an attribute difficult (and low priority) for landlord to select for a tenant whose lifestyle may be quite  different from landlords and other tenants, and most probably unpredictable.  For many users, habitual daily use of a dial type manual thermostat is a lot simpler and quicker than internet, and can even be simpler and less trouble than a pre-set periodic timer (which can then be left on Continuous).  I assume most tenants pay their own heating bills - so best for landlords to enable them to learn to save their own money as easily and simply as possible.

As I see it, the advantage of smart heating controls is for those travelling away from home a lot who particularly need to remotely set their heating (and lighting) to suit variable times of arrival home.  Might be handy for those travelling back in winter from second / holiday homes / yachts on the med etc. but I wouldn't know!

Archived